Miner sparks judges with quad Salchow | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Miner sparks judges with quad Salchow

pearly

Record Breaker
Casual fans don't care about that. They will say, if this 2nd place skater beat 3rd and 4th here, why wouldn't he beat 3rd and 4th at the Olympics, in one month?

4 years ago, I had to explain to my non-figure skating friends why 4th place Ashley was chosen over a 3rd place Mirai. Now again with 4th place Adam and 2nd place Ross. At least this time, it's a white guy bumping off another white guy, and there are two Asians on the men's team, so there aren't any ugly racist undertones.

I understand viewers are important, but it's not the governing body's job to cater to casual fans.

brightphoton

Medalist
Ashley's case was different. Mirai's performance at the time was dire in most competitions, with the number of URs that might as well have been stars in the skies. Not to mention, her Bond LP was too choppy. But in this case, when you have a guy already at the bronze position who has failed to prove himself at any of the GP, why aim at the person who is in the silver position? It just seems both unnecessary and unfair. If Zhou needs Worlds exposure then they might as well send him to Worlds instead.

You don't need to tell me this, I know.

I'm saying it's hard to justify to my non-skating fans, who see this as judges playing favorites

Which it is, to a degree

brightphoton

Medalist
I understand viewers are important, but it's not the governing body's job to cater to casual fans.

It's going to add to people not taking the sport seriously. Your results don't matter, just if some random unknown people in a committee like you

You don't even know why Ross was left off the team. Someone on the committee might not like his personality, or his 5 o'clock shadow, or his costume. The decision is not even transparent

pearly

Record Breaker
It's going to add to people not taking the sport seriously. Your results don't matter, just if some random unknown people in a committee like you

You don't even know why Ross was left off the team. Someone on the committee might not like his personality, or his 5 o'clock shadow, or his costume. The decision is not even transparent

Actually, I think they elaborated on their decision.

brightphoton

Medalist
Where? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely don't know where the article about their justification for decision is

pearly

Record Breaker
The presser is still going on or has just finished (I don't have IN). There are some comments on it in this thread here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68421-2018-US-Championships-Sr-Men-FS/page139

Sam Auxier: "We looked at the criteria, average scores through the season and head-to-heads. On the criteria, we looked Adam's seasons. He had one of the strongest seasons of all the men based on average scores. He was selected for Worlds last year but had to pull out due to injury."

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
There's a lack of transparency here that's upsetting. They need to say exactly what are the criteria for getting on the team, and stick with it.

Give a point value for a medal in the GPF of that year, or even the Grand Prix regular competition. OK, so Adam has two silver medals? He already has, say four points. Ross has 0? He has no points. Then give points for medals in the nationals. Whoever has the most points wins, with Nationals as the tie breaker, say. Of course, that would cause Jason to probably displace Vincent, and putting Jason on the team was never in the discussion for whatever reason.

Or go by scores. The people with the highest short and long program scores of the season are on, because they're needed for the team.That would cover a potential medalist having a bad day, slight injury or cold, or even having to miss the competition.

A case could be made that Ross Miner has not been a great skater over the years, but I feel bad for him. It's clear that the backroom deals etc. are alive and well.

brightphoton

Medalist
The presser is still going on or has just finished (I don't have IN). There are some comments on it in this thread here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?68421-2018-US-Championships-Sr-Men-FS/page139

Sam Auxier: "We looked at the criteria, average scores through the season and head-to-heads. On the criteria, we looked Adam's seasons. He had one of the strongest seasons of all the men based on average scores. He was selected for Worlds last year but had to pull out due to injury."

Okay I'll wait for the press conference to be transcribed and article written up

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't he a coach of Ross?

Yes he is and he knows how it feels to be bumped off an Olympic team. Yeah he got World's and did better than Todd but Miner didn't even get that. Not even first alternate. Sad.

qwertyskates

Medalist
It is demoralizing for Mitchell...it's going to hurt the sport if coaches that succeed in getting their skaters to nail their jumps and get onto the podium start quitting due to perceived favoritism for the Olympics. Ross' quad and axel looked solid.