Inline Figure Skates: Useful or Not? | Golden Skate

Inline Figure Skates: Useful or Not?

Cassidy0816

Spectator
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have experience with using inline figure skates for off-ice practice? I'm on the fence as to whether I should get them.

A little bit of background info:
I was a relatively advanced skater (working on my double axel), but I unfortunately had to stop taking lessons and competing two years ago due to the academic demands of the high school I attend. I've retained most of my skating skills except for my jumps; without practice, I stopped being able to land them relatively quickly.

I still absolutely LOVE skating, and I'm looking for a way that I can keep doing it for fun on a regular basis. I've heard a lot of positive reviews about Snow White Inline Skates and Pic Skates, but most of them were from skaters who were just starting out. Does anyone know if they remain useful for skaters with more experience?

Thanks! :)

treesprite

Final Flight
There is actually a Pic Skate skating club in the Washington DC area, run by Nick Perna, owner of the Pic Skate company. They practice programs in both the Pic Skates and on ice. Strangley, no one I have ever spoken to has heard of it, but there is a website for it.

In other words, people are able to do the exact same things on the Pic Skates as their ice figure skates.

I would love to have a pair of Pic Skates, in the event I ever move to an area with no ice rink.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It feels a little different but I used to have a pair of pic skates that I used for off ice sometimes.

Cassidy0816

Spectator
Did you find that the skills you practiced off-ice transferred easily to on-ice skills?
Also: were the wheels durable enough to skate outdoors, or were they primarily for indoor skating at roller rinks/basketball courts?

treesprite

Final Flight
People do use them outdoors (look on YouTube). I can't remember if there are different wheels for it though, like there are for quad skates.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Did you find that the skills you practiced off-ice transferred easily to on-ice skills?
Also: were the wheels durable enough to skate outdoors, or were they primarily for indoor skating at roller rinks/basketball courts?

yes, you can skate all of those places in them.

Jezabel

Rinkside
Where I live there are no ice rinks, just a small crowded recreational once a year (Christmas), so I practise inline figure skating (with the Picskate frame). It's quite different but once you get used to it you can do almost the same as on ice, in fact for me it's more difficult (heavier skates, more friction etc) so when I skate on ice I feel a lot of improvement and feel It much more soft and easy... I totally recommend it :)

Cassidy0816

Spectator
Where I live there are no ice rinks, just a small crowded recreational once a year (Christmas), so I practise inline figure skating (with the Picskate frame). It's quite different but once you get used to it you can do almost the same as on ice, in fact for me it's more difficult (heavier skates, more friction etc) so when I skate on ice I feel a lot of improvement and feel It much more soft and easy... I totally recommend it :)

Thanks, that's really helpful! :)

HRunamucker

Spectator
Hi! Could you provide the link to the skating club in the DMV that you mention? I am super interested!! And any other info you would have on the club or ways to practice and get instruction in the area would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t been able to find this club, or any club, in Google searches. Thanks!!

HRunamucker

Spectator
There is actually a Pic Skate skating club in the Washington DC area, run by Nick Perna, owner of the Pic Skate company. They practice programs in both the Pic Skates and on ice. Strangley, no one I have ever spoken to has heard of it, but there is a website for it.

In other words, people are able to do the exact same things on the Pic Skates as their ice figure skates.

I would love to have a pair of Pic Skates, in the event I ever move to an area with no ice rink.

Hi! Could you provide the link to the skating club in the DMV that you mention? I am super interested!! And any other info you would have on the club or ways to practice and get instruction in the area would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t been able to find this club, or any club, in Google searches. Thanks!!