Tennell: "My consistency really helped" | Golden Skate

Tennell: "My consistency really helped"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie Tennell, three years removed from the national junior title, edged former champions Mirai Nagasu, Karen Chen and Ashley Wagner in winning the ladies gold medal at the 2018 U.S. National Figure Skating Championships on Friday in San Jose, Calif.

More...

"I wouldn't say I was nervous," the Carpentersville, Ill. native said about going into these competitions. "I was a little bit anxious in the warm-up, but with the time I had between the warm-up and when I skated, I could calm myself down and tell myself I could do it. I am still quite shocked."
"I am super happy with how things have gone," Nagasu said. "Even with mistakes, I scored the highest I have scored in the U.S. Championships, and I am so proud of myself. This is about my journey. I am enjoying that performance and what training that went into it. I went into this performance not expecting to be perfect. I was capable of doing this performance last year. Long programs are not easy, they are a test of our mental strength."
"I couldn't sleep at all after the short," Chen said. "I must have caught a virus and was stuck in bed all day. I couldn't do my practices. I had a lot of body aches and pains everywhere. I've done all I can, and I will keep thinking as positive as I can and all of the great things I have done. I spent the whole morning looking at going to the doctors. To keep thinking possibilities and visualizing the perfect skate today, I had to keep fighting for today."
"I am absolutely furious!" said the three-time U.S. champion and reigning silver medalist. "For me to put out two programs as solid as I did at this competition and to get those scores, I am furious. I am a performer, and that second mark is not there. I am absolutely OK with them being strict on my rotations - that's what U.S. Figure Skating should demand of its judges, but it needs to be across the board. I don't necessarily feel it's been that way. Even though I am not happy with the score, I delivered something that was solid and something that I am proud of. It needs a little more legwork, but that's because it's a month old, and I have no doubt in my mind that 'La La Land' was the program I needed to get where I wanted to be. This is how I feel, and I delivered when I needed to. All of these girls delivered when they needed to. I want to be on that Olympic team, and I am really mad that I am in this position again."

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' event?

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie Tennell, three years removed from the national junior title, edged former champions Mirai Nagasu, Karen Chen and Ashley Wagner in winning the ladies gold medal at the 2018 U.S. National Figure Skating Championships on Friday in San Jose, Calif.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ladies' event?

Whatever people think of Bradie and her juniorish Cinderella LP the girl has ice water in her veins. I don't ever worry about her jumps which is something new for a US lady of late really the last consistent US lady jumper was Rachael Flatt but i think Bradie is slightly more talented and Mirai finally put it together even though the 3axel still needs work and Karen being sick and gutting it out showed some guts when it was all on the line. As for Ashley burying herself in the SP yet again in an Olympic year cost her and she should not be named to the team. Sorry but there will be a riot if they pull that crap again and this time for a regressing skater who doesn't have the resume of 4 years ago and who is 4 years older.

ask

Match Penalty
Miss Bradie, she is like a swiss made watch. You can rely on her. I was not nervous watching her doing her things. I hope she can sustain this level of consistency because with each clean competition, she will go up and up.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Totally unexpected and totally deserved win!

By the way - I like the unpredictability in figure skating (and inall othes sports)

eriecold

On the Ice
Totally unexpected and totally deserved win!

By the way - I like the unpredictability in figure skating (and inall othes sports)

What are you talking about? Bradie was going to win no matter what. They want a girl than jumps and they got one.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I expected Bradie maybe to medal but not to win...

Hm, I thougth she was considered the big favorite to win this? To be honest, I don't think most expected Mirai to do as well as she did. But even then it wasn't enough to win. Who could have won apart from these two? Wagner? She's just not been there this season.

In my opinion, this was the most expected result.

mrrice

Record Breaker
After her medal at Skate America, I think Bradie was the favorite coming into nationals. She's so consistent and the way the rest of the field has been skating, her win was not the least bit surprising. At least not to me..

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I expected Bradie maybe to medal but not to win...

It was very, very clear from the start that the Fed wanted her and a massive neon sign on Times square would have probably been less obvious, than everything post that SP. She's consistent and though that is pretty much all she has going for her, it's enough for the Fed to want her.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
It was very, very clear from the start that the Fed wanted her and a massive neon sign on Times square would have probably been less obvious, than everything post that SP. She's consistent and though that is pretty much all she has going for her, it's enough for the Fed to want her.

Hm, I thougth she was considered the big favorite to win this? To be honest, I don't think most expected Mirai to do as well as she did. But even then it wasn't enough to win. Who could have won apart from these two? Wagner? She's just not been there this season.

In my opinion, this was the most expected result.

I mean - expectations from the very beginning of the season, not just before the Nationals...

For example - the Russian Nationals where predictable very much from the start of the season... And who could predict that Bradie, who even had got her sole GP by a home "wild-card", not by the ranking or PB, will become a Nationals favourite?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Is it just me, or is this “tall blonde new senior with good jumps in a blue dress winning nationals in the Olympic season” thing becoming a pattern? :biggrin:

I kid, but I’m very happy for Bradie! She seems like a very hardworking, grounded girl and I’m sure she’s thrilled to have made this team. She’s got her issues, but she’s what the US team needs, and I feel fairly confident that she’ll continue to skate at least fairly clean - which is not something I can say for many of her compatriots (sorry guys, I love you, but consistent you are not).

In other news, an article I saw spelled her name “Brandie.” Oops...

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
If she actually worked to have a proper lutz (not flutz)... hmm :think: