"A Day in the Life" NBC profiles | Golden Skate

"A Day in the Life" NBC profiles

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stumbled on these today while reading another skating article. NBC profiled a whole bunch of Team USA skaters and every article is quite fascinating. It's really interesting seeing how similar their schedules are. I particularly like Timothy LeDuc's article. :laugh2:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/day-life-timothy-leduc

If you scroll down to the bottom, the entire list of skaters is laid out for you. Enjoy... I sure did, a half hour's worth of reading these instead of doing my work. :laugh:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Lots of my favorites here! Thanks for sharing. Some good tips too... they are all so dedicated!!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These little snippets are great; thanks for posting this. :clap:

But reading about their diets and their workouts I am impressed and guilty :slink:

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That was fun to read! I enjoy seeing how much time they typically spend on the ice every day. For most of them it ends up being 2.5-4 hours, in 45-60 minute or 1.5-2 hour increments (which according to some research is the ideal/maximum amount of time that we are able to spend continuously practicing something while maintaining a high level of focus).

Barb

Record Breaker
I was surprised to see some skaters who wake up at 8:00 -8:30 am, so late, I didn't think they could let themselves that, but I guess sleep is very important for athletes.

macy

Record Breaker
I was surprised to see some skaters who wake up at 8:00 -8:30 am, so late, I didn't think they could let themselves that, but I guess sleep is very important for athletes.

they may also consider that they normally don't compete until later in the day or evening, so why would they train very early? when I skated having a morning session vs afternoon session was literally like night and day for me, I NEVER skated well in the morning lol. just speculating.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States

Eteri said in an interview once that she never wakes up before 8am, to be well rested, keep her skaters well rested, and to look and feel good

pearly

Record Breaker
The figure skating schedule at the Olympics will be very different for a lot of elite skaters who no longer need to be at practice at 6 am. I cannot understand how the OC agreed to that.

noskates

Record Breaker
These looks into the lives of figure skaters were so much fun to read. The level of dedication it takes to be an elite skater is tremendous. Thank you for posting the link.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was really happy to see that, as a non-morning person myself. Also happy to see how many of them take naps and sleep so many hours. But I think there were also some errors in the articles; there were several skaters who said they woke up at 7:30 or 8 and were on the ice by 8... not warming up, on ice for their first session. And with said skaters talking about their complicated breakfasts and everyone else talking about their warmups, I think somewhere wires got crossed!

jf12

Final Flight

At most rinks at 6 and 7 am, even high level freestyles are crowded with people who have to go to school after skating. Most of the real elite skaters will get on the ice at 8 or 9. Just a generalization.

mrrice

Record Breaker
At most rinks at 6 and 7 am, even high level freestyles are crowded with people who have to go to school after skating. Most of the real elite skaters will get on the ice at 8 or 9. Just a generalization.

True!!! I remember getting up before the sun rose to go to the rink. I went to dance class after school and was in bed by 9pm.

jf12

Final Flight
These little snippets are great; thanks for posting this. :clap:

But reading about their diets and their workouts I am impressed and guilty :slink:

It's crazy how different some of their diets are. How does Max Aaron only eat 3 eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, and 6 ounces of protein and 1.5 cups of carbs for lunch and same for dinner, while Vincent Zhou eats a full breakfast of eggs and a roll and meat, with fruit and a glass of milk, chipotle or Asian takeout for lunch, and another full dinner of rice and meat and vegetables, and a midnight snack of fruit and yogurt. I guess it's that teen metabolism!!