What does it mean "senior/junior" level? | Golden Skate

What does it mean "senior/junior" level?

jessie

Rinkside
Hello everyone,
Firstly, I'm not from the US, that's why I'm not really good informed, please don't judge me.

Secondly, I'm a figure skater and I would like to join a skating show like Disney on Ice in the future :)... They say they are looking for skaters at least at junior or senior level.

Can please somebody explain me, what does it mean? Do I have to have the test, even if I know the elements?

Thanks for answers.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Hello everyone,
Firstly, I'm not from the US, that's why I'm not really good informed, please don't judge me.

Secondly, I'm a figure skater and I would like to join a skating show like Disney on Ice in the future :)... They say they are looking for skaters at least at junior or senior level.

Can please somebody explain me, what does it mean? Do I have to have the test, even if I know the elements?

Thanks for answers.

In international competition, senior-level skaters need to be over 15 and are required to do at least double axel and two different triples in their short programs. Juniors need to be over 13, under 19, and are required to do at least double axel.

Within the US, the terms "junior" and "senior" refer to test levels, not age. And it is possible to pass the US tests without the jump content required for competition at those levels. The tests consist of Moves in the Field (stroking exercises and patterns of steps and turns) which at junior and senior level require all the different kinds of turns in all directions, and freeskating programs requiring jumps up to double flip and double lutz.

So if you can do all the counters and rockers and twizzles, etc., in any direction and can do all double jumps except maybe double axel and can skate with power and speed on strong edges, you would probably meet the expectations for that show.

jf12

Final Flight
In addition, it's not enough to be able to do elements, the free skate test measures the ability to do them all within a 3:40 minute free skate, with combos, and with choreography, which is a whole different kettle of fish than doing those elements on their own.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone,

Thanks for answers.

gkelly and jf12 beat me to it and also described this very well, so I am going to second what they said, best of luck in reaching your dreams!