2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I get the body of work argument, I even support it in many ways... but i always thought the powers that be wanted US Nationals to be a major part of the BOW and a big deal of a competition. I thought it was weighed heavily because they wanted to send the message it was important.

...this selection seems to give very little weight to Nationals it seems. I feel there should be a little more hope going in than this selection allows. I think you can look at BOW and heavily look at Nationals and come to better conclusions than this. Basically a silver was worth dong better than one of the five favorites in selection... I think it should be worth more than that. Even Max Aaron named as 3rd alternate is a bit of a head scratcher. I am not sure how needed it was to keep the 3rd alternative title away from Grant.

Ohh well. May all the Olympians and alternatives go on to have great skates... where is my vodka.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Karen has 2 underwhelming seasons as well, not a single GP medal in her career.

Karen was national champion last year and came in 4th at worlds, if it wasn't for her the US wouldn't even have a third spot for ladies. This season she has been underwhelming but she beat Ashley where it counted. Since their results this season were equally bad, that was the discriminating factor.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
If I were Ross I don't think Adam being put on the team would bother me but I would be side eyeing the fed hard for Vincent (who I like). That seems like a play for the future if there were ever one and the case is not as compelling. Just thinking out loud here . . .

For real. From Zhou's PCS overscoring to it being Ross instead of Zhou who Adam replaces, it just feels unfair to Ross. Like everything was predetermined and this competition doesn't matter.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Yesterday, they named 4CC and World teams for the ladies along with the Olympic team. Wonder why there is a delay with the men in naming 4CC and Worlds?

USFS probably wants to wait for the dust to settle on the Olympic decision before they dump the next surprise on us. :noshake:

combinationspin

On the Ice
Wow, this along with the scoring for Ashley makes me think USFSA had their picks for the Olympic team fixed even before the competition took place.
So Ross didn’t have a chance at all for the team from the start. He finished second here, the highest he could realistically achieve with the gold being out of reach because of Nathan’s status. He skated his very best while Adam bombed badly in the LP and Vincent only had two clean quads out of 7 attempted quads. Still not enough to qualify :disapp:.

stella luna

Final Flight
If it were a medal from 2017 it would probably be a different story. I have many question marks about the judging of ladies event and I think there's a good chance the ladies Olympic team was decided in advance. But I really don't think that the situation was the same for men and that sending 1-2-3 should have been the case here as well.

They would not have decided to put Mirai on the team in advance; she had to prove herself doubly, especially after being left off the team last Olympics.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
By the way, people who say that "Nationals are useless for Olympic selection" : Vincent earn his spot THANKS to nationals. Everybody thought it would be Jason otherwise. Please, be consistent in your words.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
USFS probably wants to wait for the dust to settle on the Olympic decision before they dump the next surprise on us. :noshake:

No Worlds for you Ross, here's a breadcrumb though- 1st alt :thumbsup:

louisa05

Final Flight
Karen has 2 underwhelming seasons as well, not a single GP medal in her career.

But Karen's results in her underwhelming seasons beat Ashley when you look at the criteria. There is actual selection criteria. It is written out. The athlete's know what it is. Had Bradie been third, Ashley would have beat her in selection criteria. An argument honestly could have been made for leaving Bradie off in favor of Ashley--Ashley's 2017 Nats beats her, Ashley was at Worlds last year, Bradie was not. Those results both count. 2018 GP, they were tied--neither in GPF, both with one bronze medal. But USFSA couldn't make that decision as I think they are not prepared for the public uproar of leaving a national champion off the team. And Bradie is the new anointed one (because anointings have been so effective and so beneficial to the general well-being of the skater who is anointed, let's ask Gracie about that!). If the top 4 had been Bradie, Ashley, Angela, then Mirai or Karen; the selection criteria would likely have bumped Angela for Karen or Mirai.

Adam goes and Ross does not because there is selection criteria. Ross comes up empty in one entire section of the criteria due to not having GP assignments this year. He and his coach should have known that. It is written down and pretty clear.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Karen was national champion last year and came in 4th at worlds, if it wasn't for her the US wouldn't even have a third spot for ladies. This season she has been underwhelming but she beat Ashley where it counted. Since their results this season were equally bad, that was the discriminating factor.

I thought Mai Mihara was treated unfairly just because she bombed in her SP and deserves more the "prestigious" 4th than Karen with a lot of URs. There were strong voices about Karen and Ashley's uncalled URs that should've not kept their 3 spots for Olympics. This is why there are so many jokes about "Should US give up their 3rd spot to Japan !". Moreover, it is quite funny to hear that some people treat Karen as the sole contributor to keep 3 spots. She didn't win the title nor silver as a sole US participant at Worlds to earn 3 spots like Yuna Kim at 2013 Worlds. If Ashley had been below more than 9th, there would be NO 3 spots. Karen's sudden held-up despite her obvious URs made her 4th at Worlds. Therefore, I disagree. Their season are not equally bad, but Karen's international results are worse than Ashley. That's a fact.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
For real. From Zhou's PCS overscoring to it being Ross instead of Zhou who Adam replaces, it just feels unfair to Ross. Like everything was predetermined and this competition doesn't matter.

I also feel sorry for Ross.

But to say that USFS over-scored Vincent (for the sake of future) is nonsense. If any thing, they are pushing down Vincent very hard. Extremely strict tech calls only applied to Vincent.

Vincent is absolutely NOT the one that USFS tried to save in this event (I will stop here).

BUT despite all the obstacles, Vincent delivered and earned it, and totally deserved it, EVERYONE in the arena who witness the whole week (the practices and competition) would agree.

USFS would be extremely stupid to drop Vincent.

And I believe Vincent will prove himself at 2018 OG again.

brightphoton

Medalist
Wow, this along with the scoring for Ashley makes me think USFSA had their picks for the Olympic team fixed even before the competition took place.
So Ross didn’t have a chance at all for the team from the start. He finished second here, the highest he could realistically achieve with the gold being out of reach because of with Nathan’s status. He skated this very best while Adam bombed badly in the LP and Vincent only had two clean quads out of 7 attempted quads. Still not enough to qualify :disapp:.

And he's still second alternate behind Jason

And third alternate is Max, who finished below even Grant Hochstein