2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

icybear

Medalist
Just goes to show Nationals is a load of crap. Finishing second and not even first alternate? The federation is lunatic

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Wow, they gave Max 4CC?? I'm a huge Max fan so it's good news for me, but I'm pretty surprised. I wonder if this is a confirmation of my feeling that he's about to retire and they wanted to throw him one more competition. I feel a little bad for Grant though.

I was actually wondering if they were trying to encourage him not to retire by tossing him some bones. Also... funding could be a factor. If his assignments get him some more funding and he does want to keep going, that could make sense as Grant has stated he plants to retire... my guess is he would be happy to see USFSA write a check to Max for next year.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
USFS won't risk 3 spots next year, that is way Ross is not on the World team as well.

But I think Ross should be glad that he had the best moment of her life in 2018 US nationals, which on itself is an amazing thing isn't it?

The reward is very shabby. You know I initially rooted for Nathan/Adam/Vincent altogether throughout the whole season until Nationals. This decision makes me taste very bitter. Ross is not considered the first alt for Worlds. This is quite absurd.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Delayed reaction . . . Grant doesn't get 4CC???? USFS you're killing me today. Luckily he has Caroline :love:

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Ashley won skate America last year! And a bronze at skate Canada this year. Not one of the ladies on the team has any gp gold, and only bradie has a solitary bronze. Not to derail the thread but the Ashley stan in me just had to point that out.

Last year's GPs were not in the published selection criteria.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On making Oly team

Zhou: "There is a certain feeling that comes with being an Olympian. First year senior internationally. All I could ever ask for."

Rippon: "First thing I did was text Ross Miner and told him how proud of him I am. If the situation were reversed, I would be happy. Glad they looked a the full body of work."

Chen: "So excited to be part of the Oly team. It motivates me. Competed with Vincent and Adam for such a long time."

Last edited:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Just goes to show Nationals is a load of crap. Finishing second and not even first alternate? The federation is lunatic

The selection criteria was announced MONTHS ago and it was made clear that Nats would only be a part of that. Apart from Nats, Ross doesn't really have anything else playing for him. Also, he came in second because Jason and Adam both choked. Of course it must be really sad for him and it's more than understandable, but it's not as if this comes as a shock.

charmblade

Final Flight
I was actually wondering if they were trying to encourage him not to retire by tossing him some bones. Also... funding could be a factor. If his assignments get him some more funding and he does want to keep going, that could make sense as Grant has stated he plants to retire... my guess is he would be happy to see USFSA write a check to Max for next year.

Hmmm, maybe. I'd be a little surprised if USFSA wants Max to hang around considering they've never done a great job of promoting him and they do have all this young new talent to push. I'd personally love to see him stick around, so if that works I'm all for it.

alvina9894

Final Flight
I also feel sorry for Ross.

But to say that USFS over-scored Vincent (for the sake of future) is nonsense. If any thing, they are pushing down Vincent very hard. Extremely strict tech calls only applied to Vincent.

Vincent is absolutely NOT the one that USFS tried to save in this event (I will stop here).

BUT despite any obstacles, Vincent delivered and earned it, and totally deserved it, EVERYONE in the arena who witness the whole week (the practices and competition) would agree.

USFS would be extremely stupid to drop Vincent.

And I believe Vincent will prove himself at 2018 OG again.

Seriously, if Vincent Zhou hasn't URed, the tech panel would not been able to give him carrots.
Here you are blaming the tech panel for doing their job.

louisa05

Final Flight
This is bad. I feel so sorry for Ross Minor. He earned a spot and the committee decided that he could not even be the first alternate. I am horrified really. It rings of favoritism to me. This is one of the many reasons that figure skating has loss some of its popularity over the years. Unlike any other event, figure skating it is based on favoritism and opinion rather than what an athlete can earn. Ross earned it and was robbed.

