Michelle is out of the GP series | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

BittyBug

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
I thought that she said yes when asked last week. That definitely sounds like more than she was maybe, possibly, thinking about making a commitment to attend.

Also, being bitterly disappointed is not at all the same thing as being bitter.
There seems to be some debate about that, but even still, how many people bought their tickets just last week? I know I bought mine many months ago. I hear what you're saying, but it just seems to me that everyone is ready to crucify Kwan on the basis of incomplete information, and it seems a little unfair (I'm not directing this at you specifically - just the general sense of many of the comments made about her withdrawal). At any rate, I'm not even an uber-Kwan fan, so I'll step out of this discussion. ;)

rain

Record Breaker
I make no speculation about Kwan's motives etc for not doing the circuit, though I do think she's put in enough championships to be able to schedule her own season. She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't feel like doing at this point. Any competition she does decide to go to she will automatically be considered a contender.

That said, I think it's a mistake for her not to compete at least once under COP before she hits Worlds (assuming she goes). Correct me if I'm wrong here, but she's never competed under COP before, and she may know the requirements on paper, but as with anything else, actually getting out there and having some experience with it is a whole different kettle of fish, so to speak. You can read all the regulations you like, but skating it is the only way to see what the judges are really looking at. Just my opinion, of course, and if she is indeed suffering an injury (totally her business if she wants to keep it quiet) then not skating the season may be her best option. I certainly think Plushenko is doing the right thing in taking the time to heal completely.

Jhar55

Medalist
I also bought my tickets months ago before the placements were given out. Yes I would have love to see Michelle skate again, but there will be lots of others to watch. I see on the list there are lots of new faces to watch, and I am going to enjoy every moment of it. Believe me living with pain is not fun so if Michelle has a ingured back in the long run it might be the best thing for her, there will always be another event to skate at.

IIRC the USFSA was always careful in its announcements to use language like, these skaters have been invited, or here are the assignments for the grand Prix events, etc. The web site for Mellon Arena, where ticket information, etc., is listed, always featured this picture of Sasha as the main confirmed draw for the event.

http://www.mellonarena.com/event/evt_detail.asp?id=228

Mathman

patsue1947

Rinkside
I don't understand this drastic need to compete under COP. Let's see--Sasha competed under it last year and by all accounts "blew" everyone else out of the water (in spite of mistakes, falls ,etc) and managed to win her GP assignments (alas and alack--not the final). Her program seemed to do just fine. Shizuka and Fumie seemed to do just fine with programs under their first outing with COP. I don't remember any of their programs adding elements as they went from event to event. My Lord--Michelle has been competing for 11 years--she has already stated a cop requirement on the spins. Evidently she and her coach have an inkling of the cop requirements. I would hope she hasn't spent this last year not reading up on what changes have been made. Michelle always knows what she needs to do be competitive. I think I'll trust her/their judgement on this. And yeah--I'm majorly disappointed I won't see her skate again until December, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it for now.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
First of all, a big "Amen" to Sk8m8.......very well said indeed.

We bought "L.A. Lakers" basketball tickets about 6 months ago. They are appearing at the Savemart Center in a pre-season basketball game next Tuesday. We're big Shaquille O'neal fans..........guess what.......he's now in Florida, but we're still excited to go and see the team. This happens, it's a part of life. I can't believe anyone lucky enough to attend Skate America won't have a great time...........Michelle gave her explanation. It's time to put a period and move on to the next event..........(or in my case, several periods..... :) )42

LBC

On the Ice
The risk Michelle takes is that she'll go in thinking that a something is level 3 or 2 on paper but the judges or rather the caller thinks differently. How many times did spins,spirals and footwork change levels from competition to competition? Sometimes the skater did something different but other times they did the exact same thing and caller said differently. What about her component scores? Sure she's a great presentation skater and on paper should get high scores from this program but you don't know until you skate it in front of those judges.

Michelle also isn't going to do a SP till Nats. Last year she had an old SP. She'll have a new SP that isn't COP tested either. This is a real risk.

heyang

Record Breaker
As others have mentioned, it may be a mistake to not compete under COP. However, I'm sure that the USFSA will offer as much support as possible and try to have her program evaluated. She's been in the game for a long time and knows a lot of people who would probably be willing to advise.

As for an explanation, it doesn't matter. She's not skating - period. If her back is bothering her, I don't blame her for sitting out GP series. I hurt my back in 1999 and it was excruciating just getting in & out of the car and getting dressed. I would stand during meetings instead of sitting because it was easier. As an athlete, she would be aggravating it even more with all the jumping, spinning and flexing. Assuming her goal is to be able to compete in Torino, then it's wise that she pace herself.

As for Skate America, the USFSA is probably upset, but she bailed them out when Sarah Hughes withdrew in 2001. The organizers of Skate America made the mistake of announcing MK's participation without her actual confirmation. I do believe that the ads for Skate America include a disclaimer with regard to actual participants. I'm sorry that people who were attending just to see MK will be disappointed. However, I'd rather see her withdraw from GP than be injured at Nationals.

BtW, MK can't promise to be at World's because she cant' 100% guarantee that she'll make it there. I think she can only reassure her fans that she is making every effort to be at Nationals.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
However, I repeat, if she gives reason for the withdrawal and assurances that she will skate Worlds, then it doesn't matter what the other Boards say.

Joe

How can she give assurances that she will skate Worlds? She has to earn the berth in National first. That's what she said she prepare for National in that article.

Can you imagine had she said she will skate Worlds, what the flames will she get?

SusanBeth said:
No one is asking for blood here, just a reasonable, considerate explanation. If it's her back, I'm sorry and wish her well and better. It's just that the career explanation at the last minute is pretty lame and pitiful. It may seem silly for people to feel disappointed in HER not being there, but that's the price of greatness.

ITA. All this blah about blind devotion doesn't play well with fans who want an explanation of this last minute decision. The theories created by the non explanation are quite wild and serve the nonKwans a field day for blasting and bashing her.

A simple explanation of the reason for the withdrawal would have been the correct thing to do and all this bruhaha could have been avoided. Now, the nonKwans have the theories and the conspiracy theories to play with. I don't think an explanation now, would change their glee, but it would make her action more plausable than keeping it secret, and we can get to ignore the theories.

Joe

alina

Rinkside
I am very surprised about her decision not to compete at the GPs. After watching her biography which impressed me very much I thought she would seriously prepare the goal to win gold in Turino. But I doubt that her strategy will work for her. She has to change things to do a professional preparation for the Olympics and it seems she is not willing to do that. I am astonished that she´ll give her last chance to make her dream come true easily away.

A skater who earns a lot of money with skating , has also a duty to the public and it´s not asking too much that the skater gives a reasonable explanation because of skipping a competition where she was announced. That has nothing to do that she needs not to do that because she has proving that she is a great skater and person.....or something like that I read in this thread......it belongs to her job and she is professional to take the money - so she has to be professional not only on the ice.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Am I missing something here? Did she not give an explanation as to why she is not competing in the Grand Prix, or is it some people just don't like the explanation that they are hearing? A true fan is a true fan no matter what.......if one doesn't like what their "favorite" does or doesn't do, pick another "favorite".....one who is perfect and who won't let you down..... :rolleye: 42

mzheng

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Am I missing something here? Did she not give an explanation as to why she is not competing in the Grand Prix, or is it some people just don't like the explanation that they are hearing? A true fan is a true fan no matter what.......if one doesn't like what their "favorite" does or doesn't do, pick another "favorite".....one who is perfect and who won't let you down..... :rolleye: 42
Exactly!!

Vash01

Medalist
show 42 said:

I am at a loss here. What explanation Did she give for not doing the GP's, and why this late? I am not questioning her motives, but if she gave an explanation I would like to know what it was. It seems I missed it when I read the announcement and it is no longer there on the USFSA web link. IMO she is OK with or without the GP's. She is one skater I don't worry too much about (except when it comes to the Olympics).

