Dancing On Ice 2018! | Golden Skate

Dancing On Ice 2018!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
So I have been watching, we are halfway through the 1st episode and I was really impressed by Jake! I'll explain later when I have time to do a proper review :)

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I wish that the professional performance was a bit more... choreographic.. I was missing actual skating.

Yeahh I felt they were a bit hampered by what they could do on that teeny rink though. But still, geez, when the contestants are doing more actual elements than the pros :disagree: You're pros! Show us some actual skating!

On that note I'll start by saying I missed the opening and first performance, so I first saw Candice and boyyy howdy. It was a a bit of a trip first to readjust my expectations after watching so many skating competitions. And Candice was the worst of the night so it was a lot to adjust to. Everyone was nervous, Candice most of all and it showed. Now she is in the skateoff.
So then next was Jake. And Candice had set the bar pretty low, so I was kinda just hoping he could dance and leave any skating ability aside for now. So you can imagine my surprise when he pulled this out! Inside spreadeagles, crossovers, 3-turns, even an attempt at a waltz jump (that ended up being more of a hop but still!! He actually landed it :O) But then there were times he was just standing around waiting for the next thing, so casual viewers were most likely not internally weeping tears of joy.
Perri came on next and gave a good performance - in training they showed her partner explaining the importance of practicing lines and posture etc etc, and on the night she really built the atmosphere. On the other hand she spent most of it in hold being pulled around the rink. But as a performance it was cohesive enough and not just 'choreo here, now we do some steps, now some crossovers' that plagued everyone else I saw.
Stephanie was having real trouble staying on her feet in practice :( She kept falling on some steps at the beginning, and even went down on them in rehearsal but she got them live! ...only to wobble a bit later, luckily she was in hold so her partner could keep her upright. Her choreo was fairly simple but she didn't commit to it. In the end it was a very careful skate. But kudos to her for staying on her feet; she even said she didn't care that much about her score cuz she managed to not fall which was sweet. Building blocks! Baby steps! :)
Finally was Kem (allegedly a celebrity but I never watch reality TV let alone something like Love Island ugh also everyone save for Jake drew a blank for me anyway :shrug: ) and by contrast he really did try to not look so nervous and put on a show. He danced around quite well. His actual skating was mainly holding on to Alex and letting her do the big elements. But he had if not a sense of confidence a willingness to go for things and not worry so much. It was refreshing.

I felt like the show was lacking something... somebody? Not enough hosts/judges? We need more people! Louie Spence come baaack! (Was he really only a judge for one season? :shocked: I thought he was there longer.) Robin! Nickaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Anybody!
Also please boot Ashley Banjo who is a nice person but clearly knows nothing about skating at all. "Was it that hard?" Yes it was you numbskull! You absolute coat hanger!!! :bang:
T&D are yet to grow into their new roles as judges, but I think it'll come. Also there was a funny moment where Phil Schofield asked Chris Dean how it felt to watch the programs choreographed by the pros and even though he tried to say it was 'interesting' and 'very different' Phil saw right through him and Chris hid behind his desk :laugh: (I don't blame him. Some of that choreo was baaaad. Poor Chris.)
I tried to rewatch some of the couples on youtube but ITV cut off the start of Stephanie and Kem. :slink: Come on ITV, a huge production studio can't cut videos properly? Geez.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Heard Alex tied for first tonight! I know her and her mom (skated with her today) so I might be biased but I hope she wins :)

Spinning

On the Ice
Just finished watching it. And yes it is a big disappointment! I agree with the lack of choreography. I guess Jane and Chris doing a good job in the past making a void. But I think the whole productions are the letdown. I want Robin back too.

The last season 4 years ago was see such a Grande. Bringing it back at the Olympic season might be a bad idea!:sad21:

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I just discovered Mark Hanretty is one of the pros! :reye: He's skating with Donna Air this week. On a less happy note she's lost her skates :( They were stolen from her car last night. First Marissa Castelli and now her too - someone's gone on a skates-nabbing spree.
edit: It seems he always was - but I watched DOI long before I had any proper interest in fs so it's news to me.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just discovered Mark Hanretty is one of the pros! :reye: He's skating with Donna Air this week. On a less happy note she's lost her skates :( They were stolen from her car last night. First Marissa Castelli and now her too - someone's gone on a skates-nabbing spree.
edit: It seems he always was - but I watched DOI long before I had any proper interest in fs so it's news to me.

Although he had taken part in previous years, Mark wasn't supposed to be on the ice this time. He was supposed to be the choreographer for this series, but got called up as a late replacement for Lloyd Jones.

If you want to know more, here's how a Welsh paper reported the story:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/welsh-skater-lloyd-jones-ex-13932159

CaroLiza_fan

Spinning

On the Ice
Disco week! :yes2:

I love Perrie and I want her to win. But their routine are badly choreo though. Only her physical and athletic won't get her too far I guess. I have a feeling they have a winner in mind already with this kind of setups. :slink:

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I am so curious because apparently they are partially practicing for the show at my rink, so I'm now trying to sneakily get some previews.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kem and Alex should went to the final and Brooke should've been eliminated :( I'll watch Alex and Kem's skate when Alex's mom sends it to me.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Kem and Alex should went to the final and Brooke should've been eliminated :( I'll watch Alex and Kem's skate when Alex's mom sends it to me.

Absolutely!! Brooke robbed Kem and Alex of a spot in the final. He deserved to be there, both he and Max skated so much better than Brooke but the Corrie audience must be very attached to her. Broke my heart when he and Jake were hugging later, they seem to be great friends and I wished they could have made it together :(

Gaby and Guillame made a guest appearance this week which was great fun. Although the added Latin beat sounded really obvious and a bit distracting, which I hadn't noticed before, the crowd loved them.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Absolutely!! Brooke robbed Kem and Alex of a spot in the final. He deserved to be there, both he and Max skated so much better than Brooke but the Corrie audience must be very attached to her. Broke my heart when he and Jake were hugging later, they seem to be great friends and I wished they could have made it together :(

Gaby and Guillame made a guest appearance this week which was great fun. Although the added Latin beat sounded really obvious and a bit distracting, which I hadn't noticed before, the crowd loved them.

I just watched Kem and Alex's video, but I haven't seen anyone else's (I'm in the US). What I heard from twitter is that Brooke should've been eliminated weeks ago, and no one really knows how they're still in.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I just watched Kem and Alex's video, but I haven't seen anyone else's (I'm in the US). What I heard from twitter is that Brooke should've been eliminated weeks ago, and no one really knows how they're still in.

She's from Coronation St, a very popular soap that's been around for ages. I think that fanbase is keeping her in. She's not a better skater than Kem, and she's certainly not as good at performing as freely and expressively as Kem - I was quite surprised by the improvement he's made, no one can skate as well as Jake but Kem can listen to the music and capture the right mood. Brooke is really just going along with wherever her partner is putting her.
Corrie is also run by ITV so they might have a vested interest in keeping her in.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I am watching the final, and though Jake has knocked it out of the park I won't be surprised if Brooke wins because it seems clear to me that the producers are pushing her and her 'journey' like mad. I will be very upset but not surprised.

edit: thank goodness!!! Though she didn't half come close :drama: she did not deserve to be in the final imo.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Ok, in a little more detail:

Jake and Vanessa were the best, they have been the best basically the whole time, so glad they won. I feel terrible that I missed their take on Bolero because I was in the middle of dinner, hope I can catch it later.
Max and Ale were great too, robbed of 2nd. They did their 1st skate again and he really improved.
Brooke - she did improve, as well, but she was out of her league. She can barely skate tbh. And the producers were definitely pushing her, all her fluff pieces were made out to be very emotional and she was always thanking everyone for helping her and so on. I wanted to try and find something nicer to say but at the end when she was told she was 2nd she went all "oh was it fixed" on friggin camera and honestly Brooke if this was ever fixed it was in your favour!!! These soap stars, man. Always want to start drama :drama:

Torvill and Dean were magnificent, phenomenal, stunning, legends only etc :love: They skated to The Impossible Dream. Rink too small for their greatness. They are just so smooth! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3w96ZeS7XM (I would link something with better quality but ITV's clips always cut off the start or the end.)