Favourite Announcers and Announcing Teams | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favourite Announcers and Announcing Teams

ChanClan

On the Ice
I like the Canadian commentators. I really don't care about "bias". I love Tanith White and sometimes Charlie and Ben. I usually like the BBC commentators. I only really understand English so any other commentators that speak different languages I don't really have an opinion about because I don't know what they are saying.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Anyone have a favourite in house announcer? Not the commentators but the ones that say... next to skate representng.......

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
PJ Kwong. She does a great job introducing the skaters onto the ice in a clear and comprehensible fashion. And even when she makes a mistake, she corrects herself immediately in a way that is so professional that you easily forget that there had been a mistake in the first place. It's just like water off a duck's back for her.

And the fact that she does the announcing not just at competitions in Canada but also at so many international competitions (including the Olympics) shows how highly she is regarded.

Don't know who she is, but I also like the female Japanese announcer that we normally have at the NHK. I don't understand Japanese, like. Her voice just sounds really nice! :love:

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two words: Ted Barton (still bummed he didn't do Junior World's, was he meant to?)

I also like Dick Button, even when he complained about Plushy's arm movements :laugh:

I didn't mind Scott Hamilton either, actually it was nice to have someone so excited about the sport!

The British Eurosports guys get a shout out too, although I like Chris and Simon together rather than just one of them with some other guy (not sure who he is, he's got a Scottish accent?)

The Scottish guy is Mark Hanretty.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah. Started reading through this thread after posting my answer, and realised that the OP was asking about the commentators.

:eek:: :slink:

That's what happens when different places use the same terminology to mean different things! :bang:

Two words: Ted Barton (still bummed he didn't do Junior World's, was he meant to?)

Totally agree! His style of commentary should be the model for commentating on this sport.

The British Eurosports guys get a shout out too, although I like Chris and Simon together rather than just one of them with some other guy (not sure who he is, he's got a Scottish accent?)

The Scottish voice belongs to Men's skater turned Ice Dancer turned choreographer Mark Hanretty (ISU Bio; Stats On Ice Bio; Tracings Bio; Wikipedia)

I'm like you in that I prefer Simon and Chris together too. They have great chemistry together, and just bounce off each other. Actually, the same is the case whenever Simon and Catherine are commentating together. Suppose that's from working together on the tennis for a long time.

Still think that British Eurosport wasted Catherine's talent and expertise by using her just as a roving reporter at the Olympics... :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

LadyB

Record Breaker
I watch a lot of Russian coverage, even though my Russian isn't great. I like Sasha Grishin, he knows his stuff and is funny. TAT for her never ending enthusiasam, Trankov for his cheeky remarks and of course Fedor Klimov, when he does the commentary :love: He has the loveliest voice on earth!

iorii

On the Ice
Tara and Johnny are a big no, their channel is always my last go-to (there is absolutely no figure skating aired in my country though so illegal streamers can't be picky).

My fave are B.ESP guys obviously. And this French woman whose name I don't know in Yuzuru's Romeo & Juliet World. Her excitement 'quelle volontaire ! quelle volontaire !' and 'j'aime ce patineur !!!!' got me. If I'm not wrong, she also commentated during Yuzuru's Hope & Legacy World, saying 'this is the best program I have ever seen in my life!' repetitively. I love overexcited commentators :laugh:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
My Eurosport started speaking English suddenly, and I guess the British commentators are nice to everyone and try to show some insight but their style of commentary I find so irritating. They make pauses all the time as if they don't know what they will say next and as if they are uncertain of everything they say. I actually think Kurt and Carol are much much much better even if people on this forum like to slam them a lot.

I like Grishin (without TAT), Yulia and the pair guys Trankov and Klimov when they show up, and of course our Bulgarian commentator, he's the best. He commentates so enthusiastically and colourfully that watching skating is never boring with him.