2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I am FURIOUS for him. By the piss poor argument that they presented, Ashley really should be going over Karen, since Karen has not even won one single GP medal in the past Olympics cycle. To send Zhou over Ross and then to have Brown over 1st alternate. This has left me Furious times infinity. :ddevil:

Ashley won the Skate Canada medal with 183 points. Karen at Skate America had 182.3 pretty much the same score, but the Skate America field was a lot deeper. If Ashley had continued to skate the FS with the mistakes at Skate America her placement would probably be around where Karen was. And the "body of work" would actually be very comparable. :noshake:

Combine that with Karen's 4th place at Worlds (when it counted!) and 1st place last Nationals, it just made sense..

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
By the way, people who say that "Nationals are useless for Olympic selection" : Vincent earn his spot THANKS to nationals. Everybody thought it would be Jason otherwise. Please, be consistent in your words.

Ah but you could argue he didn't earn it. His PCS were a miraculous gift by the federation that saved him. If he had gotten what he gets internationally, then he would not have gotten the spot.

So basically Nationals are very convenient to get who you want. You prop up the right ones, disregard what you don't like and off you go. It does actually make them meaningless, in the sense that it's for the most part, already predetermined who would go.

And I've been saying here for months that Vincent would be at the Olympics because the Fed wants him. Yes, the Fed wanted him and they got him.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congratulations to the Olympic men's team. Absolutely the correct decision (and more logical) even if it's a sad situation for Ross.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish the Feds would have let the Nationals winners enjoy their victories and waited until all the events were concluded before announcing world and Olympic spots especially since selections may be influenced by the team event. Better to know the pool you have to choose from and making sure the same rules are applied across all disciplines to avoid problems.

the point being that should have chosen ashley based on her 2 year body of work over mirai, karen , or even bradie chose not to.
so who finished 2nd mirai-but mirai beat ashley this year- bradie beat them all
that left karen chen who beat ashley at last years nationals & worlds.

adam beat ross the past two season,
nathan beat adam

vincent was in juniors
vincent beat adam at nationals.

mikeko666

Final Flight
USFS and NBC should have announced beforehand who would never been chosen unless they beat Nathan. :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Average scores for the sake of discussion:
2017-2018
Chen 281.57
Rippon 259.44
Brown 255.66
Aaron 252.82
Zhou 242.96
Miner 224.43 (7th)

2016-2017
Chen 279.39
Brown 255.21
Rippon 252.58
Zhou 232.81
Aaron 230.80
Miner 208.10 (10th).

When you look at it that way... you see the logic somewhat (still don't really agree necessarily).

louisa05

Final Flight
I thought Mai Mihara was treated unfairly just because she bombed in her SP and deserves more the "prestigious" 4th than Karen with a lot of URs. There were strong voices about Karen and Ashley's uncalled URs that should've not kept their 3 spots for Olympics. This is why there are so many jokes about "Should US give Japan their 3rd spot!". Moreover, it is quite funny to hear that some people treat Karen as the sole contributor to keep 3 spots. She didn't win the title nor silver as a sole US participant at Worlds to earn 3 spots like Yuna Kim at 2013 Worlds. If Ashley had been below more than 9th, there would be NO 3 spots. Karen's sudden held-up despite her obvious URs made her 4th at Worlds.

But all of those possible judging motivations and how many spots another country has or who was held up aren't in the selection criteria. The criteria itself is not subjective, it says "placement at previous worlds" not "the committee's and fan forum participants' perceptions of the underlying circumstances that perhaps influenced the skater's placement at the previous worlds".

I love Ashley. I am gutted for her. But if she had beat Karen last year at either Nationals or Worlds, she'd probably be going to the Olympics again. Because that is the criteria, not how anyone feels about either result.

Warwick360

Medalist
As minutes tick by, I am not only FURIOUS but also very SALTY. At this current moment, I really hope US team won't podium for the Oly team, just to rile the USFA. There's me and my bitterness for the day. :bed:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Ah but you could argue he didn't earn it. His PCS were a miraculous gift by the federation that saved him. If he had gotten what he gets internationally, then he would not have gotten the spot.

So basically Nationals are very convenient to get who you want. You prop up the right ones, disregard what you don't like and off you go. It does actually make them meaningless, in the sense that it's for the most part, already predetermined who would go.

And I've been saying here for months that Vincent would be at the Olympics because the Fed wants him. Yes, the Fed wanted him and they got him.

He did earn it. That we like it or not a 4-quad programs is big (5 if not for the last one). I'd argue that both Miner and Vincent were gifted in PCS, vincent lost 20 points on TES on Urs that Miner wasn't called for. But then 2nd vs 3rd place you have to still look at the rest of the criterias and frankly, Miner is out.

What I don't get are the alternates though, and it's where you make a point : Ross 2nd, Jason1st, and Max ?? Where is Grant in all of this ?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
When you look at it that way... you see the logic somewhat (still don't really agree necessarily).

Actually when you look at that, what stands out is how much Vincent is the one who was propped up and pushed into the spot. It's not Adam that is the issue, the real issue is Vincent and I do feel sorry for Ross, in that regard.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If I were Ross I don't think Adam being put on the team would bother me but I would be side eyeing the fed hard for Vincent (who I like). That seems like a play for the future if there were ever one and the case is not as compelling. Just thinking out loud here . . .

What bothers me is that Nathan is quite young himself and represents the present and the future. Vincent is fresh out of Juniors and this was Ross's last chance to be an Olympian. He laid it down when it counted and for the committee to leave the Silver Medalist at home doesn't make sense to me.

Is Ross on the World Team??

PyeongChang2018

On the Ice
He did earn it. That we like it or not a 4-quad programs is big (5 if not for the last one). I'd argue that both Miner and Vincent were gifted in PCS, vincent lost 20 points on TES on Urs that Miner wasn't called for. But then 2nd vs 3rd place you have to still look at the rest of the criterias and frankly, Miner is out.

What I don't get are the alternates though, and it's where you make a point : Ross 2nd, Jason1st, and Max ?? Where is Grant in all of this ?

I literally can't recall a single moment of choreography Zhou did off the top of my head. I can't say the same for anyone else who placed 1-5 in the women's and men's competitions. It just seemed like a very empty program, and his PCS was very high...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Is Ross on the World Team??

My guess would be no Ross for Worlds, otherwise they likely would have announced it along with this other news in order to try to offset the disappointment in a non-selection.