Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim: It wasn’t our best | Golden Skate

Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim: It wasn’t our best

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa Scimeca Knierim and Christopher Knierim will be grabbing the lone pairs spot on the U.S. Olympic team after the married couple won the 2018 U.S. National Figure Skating Championships on Saturday in San Jose, Calif.

More...

“It wasn’t our best skate,” admitted Christopher, 30. “We have a lot of strong elements that help us stay up in points, but we still need to get better in future competitions. We’re in a much better place now than in the Grand Prix series, and from where we’ve been, we are much better in practice. Everything is starting to come together.”
“I am so proud of my partner and how she has grown in the past month,” O’Shea said. “We have only been doing all of our elements for two weeks before Golden Spin. Her right knee is used to pick in those elements. Since then, we have had a little more time to feel comfortable and confident with our programs. That showed with our program this week.”
“I am glad to be here with these two teams,” Bartholomay said. “Last year, we said we would go home and work harder to push the envelope of what we can do. When you do what you love, it makes it easier. We are happy with ourselves and this competition.”
“I still need to learn a lot about pairs,” the former singles skater Stellato-Dudek said. “If I come out of my jump and I shimmy, he’s (Bartholomay) like ‘There’s no shimmy.’ I can’t change it on a whim. It’s only been a year and a half, but now I have a little bit of muscle memory.

Very proud of Stellato! "‘There’s no shimmy" .....:laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for the whole podium! I was tearing up over watching Alexa in the K&C! :love:

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
The fact that they can’t even land ANY side by side jumps is embarrassing and laughable.

skatemouse

On the Ice
The fact that they can’t even land ANY side by side jumps is embarrassing and laughable.

In the warmup for FS they landed them all. IN practice from what they have been showing on the SM they are making progress. It is by far their weakest of the 12 elements they do in the FS but improvement showing. The other 10 elements are perfection and none of the teams were perfect FYI. The other teams also skated with no pressure that is a nice thing. That was a lot of pressure they have never been in that position before so I hope they keep working and improve. Also S/k-K always peak later which is a good thing for the USA just skating well at Nationals does not help the US but that is usually what happens in pairs. I think had they skated "perfect"the score would have been embarrassing for the other teams. Keep going Knierim's the experience and consistency will come! GO USA! Everyone please stay together now and improve your other 10 pair elements so USA pairs can grow.

brightphoton

Medalist
My family watched this event, and they liked the second place team, the girl in the swan dress.

They were also confused why the Knierims won, since they fell so many times, and the swan team only fell once. They said the second place team was very artistic and pleasing. But they were also really impressed with the quad twist that the Knierims did, and said next time the swan team can try again next time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My family watched this event, and they liked the second place team, the girl in the swan dress.

They were also confused why the Knierims won, since they fell so many times, and the swan team only fell once. They said the second place team was very artistic and pleasing. But they were also really impressed with the quad twist that the Knierims did, and said next time the swan team can try again next time.

This is exactly the problem with the scoring system. The general public does not understand it.

noskates

Record Breaker
IIRC Chris has been injured and that has been hampering his jumping ability. Other than that, they are the best pair we've had in a very long time. Their quad twist alone puts them ahead of the others.

GGFan

Record Breaker

This is part of what makes skating difficult: do we make the scores more fall dependent? Yes that would help the general fan and there have been instances where I have wanted to see stricter penalties.

On the other hand in this case I completely agree with the decision but casual figure skaters may not understand because it's much harder to see if you're not looking for things other than falls. Even those of us who were not there live but watch pairs know that the Knierims skate bigger and have ice coverage and elements more comparable to top teams (though they are not in that tier).

I think it's just something that commentators and friends have to explain to casual fans because while I would love for them to easily be able to understand who won, I wouldn't have wanted Tarah and Danny's programs (which I liked better also) to win.

noskates

Record Breaker
GGFan - pretty much agree with you. However, I know zip about Ice Dance and it's intricacies but I can sure tell you if a team is good or not! I was in San Jose and I can tell you that the Knierems IMO outskated the field - even with the falls. As you mentioned, their ice coverage and they DO skate bigger. Their chemistry is palpable. And I honestly think if they get those damnable jumps mastered they are contenders. Their smoothness, their awesome lifts, the way Chris presents Alexa and that quad twist..... I really like Tarah and Danny but they look like a good USA pair team. We've had many of those in the past and they never quite make the grade internationally. Alexa and Chris take it to the next level.

I am all for penalizing falls more than we do now. But let's face it - casual figure skating fans are never going to understand the ins and outs of the judging system just like I don't understand the ins and outs of boxing or any other sport that isn't timed!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am all for penalizing falls more than we do now. But let's face it - casual figure skating fans are never going to understand the ins and outs of the judging system just like I don't understand the ins and outs of boxing or any other sport that isn't timed!
But they understood "fall and the people who didn't fall are more than likely going to be placed ahead of you." I mentioned this in another thread, but NCAA Gymnastics still uses the 10.0 system and people understand it, they love it and we sell out stadiums every Friday night. I was fortunate to go to the Men's Olympic Gymastic trials and the stadium was maybe one half full.

Wasn't it this year they started penalizing falls more heavily as the 3rd and 4th falls are 2 points, the 5th and 6th are 3 points, etc? Or has it been longer?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tarah and Danny's one big problem is the throw twist. In the SP, they got only L2 for their triple twist, as he barely caught her in time. They got 5.8 points to the Knierims' 8.2. In the FS, the Knierims did a quad twist for 9.32 points to 6.2 for K/O's triple. I'm not sure if the problem is due to strength on Danny's part, or a shoulder problem, but it is one of the Pairs skills that they haven't quite been able to master yet.