Bad technique or bad boot? | Golden Skate

Bad technique or bad boot?

allen1

Spectator
I skated for maybe 2 years on and off as a kid, and as an adult I've picked it up again. I've started almost 1.5 years ago, but I've only skated for about 8 months since I can only skate during the fall/winter.

I'm pretty solid on all my single jumps, and lately I've been working on getting speed and height.

With the speed though, I feel like a lot of the time I land on a very deep edge, and my right ankle is rolled to keep myself upright (that is, if I don't fall from this deep edge).

I got a pair of Jackson Elles last year, though I've only skated on them for around 6 months. I feel like I need to re-lace them at least once or twice per 1 hour session, but they're only starting to crease slightly at around 3/4 of an inch.

The Elles aren't advertised as a boot for jumps, so I'm wondering if my rolled ankle is a result of a weak boot, or does this sound like a technique issue?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I skated for maybe 2 years on and off as a kid, and as an adult I've picked it up again. I've started almost 1.5 years ago, but I've only skated for about 8 months since I can only skate during the fall/winter.

I'm pretty solid on all my single jumps, and lately I've been working on getting speed and height.

With the speed though, I feel like a lot of the time I land on a very deep edge, and my right ankle is rolled to keep myself upright (that is, if I don't fall from this deep edge).

I got a pair of Jackson Elles last year, though I've only skated on them for around 6 months. I feel like I need to re-lace them at least once or twice per 1 hour session, but they're only starting to crease slightly at around 3/4 of an inch.

The Elles aren't advertised as a boot for jumps, so I'm wondering if my rolled ankle is a result of a weak boot, or does this sound like a technique issue?

It could be both. Elles are only listed for half jumps so if you're doing single jumps and plan on venturing eventually into doubles, you need to get a better, stiffer boot with a better blade.

Good luck!

allen1

Spectator
I've only used these skates for half a year :( my fitter said they should last me for a couple years....

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've only used these skates for half a year :( my fitter said they should last me for a couple years....

The fitters aren't always right. Everyone's different and some people are much harder on their boots than others. I managed to destroy a pair of triple rated skates when I was starting my doubles in a year because I'm bigger than the average skater and therefore stronger. It's also possible that the fitter didn't fully understand what you were planning on doing in the skates.

I agree that what you're describing could be a boot issue or a technique one. Try working on strengthening your ankles off ice and see if that helps any, however, once the boots start to crease, their time for jumping is coming to an end.