But the thing is that he didn't earn a spot. If he had been given the spot, it would have been a gift. USFSA established a selection criteria for World and Olympic teams. It is published and easily available, and I'm guessing every possible effort is made to ensure that skaters and coaches understand what it is. And that selection criteria includes not only Nationals, but prior results including the Grand Prix series, the prior season's Nationals and Worlds, senior B's, etc... Ross had to know even last night that he was at a disadvantage to Adam and even Jason by that criteria.

For a long, long time, Nationals was the only qualifier. Somehow, in spite of every attempt made by USFSA and even the broadcast teams, fans just can't comprehend that it has changed.

jcmerman

Rinkside
ok, so, this is a weird feeling I am having right now. I am sooooooooo heartbroken for Ross :)sad4::sad4::sad4::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum: ) but yet, I am so ecstatic for Adam :)yes2::hap85::hap93::yay: ) Like, at the same time. Both feelings. At the same time...

evasorange

Final Flight
I adore Jason he is so talented and a truly sweet person but his jumps were just not there last night and it affected the rest of his program...to be named first alternate for Olympics AND worlds over the silver medalist is shady shady shady look on us fed...the obviously were dying for him to be on the Olympics team but he just didn't give them enough to work with this time

mrrice

Record Breaker
What the actual f? I'm seriously so pissed off on his behalf. This was the absolute WORST decision ever. :bang:

Right......:confused2: GP placements be damned.....Ross paced himself to peak at Nationals and that's exactly what he did. Ross beat Jason Brown by 20pts....It wasn't even close. If they're going to do things like this, they should just tell the skaters before hand that they can do their best but, they're vying for 4CC spots because the Olympic Team has already been selected.....:mad:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
This would have been at least fair:

Oly - Chen,Rippon,Zhou / Miner, Grant, Jason
WC - Chen, Rippon, Miner / Zhou, Jason, Grant
4CC - Miner, Grant, Jason / whoever.

charmblade

Final Flight
ok, so, this is a weird feeling I am having right now. I am sooooooooo heartbroken for Ross :)sad4::sad4::sad4::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum: ) but yet, I am so ecstatic for Adam :)yes2::hap85::hap93::yay: ) Like, at the same time. Both feelings. At the same time...

This is pretty much exactly how i feel. I didn't think it was realistic to hope they would put Ross on the team, but this must be so hard for him. I also am so happy for Adam, though. I was at 2014 Nats and was expecting Adam to make the team there and was so sad that he had a bad competition, so it's been a long four years to get to this moment.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Delayed reaction . . . Grant doesn't get 4CC???? USFS you're killing me today. Luckily he has Caroline :love:

What??????? :rolleye: How come? He placed 5th, and who would be ahead of him? 2nd, 6th?, and what??? Poor Grant can joins the club along with Ross named "Nationals is not that important".

Edit: I see Jason (6th) and Max (9th) ahead of Grant.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
U.S. Figure Skating Announces Men’s Selections for World, Four Continents and World Junior Teams

SAN JOSE, California (1/7/18) – U.S. Figure Skating has announced its men’s Selections for the 2018 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 2018 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and 2018 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships. The teams were selected following the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, California.
2018 World Championships
Nathan Chen
Adam Rippon
Vincent Zhou
Alternate 1 – Jason Brown
Alternate 2 – Ross Miner
Alternate 3 – Max Aaron
2018 Four Continents Championships
Jason Brown
Ross Miner
Max Aaron
Alternate 1 – Grant Hochstein
Alternate 2 – Timothy Dolensky
Alternate 3 – Alexander Johnson
2018 World Junior Championships
Alex Krasnozhon
Camden Pulkinen
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternates (not ranked): Maxim Naumov, Andrew Torgashev, Dinh Tran.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I prefer US gymnastics body of work system where they do not select the ladies for the team at Nationals at all (and there are two comps nationals and olympic trials). Psychologically to the old school heads like myself who are used to nationals counting for more than it does now there's a disconnect. If they separated out the selection from the competition it might help me see nationals as just another competition. Still thinking out loud here . . .