North Korea Olympic participation | Golden Skate

North Korea Olympic participation

GF2445

Record Breaker
Article Courtesy of Arirang News, South Korea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3e9Ko5JHXI

"Leader Kim Jong-Un has confirmed that he is willing to send athletes to the Winter Olympics to be held next month in South Korea, and he emphasized the need to improve relations between Seoul and Pyongyang.
Kim also claimed that his regime had accomplished a great feat last year by becoming a true nuclear power...."

Kara

Final Flight
Oh please, please, please! I really like the Ryom/Kim pair and it would be wonderful to see them perform in South Korea!! I know it's a pipe-dream and unfair to Kim/Kam, but I had a fantasy in my mind that they would have a united Korean team for the team event with RK as the pair.

Hasn't it already been announced that North Korea is out because they missed the deadline? (I hope this is Kim Jong-un rather that Kim Jong-il making this announcement)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hasn't it already been announced that North Korea is out because they missed the deadline? (I hope this is Kim Jong-un rather that Kim Jong-il making this announcement)

I believe the ISU and IOC had already said they were prepared to offer a "wild-card" extra spot for the North Koreans. I have always hoped they would go.

GF2445

Record Breaker

Oh goodness! Please not Kim Jong Il. I copy and pasted it from the news agency. A most unfortunate typo from Arirang News.

QuadThrow

Medalist
My dream scenario is to watch Donald Trump, Kim Jong un, Wladimir Putin, Angela Merkel, Emmanuel Macron, Justin Trudeau, Moon Jea-in and Xi Jinping sitting next to each other in the ice area during the pairs event.

Would be the highlight from any perspective.

But I am very sure Merkel has not even heard of Aljona Savchenko.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

There's a wild card option, which would be absolutely great!
And here's to a good start to this year, knock on wood. Please skating gods, give the others a nudge, thanks.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Great announcement. My belief has always been that despite the politics and power conflicts, Korea is still a nation in spirit and a family with disagreements and fights but share their ancestry, traditions, culture and language. North Korea is concerned with its survival and takes drastic measure to ensure it. South Korea is not the real threat and I never believe the North sees South Korea as an enemy or a target to attack.

North Korea's participation in the Olympics in South Korea should ease many concerns and fears about attending the great event. :2thumbs:

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Great announcement. My belief has always been that despite the politics and power conflicts, Korea is still a nation in spirits and a family with disagreements and fights but share their ancestry, tradition, culture and language. North Korea is concerned with its survival and takes drastic measure to ensure it. South Korea is not the real threat and I never believe the North sees South Korea as an enemy or a target to attack.

North Korea's participation in the Olympics in South Korea should ease many concerns and fears about attending the great event. :2thumbs:

Wonderful post.....agree 100 percent....

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Nikki Haley to possible talks between North Korea and South Korea:

Kim said in a New Year’s Day speech he was “open to dialogue” with Seoul, and for North Korean athletes to possibly take part in the Winter Games. He persistently declared North Korea a nuclear power.

Asked about the possibility of talks, Haley said:

“We won’t take any of the talks seriously if they don’t do something to ban all nuclear weapons in North Korea.”

“North Korea can talk to anyone they want, but the U.S. is not going to recognize it or acknowledge it until they agree to ban the nuclear weapons that they have,” she said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...w-missile-test-plays-down-talks-idUSKBN1ER041

Nikki Haley and Donald Trump never seem to discuss these matters between themselves. Rather they just go their separate ways, with poor Rex Tillerson left twisting in the wind.

From what one can tease out of the news here, South Korea is basically begging the U.S. to back off a little until the Olympic Games are over. North Korea, in the meantime, sees this as an opportunity to drive a wedge between South Korea and the U.S.

Great fun, except for the part about millions people standing as hostages between self-important tyrants.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a wild card option, which would be absolutely great!
And here's to a good start to this year, knock on wood. Please skating gods, give the others a nudge, thanks.

I’m a voice of disagreement. If DPRK has missed the deadline then they should be treated no differently than any other nation.

I dislike saying this because I like their pair and harbored some hope that the pair might compete with the SK team as a unified team for the games.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
We see rules are broken all the time, many for all the wrong reasons, all gone unpunished, swept under the carpet for convenience for the power that be. This IMHO should be counterbalanced for all the right reasons.

Global sport event is supposed to be a bringer of peace, and it is a good opportunity to extend their olive branch for all the right reasons and note the exceptional circumstance. It is important for IOC to distinct politics from sportsmanship and human rights, although admittedly the world can get murky. Diplomacy and communication do not work under any rules. Representation would be a good start.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
We see rules are broken all the time, many for all the wrong reasons, all gone unpunished, swept under the carpet for convenience for the power that be. This IMHO should be counterbalanced for all the right reasons.

Global sport event is supposed to be a bringer of peace, and it is a good opportunity to extend their olive branch for all the right reasons and note the exceptional circumstance. It is important for IOC to distinct politics from sportsmanship and human rights, although admittedly the world can get murky. Diplomacy and communication do not work under any rules. Representation would be a good start.

:agree:

The Wild Card option has been offered before the deadline, indicating a sincere invitation. Acceptance of the invitation and the acceptance of the participation are gracious on both sides and are much needed gestures of goodwill in today's hostile world.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I can certainly accept your well reasoned views. So long as we realize that it IS a violation of the rules and that DPRK inclusion past the deadline conflicts with the Olympic ideal because the exception would be made for purely political reasons.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I can certainly accept your well reasoned views. So long as we realize that it IS a violation of the rules and that DPRK inclusion past the deadline conflicts with the Olympic ideal because the exception would be made for purely political reasons.

This is totally in congruence with the Olympic ideal of inclusiveness, bringing together the world's athletes instead of shutting some out for purely political reasons.

I am all for international athletic competitions and shared joy, even national prides, instead of the old primitive conflict resolution with violence and wars.