Australian Open 2018 | Golden Skate

Australian Open 2018

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Welcome to another new season! AO together with Europeans and 4CC? This is gonna be an exciting week for fans of both figure skating and tennis. Who are you rooting for? And who do you think has a good chance of winning AO this year? I will be rooting for Federer and Venus and I really hope they can win this this year. But things will be super difficult with the comeback of Djokovic and Kerber's strike back. What do you think? I am also looking forward to Queen Ostapenko, her reaction is really honest but it is also cute!

Sam L

Medalist
Medvedev, Kyrgios, Sharapova, Muguruza, Pliskova, Svitolina. I'm not into tennis nearly as I used to be but I will still watch.

nolangoh

Record Breaker
WOW first day and there is much surprise. Venus, Sloane, Coco are out in the first round:eeking:!

Pavlyuchenkova, Bencic, Cornet and Ostapenko into the second round.

Spinning

On the Ice
What do you think about the Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka's screaming? Me personally think it's unattractive but not so much distractions as many people might think. Extremely unwise strategy though. You need the crowd behind you not turning them off. Many players make grunting noice but Sabalenka takes it to another level. :drama:

nolangoh

Record Breaker
I personally am not annoyed by the grunting, some men grunt too (like Nadal). I am actually quite amused by the funny screaming or yelling or grunting lol. Sabalenka totally out-screamed Sharapova and her fellow Belarusian Azarenka, those "UGHHH" and "Aiyaaaa" is just lol to me

For reference, Sabalenka vs Barty: https://youtu.be/tm4EErnJoeg - my favourite is the one at 2:40 LMAO it's like she went full Alexei Krasnozhon mode

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Muguruza, Konta, Monfils, Querrey out in the second round.

Thiem, Djokovic, Kerber, Sharapova, Keys, Pliskova into the third round!

Spinning

On the Ice
I personally am not annoyed by the grunting, some men grunt too (like Nadal). I am actually quite amused by the funny screaming or yelling or grunting lol. Sabalenka totally out-screamed Sharapova and her fellow Belarusian Azarenka, those "UGHHH" and "Aiyaaaa" is just lol to me

For reference, Sabalenka vs Barty: https://youtu.be/tm4EErnJoeg - my favourite is the one at 2:40 LMAO it's like she went full Alexei Krasnozhon mode

Lol. I just found out the technical term for the grunting, screeching or screaming in sport sciences. Auditory Stimulus sounds less offensive I suppose. :biggrin:

Finally got around to watch Federer. Man...he's my real life superhero!

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Halep, Osaka, Kerber, Pliskova into the fourth round!! Congrats Osaka for making her first fourth round at a Grand Slam, she will face Simona Halep in the fourth round. GO Naomi!!!

Zverev is out in the third, defeated by Chung Hyeon from South Korea. Zverev completely lost his cool from the middle of the fourth set and had a bagel in the last set. and Chung took well the advantage and won the match.

Del Potro is also out in the third round.

Dimitrov will face Kyrgios, Nadal will face Schwartzman in the fourth round.

Sam L

Medalist
What do you think about the Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka's screaming? Me personally think it's unattractive but not so much distractions as many people might think. Extremely unwise strategy though. You need the crowd behind you not turning them off. Many players make grunting noice but Sabalenka takes it to another level. :drama:

It's great. They're the Belarussian Vuvus. Vuvulenka and Vuvurenka.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ah, I wanted Kyrgios to win with Dmitrov. But Grigor played well, so can't complain about result.

So I'm left with cheering for Dominic and Roger.

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Halep defeated Naomi Osaka 6-3, 6-2 and she is in the QF! Congrats no.1 Halep!! Sad for Naomi, not having her best first serves today really took away a lot of her confidence and power. But she reached a new height by advancing to the fourth round here, I wish her the best in her next competition.

Federer, Berdych, Kerber, Keys also in the QF.

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Thiem and Djokovic out in the round of 16! Chung Hyeon from South Korea defeated Djokovic in straight sets. 7-6, 7-5, 7-6. Djokovic made more double faults and could not make use of the break points. Boy this is such a good match, Hyeon is such a wonderful baseliner.

Quarter-finals for men singles:

Nadal vs Cilic
Dimitrov vs Edmund
Sandgren vs Chung
Berdych vs Federer

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh no, Thiem out as well? Not happy :( Good thing Roger is at least doing well. Btw. I see ther is one ver unexpected quarter final, and so one of Chung/Sandgren will make it to semis :eek:

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Edmund defeated no.3 seed Dimitrov. Nadal retired in the fifth set because of an injury :(

Semifinal 1: Cilic vs Edmund

nolangoh

Record Breaker
Wozniacki finishes the mid-night match by defeating Carla Suarez-NAvarro with 6-0, 6-7, 6-3.

Semifinal 1: Wozniacki vs Mertens

QFs for tomorrow: Kerber vs Keys, Halep vs Pliskova. The winners will face each other in the SF.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Edmund defeated no.3 seed Dimitrov. Nadal retired in the fifth set because of an injury :(

Semifinal 1: Cilic vs Edmund

now, that's a surprise! My heart broke for Rafael...but that's how it is, and amazing rally for Kyle, especially during Andy's absence!

nolangoh

Record Breaker
The Ladies Semifinalists are official!! Halep vs Kerber, and Mertens vs Wozniacki!! Chung Hyeon defeated Sandgren and advance to his first Slam Semifinal!!

nolangoh

Record Breaker
FedEx on his way unstoppable!!! Defeated Berdych in straight sets 7-6, 6-3, 6-4. He advances to the Semifinal facing Chung Hyeon. Things are getting exciting guys!!

P.S. Roger advanced to the SF without losing a set, AGAIN!

nolangoh

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/bMR2UuLu_gs

There is a reason to Kerber's strong return this season. She has become a WARRIOR! I have never seen her screamed and grunt and yelled "COME ONE!!!" so much before.