Vash

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Here is the truth. Michelle has been holding out on telling the real reasons for not participating in the grand prix. They are........................

1. ZERO (0) tickets were sold to skate America so she kind of indicated she may be there to help USFSA out. In return the USFSA promises to never use the Cop and will give her the National title as long as she wants it.

2. Shizuka's costume scared her.

2. She was so ashamed of Bolero after seeing Sasha's Nutcracker that after Campbell's she injured herself while trying to put all of HER jumps in the first two minutes of the program.

3. Miki Ando's golden blades brought back nightmares of Tonya Harding.

4. She is upset that she didn't have a costume like Julia Sebesten's. Not only could she have skated to Bolero but she could have been Torville AND Dean.

5. Michelle and Plushy have eloped.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Piel....

According to a Sekret Source, two of your speculations are right on the money. It's a Kostume Konspiracy!

:)

DG

euterpe

Medalist
Why do people demand that Michelle provide a 'better' explanation why she is skipping the GP? It really doesn't matter what explanation she gives. Kwan debunkers will find fault with anything she says and does.

Kwan hasn't competed in the GP for 3 seasons now. She's done six seasons of GP since the fall of 1995, and maybe she finds that touring and competing early in the season is just not the best thing for her.

I believe athletes must do what is in their own best interest, because no one else---particularly the ISU---gives a rat's gluteus maximus about their physical health and welfare.

Linny

Final Flight
Explanation

Wow, this is a popular thread! Took me quite some time to read all the posts to make sure I wasn't duplicating someone else's suggestion...

The reason, IMO, that the possible back problem is being under played is because a certain portion of competition is psychological. If the other skaters think that Michelle might be skating injured, it gives them a psychological advantage.

If she stays home, her competitors will have no idea and her mystique increases. She comes into a competition with the psychological advantage.

Linny

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I don't think the issue is whether Kwan should skate GP, but that, unlike the past two years, where she turned down the invitations up front so that the next skater would be seeded, she left her name on the list until a few weeks before her two events. She did say that she would decide in the Fall, and she's not responsible for the way USFS advertises her presence, but, according to a bunch of posts I've read, her agent confirmed recently that she would be in GP, which sounded like a decision in the Fall, and now she's announced that she won't compete.

I, personally, don't think Kwan owes me any further explanation, but her (future) livelihood is based on how hundreds of thousands of people are willing to pay to see her headline shows, particularly when their kids idolize her. Popularity is at the discretion of the audience, and each member of the audience decides individually whether or not Kwan owes him/her anything and makes a future buying decision based on that. I suspect that there are more than a few heartbroken kids who got their parents to fork over big bucks for Skate America tickets, and they don't care that they'll see Susanna Poykio or Yukina Ota instead. Hard-core FS fans can believe that skating is bigger than Kwan, even if they are disappointed that she won't compete, but most general fans treat a local competition as an extension of a show, and the advertised performers are expected to show up unless laid up. General fans buy far more tickets (to shows) than we do.

Maybe this affects only a small number of general fans in the vicinity of the competition, and the rest of the public is blissfully unaware of a "controversy," or maybe it has an effect on her fan base. But if lack of exposure to actual CoP judging hurts her at Moscow, which is more generally publicized, I think her stock will go down with the general skating public, particularly if she does not regain the World title. (Ex: one Associate Press article that mentions this and gets repeated across the country. Husband reading the sports pages taunts his wife and daughter with, "Look at what your little ice princess did, lost the World Championships because she decided not to be prepared, and you think Figure Skating is a sport?")

I think Plushenko's situation, for example, is different: he will qualify for COI each year based on his Worlds placements, which takes care of his NA audience, but his primary fan base is in Europe and Russia. He's competiting in CoR -- which makes it seem like Kwan could have competed only in SA as the host country invitee -- and he's performing a number of shows to his natural audience.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
Here is the truth. Michelle has been holding out on telling the real reasons for not participating in the grand prix. They are........................
Michelle and Plushy have eloped.

Piel, :laugh: :laugh: now that I could handle.

Dee