Alysa Liu | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

lastremnant

On the Ice
Why do I have a premonition that in 2022 the Olympic hype talk will be Liu versus Trusova for Olympic gold?

lzxnl

Final Flight
Why do I have a premonition that in 2022 the Olympic hype talk will be Liu versus Trusova for Olympic gold?

I don't think 2022 is going to be quite that simple. You do have Shcherbakova, Kostornaia (who will almost surely have a 3A by then), and most obviously, Kihira knocking on the door of Beijing 2022. At the moment, I'd put Kihira in the driver's seat for Beijing simply because she's the most well-rounded out of all these skaters and yet has the technical ability to boot too, especially if she gets a clean quad. However, if Alysa does keep her jumps and lands her quad lutz cleanly too, we'll have a real technical battle. Possibly five girls capable of quads in Beijing (assuming Kostornaia gets one in three years). That'll be a treat.

Incredible. 2 3A's in the free plus a backloaded 3Lz-3T and 3Lz-Eu-3S. WOW!!!

That's gutsy. Backloading two of the most difficult jump combinations in women's skating? Lots of women can't even front-load them. Keep those jumps, work on that artistry and she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

lastremnant

On the Ice
I don't think 2022 is going to be quite that simple. You do have Shcherbakova, Kostornaia (who will almost surely have a 3A by then), and most obviously, Kihira knocking on the door of Beijing 2022. At the moment, I'd put Kihira in the driver's seat for Beijing simply because she's the most well-rounded out of all these skaters and yet has the technical ability to boot too, especially if she gets a clean quad. However, if Alysa does keep her jumps and lands her quad lutz cleanly too, we'll have a real technical battle. Possibly five girls capable of quads in Beijing (assuming Kostornaia gets one in three years). That'll be a treat.

That's gutsy. Backloading two of the most difficult jump combinations in women's skating? Lots of women can't even front-load them. Keep those jumps, work on that artistry and she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

True. You are right of course. Even as I was writing it I was thinking of the other members of the Eteri trio. It would be an amazing competition if they all keep improving at their current pace by then.

It does seem that media likes to focus on two people though with a “hint” of a third or fourth when they build their big competition stories though, especially for the Olympic events.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wow! Her skate was so good! Not only did she hit all her jumps, she was intense/fierce/focused, and she accomplished her goal! She won!!!! :clap: :love:

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
:eeking:

Those tears of joy at the end... :sad4:

A lot may change from here until that, especially for Trusova, if we take into account the differences between them, of age and field.

To me, right now, there's way more chances for Alysa to be there and be also competitive.
Who knows who may be on the russian team for Beijing...

Really... how much people would predict, before the start of this season, that Samodurova would be the next european champion ? :confused:

She did great on the Today segment. Self-composed and charming. Favorite skating inspiration = Michelle Kwan. Favorite singer = Ariana Grande.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Five days later and I still tear up watching her skates :laugh2: not going to lie, I've rewatched them far too many times, but she's just so good I can't help it :biggrin: :luv17:

macy

Record Breaker
it is way, WAAAYYYYY too soon to even start talking about 2022. we have no idea what will happen to any of these girls in the next 3 years...that's a long time yet. i hate to say it, but alysa and trusova might not even make it that far. quads and triple axels are A LOT of stress to keep putting on your body, and alysa hasn't even hit puberty yet. trusova isn't near done with it either. i would love to see them make it, but it's just too far away to make any sort of predictions.

euroskate

Final Flight
Am I the only one thinking what the heck is she wearing for her TV appearances?? I mean this jacket, the shoes, the hair.....

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
U.S. Skating Champ Alysa Liu Gets Star Treatment At Oakland Ice Center
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/01/31/us-figure-skating-champ-alysa-liu-oakland/

She is poised, modest, and polite. With her season over, she says, “I’m going to practice everything, improve my jump spins technique and improve everything.”

[Has Nike called you yet?] “Uh, YEAH! They asked if they could sponsor me, um, spoke to my dad,” she said. “I don’t know what he said but, I HOPE he said yes!”