Zagitova continues victory streak at home | Golden Skate

Zagitova continues victory streak at home

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2018 Russian Nationals Figure Skating Championships: Ladies

In the final event of the 2018 Russian National Figure Skating Championships, Alina Zagitova won her fifth gold medal this season and her first senior nationals title with 233.59 points. Maria Sotskova finished second with 221.76 points, while 14-year-old Alena Kostornaia won the bronze (216.57).
"I am happy with the long program" said the 15-year old. "I am glad that I was able to show good skating, to show what we worked on with my coaches. And of course I am happy with the score and the placement."
"I am very glad that the competition is over," said Sotskova. "It was very difficult one, both physically and mentally. There were some nuances before the event, which threw me off. I am happy that I was able to come out and deliver good performances. It wasn't flawless, but I avoided critical mistakes and earned enough points to for qualify for the European Championships, and, hopefully, the Olympic Games."
"Overall, I am happy with my performance," said Kostornaia. "There were no mistakes. I simply showed what we worked on and got great scores as the result."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' event?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Excellent event with ridiculous scoring at the top. The Russian ladies continue to up the ante year after year, no shortage of talent there that's for sure.

Still, I can't help but feel the absence of other top skaters like Medvedeva & Pogorilaya at this event. :sad46:

russianfan

Match Penalty
Excellent event with ridiculous scoring at the top. The Russian ladies continue to up the ante year after year, no shortage of talent there that's for sure.

Still, I can't help but feel the absence of other top skaters like Medvedeva & Pogorilaya at this event. :sad46:

Sad but i feel like Pogo is not a top skater anymore... though i would like to be proven wrong..
Next years there will be more and more skaters coming up to seniors and some of them are very consistent at least. But there is still only 3 spots. And making it into the team for Anna would be almost a miracle..
But even at this moment Sotskova holds this spot very strong. Of course i'm not even talking about two girls who both have been undefeated last 12 months, their spots are locked.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Zagitova is funny: “They applauded me a lot in the end of the program, in time with the music, and it supported me, made me want to jump again and again, but unfortunately the program came to the end.:laugh2:

fredtx121

On the Ice
Zagitova Sweep?

How likely do you think Alina Zagitova will win and sweep the entire season in her first year as a senior? Imagine her winning Europeans, Olympics and Worlds? Yes she has benefited from Evgenias absence due to injury, but I think it is very possible she can win all the major competitions this year.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that would be one epic season!! Best of luck to her in trying accomplish it :clap:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nah, cause Carolina for GOLD! :peace:

Now that would be a dream result!!!

But, much as I love Carolina, I can't see her beating Alina.

I don't want to put the muckers on her, but I do think Alina can do the clean sweep.

If you look at her fskate.ru Bio, she has only been beaten 3 times in the past 2 seasons:

October 2017: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in Japan Open
December 2016: 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in Senior Nationals
September 2016: 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in Ljubljana Cup

And that is out of 16 competitions! :drama:

The Japan Open is the only time Alina has been beaten in the past 12 months. And it was a different situation, as it was a Free Skate only competition.

Of course, all runs must come to an end. But, I do see this one continuing for a while yet.

CaroLiza_fan