North Korea Olympic participation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

North Korea Olympic participation

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is totally in congruence with the Olympic ideal of inclusiveness, bringing together the world's athletes instead of shutting some out for purely political reasons.

I am all for international athletic competitions and shared joy, even national prides, instead of the old primitive conflict resolution with violence and wars.

The IOC is not shutting anyone out for political reasons. Instead they are bending (if not outright disregarding) the rulebook for political reasons.

If DPRK missed the deadline but is being afforded special treatment, well that is mixing politics and sport.

I am certain they were given every opportunity to RSVP the same as every other delegation.

lyndichee

Medalist
The IOC is not shutting anyone out for political reasons. Instead they are bending (if not outright disregarding) the rulebook for political reasons.

If DPRK missed the deadline but is being afforded special treatment, well that is mixing politics and sport.

I am certain they were given every opportunity to RSVP the same as every other delegation.

But DPRK is not just any delegation. Are there political undertones that influence this? Of course there is. However, the pair earned the spot and given the difficult situation the government put itself in, the act of offering a wild card and having DPRK participate can actually create a net positive in this political climate. Doesn't always have to be about the intention, but also the result of the act.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Rulebooks aren't designed to shut out competitors on technicalities. For me, a wildcard for a team that legitimately qualified for the spot is more valid than one awarded to a team that happens to be fortunate enough to be born in the host country.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[...]

As I said in my initial post, I like the DPRK pair and I had hoped they’d even participate in the team event as part of a unified Korean team. That’s not a hateful outlook at all.

If the IOC wants to grant the pair a waiver to participate under the Olympic flag, I’m ok with that.

But my understanding is that the deadline has passed for entry for a DPRK Olympic delegation. It’s not hateful to point out facts, which have no bearing at all on feelings.

If a DPRK delegation is granted entry after the deadline, then it is also a fact that the decision will be made outside the rule book, and between politicians, no matter how desirable anyone may view that outcome.

I don’t wish anyone ill. But let’s not pretend that this would not be a political decision.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Confirmed. North Corea will participate in the Olympic Games. Yestetday there was meeting between the representatives of both countries and this week Thomas Bach will talk with the President of North Corea's Olympic Committee about the details. Both Coreas will walk together during the opening and closing ceremony. The athletes will bw gucen additional time to inscribe and participate in the Olympiad. It' s interesting to know that the only athletes who have met the qualifying criteria of their respective federations are the pair figure skaters. I do hope we will see them competing.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
North Korea to send team to Winter Olympic Games

They have continued all day and the developments have been conveyed by officials from the South:

Vice unification minister Chun Hae-sung told journalists: "The North side proposed dispatching a high-level delegation, National Olympic Committee delegation, athletes, supporters, art performers, observers, a taekwondo demonstration team and journalists" to the Games

The South proposed that athletes from both Koreas march together at the opening ceremony in Pyeongchang as they did at the 2006 Winter Olympics

The South pushed for the reunion of family members separated by the Korean War - a highly emotional issue for both countries - to take place during the Lunar New Year holiday, which falls in the middle the Games

The South also proposed resuming negotiations over military issues and the North's nuclear programme

The South said it would consider temporarily lifting relevant sanctions, in co-ordination with the UN, to facilitate the North's participation in the Olympics

I can't be more thrilled for the Olympics be a channel for peace and union. South Korea has a Ministry of Unification and Kim of North Korea has said,
"With regard to this matter, the authorities of the north and the south may meet together soon. Since we are compatriots of the same blood as South Koreans, it is natural for us to share their pleasure over the auspicious event and help them."

Military drills around N Korea is not in congruence to the spirit of both sides regarding each other as family. There were strong protests by South Koreans to the THAAD installations hardly reported in the West. I pray for peace and progress for unification.

Andrea82

Medalist
ISU statement:

The ISU noted and welcomes the discussions currently taking place between the governments of the Republic of Korea (KOR) and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (PRK) also involving a possible participation of PRK Skaters in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

The ISU confirms that the PRK competitors in Pair Skating (Figure Skating) had met all the necessary technical requirements to participate in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games. However, the PRK National Olympic Committee (NOC) has not confirmed the participation of the Pair within the set deadline and the available quota place has consequently been transferred to the next NOC in line (Japan). In the case of a formal PRK NOC request for a late entry, the matter would have to be referred to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final decision relating to the late entry as well as the increase of participants in the 2018 Olympic Pair Skating competition.

Barb

Record Breaker
ISU statement:

The ISU noted and welcomes the discussions currently taking place between the governments of the Republic of Korea (KOR) and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (PRK) also involving a possible participation of PRK Skaters in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games.

The ISU confirms that the PRK competitors in Pair Skating (Figure Skating) had met all the necessary technical requirements to participate in the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games. However, the PRK National Olympic Committee (NOC) has not confirmed the participation of the Pair within the set deadline and the available quota place has consequently been transferred to the next NOC in line (Japan). In the case of a formal PRK NOC request for a late entry, the matter would have to be referred to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a final decision relating to the late entry as well as the increase of participants in the 2018 Olympic Pair Skating competition.

Well, what are they waiting for? They want me to fill out the stationery or what? :sarcasm: :palmf:

lyndichee

Medalist
I highly doubt that based on press, that the IOC will say rules are rules and can't allow an extra pairs team to compete. They are a wonderful pair and deserve to be there. This would also be great for international relations. I really hope others can speak out and express their support for this like Marcotte and Duhamel.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Great news! I like this pair and think that they deserved this spot. Good luck to them.

If this will ease tensions between two Koreas and therefore make this world a little brighter and kinder - than all talks about deadline and rules don't make any sence.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU: North Korea Olympic participation

10 January 2018 Lausanne / Switzerland

Last edited:

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
As I mentioned earlier - this pair deserved to take part in the Olympics. And if this will ease tensions between two Koreas and therefore make this world a little brighter and kinder - than all talks about deadline and rules don't make any sence.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
As I mentioned earlier - this pair deserved to take part in the Olympics. And if this will ease tensions between two Koreas and therefore make this world a little brighter and kinder - than all talks about deadline and rules don't make any sence.

I'm sure it's just a bureaucratic matter. What it sounds like to me is the ISU can't grant them the spot because they missed the deadline. The IOC has to grant them the spot. But once the paperwork is straightened out it'll be fine. I can't see any reason why the IOC wouldn't do it. :)

Andrea82

Medalist
IOC statement

The IOC President, Thomas Bach, today called for a meeting to decide on the participation of athletes from the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. It follows the joint proposals (yesterday) by the governments of the Republic of Korea (ROK) and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

In order to decide on the proposals, the IOC will convene a four-party meeting on Saturday 20 January 2018 at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland. The participants will be a delegation from the PyeongChang 2018 Organising Committee and delegations from the NOCs of the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, all led by their respective presidents, as well as high-ranking government officials and the IOC Members in both countries. The meeting will be chaired by the IOC President.

The meeting will have to take a series of essential decisions, including the number and names of athletes and officials from the NOC of the DPRK, since all the deadlines for registration have already passed. The IOC will also have to decide on the format of such participation, including questions related to the official protocol (flag, anthem, ceremonies, uniform, etc.).

“I warmly welcome the joint proposals by the governments of the ROK and DPRK, which have been applauded by so many other governments worldwide. This is a great step forward in the Olympic spirit and in the spirit of the Olympic Truce Resolution passed by the General Assembly of the United Nations. Now the IOC must take the decisions to make this political commitment a reality,” said the IOC President.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-pr...nd-south-korean-olympic-participation-meeting