Skaters Retiring After 2017-18 Season | Golden Skate

Skaters Retiring After 2017-18 Season

mintx

On the Ice
There may be a thread on this but I could not find it.

After the Olympic season we typically have senior skaters who move on.
Who is continuing and who is retiring after this year?

From the US
Grant has said its his last nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There may be a thread on this but I could not find it.

After the Olympic season we typically have senior skaters who move on.
Who is continuing and who is retiring after this year?

From the US
Grant has said its his last nationals.

(1) As I posted in another thread, Grant's mother told me this week in San Jose that there has not been a decision about retirement.

So I think it cannot definitely be said that 2018 Nats were Grant's last. Unless he said so within the last 48 hours or so?​

(2) I could swear that there is another thread on this topic.

starla16

Medalist
Kostner
Capellini/Lanotte
Virtue / Moir

Leonova ?
Wagner ?
also I know Tuk is still young but its like she's been skating for ages.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan, Kevin Reynolds, Max Aaron and Eric Radford have all mentioned things about further interests/schooling and such. I think a lot will depend on who wins gold and what other opportunities they have. But I expect a lot of retirements being the end of an Olympic cycle. If Grant is retiring I am wondering about his future bride Caroline Zhang.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
(2) I could swear that there is another thread on this topic.

You're probably thinking of the annual Retirements Thread for official announcements, the 2017-18 edition of which I started in July:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?64989

But, there have been so few announcements that it only has a couple of posts. (There were dedicated threads about the retirements of Lipnitskaya and Kavaguti / Smirnov, so nobody felt the need to post about them in the season thread as well).

There is also a separate thread for speculating, which can be found here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?64934

Although, now that I notice, it has been archived.

CaroLiza_fan

Rinchan

Rinkside
The female commentaror for the South Korean National said that Kim Jin Seo will probably retire after this season. She reported that she directly spoke to him and that she tried to tell him to continue a bit more, but he told that his back cannot take it any longer and that he wanted to show his best performance for which would probably be his last competition, that is this year's National Championships.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm guessing that Ross, Max, & Sean Rabbitt will retire after this season. :cry:

Andrea82

Medalist
Alisa Agafonova/Alper Ucar are in their last season. He mentioned that he was going to retire after Olympics in an interview last season and it did it again last month when he posted on social media the pic of their podium finish at Talinn Trophy: Last season of our career & all our programs see medals!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5hCSNhjfA/?taken-by=alpericeberg

European Championships will be the last event for Peter Liebers.

Mussique

On the Ice
It breaks my heart but Javier Fernández has answered questions about retirement in some interviews.
He's said that staying for another Olympic Season would be "agonizing" in the sport (and "do you want me to step into the podium with crutches?" was also said :laugh:).
When asked if he would skate for, say, another Europeans or World's he answered it would all depend on this seasons' results. He wants to end his career in a high note. He's said that he'd love to continue "forever" but that he doesn't know if he'll have the energy both mentally or otherwise to continue training at such a high level; and that he feels old at 26.
He definitely plans to go to Milan, but has not answered questions about any competition further than that. He's also mentioned that he'd like to participate in pro shows, tour a bit, and also become a coach.

/I need a hug

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexei Bychenko will retire & probably Misha Ge (guess he could change his mind again, but I doubt it).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
IIRC Ashley has mentioned the possibility of this being her last Nationals in the post-FS interview :sad21: Even if this makes me sad, I can understand her decision: with the current technical level she couldn't be able to stay at the top, and the new developments in transitions/program construction have kind of left her behind, too, so maybe doing shows might be less physically demanding and more rewarding (both money- and personal satisfaction-wise)...

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Ashley W. may or may not. Seems to be hinting at it in interviews. Max A. also probably. Misha Ge has said this is his last season.

Giselle

Medalist
James & Cipres have said that's it's probably their last season. Vanessa will be 31 in September and Morgan 27 in April.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Liubov Iliushechkina & Dylan Moscovitch have also said it's their last season competing. And I remember Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford mentioning the same? (But I'm not 100% sure)

starla16

Medalist
so most probably

Carolina Kostner
Capellini / Lanotte
Grant Hochstein
Virtue / Moir
Iliushechkina / Moscovitch
Duhamel / Radford

maybes ?

Leonova
Wagner

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ekaterina Bobrova is either taking a break or retiring and I think Soloviev has a partner lined up...
Valentina Marchei is 31, so kind of pushing the envelope. Same with Meagan Duhamel, who I think is 32. Are either of them continuing?
Max Aaron graduated from college so maybe he'll retire. I wouldn't blame Ross Miner for retiring after what happened this weekend.

I don't think Pogorilaya will retire per se but she'll have a hard time coming back, what with injuries, and her SB being at 156, and the level of competition to make the team. So she might be forced to retire early a la Lipnitskaya. I think Leonova is done but Tuktamysheva's said that she's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rippon and Wagner were both done, and I think Angela Wang, Caroline Zhang, and Grant Hochstein probably are as well.

pearly

Record Breaker
Ekaterina Bobrova is either taking a break or retiring and I think Soloviev has a partner lined up...
Valentina Marchei is 31, so kind of pushing the envelope. Same with Meagan Duhamel, who I think is 32. Are either of them continuing?
Max Aaron graduated from college so maybe he'll retire. I wouldn't blame Ross Miner for retiring after what happened this weekend.

I don't think Pogorilaya will retire per se but she'll have a hard time coming back, what with injuries, and her SB being at 156, and the level of competition to make the team. So she might be forced to retire early a la Lipnitskaya. I think Leonova is done but Tuktamysheva's said that she's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rippon and Wagner were both done, and I think Angela Wang, Caroline Zhang, and Grant Hochstein probably are as well.

I heard interesting theories that his next partner was either Elena Ilinykh or Viktoria Sinitsina!
I kind of hope Ashley will stay and do another GP series. That's invitational, the USFS couldn't hold her back for that.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I am starting to feel Kostner may stay. She said she is no longer in it for medals, but for love of skating. she is unbeatable in Italy and she is still top 10 in the world.