2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What does 'UP' stand for? Upper Peninsula??

You got it right! Well done. :)

You’re a Yooper?!

Who's a what? :laugh:

:rofl: You know. Alley-YOOP-oop, (doop doop ... doop doop)

You’re a Yooper?! :) I had a good work friend whose father was from Rockland and actually moved back while in his 70s after his wife passed away. I can’t imagine *moving* back to the UP after experiencing the tropical climes of DC, even for pasties, but that’s what he did

I was, for four years. Now I'm a Michigan's northwest coast year-rounder, which is very similar, though winters are shorter.

Both regions have really surprising attractions that get under one's skin. In both places, there are disproportionately high numbers of residents who are visual artists, writers and photographers ... because it's so beautiful, summer and winter. I've documented more sunshiny days over the winters in both places, compared to downstate Michigan. Snow is treated matter-of-factly by everyone; both civic employees and civic-minded citizens (& retirees) pitch in to snow-plow the roads and driveways, snow-blow sidewalks, etc. My former mother-in-law relocated to the U.P. and could hardly be persuaded ever to leave it ... which is typical. After a few years there, I figured out that Yoopers talk up how much snow they get and how crazy it is to live there ... it's a way to discourage overpopulation in their beloved homeland!

Also, both regions were originally heavily settled by Scandinavian immigrants. It figures. :) I recently was astonished to learn that by DNA I'm 23% Scandinavian, so maybe that explains it....;)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry, too much “insider” talk.:biggrin: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is abbreviated U.P. So if you say say UP really fast as two letters, in American English, “yoop”. And Yooper.

It does sound like an insult if you don’t know: that skate, what a Yooper:laugh:

Ah, so I guessed right! UP = Upper Peninsula! :biggrin: Never heard that one - or 'Yooper' before! Always learning something new on these forums!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My mother swears by a down coat. She used to be cold all the time, but not since she got the down coat.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My mother swears by a down coat. She used to be cold all the time, but not since she got the down coat.

:thumbsup: It squashes (???) down too. Some people swear by a down vest.

macy

Record Breaker
You got it right! Well done. :)

:rofl: You know. Alley-YOOP-oop, (doop doop ... doop doop)

I was, for four years. Now I'm a Michigan's northwest coast year-rounder, which is very similar, though winters are shorter.

Both regions have really surprising attractions that get under one's skin. In both places, there are disproportionately high numbers of residents who are visual artists, writers and photographers ... because it's so beautiful, summer and winter. I've documented more sunshiny days over the winters in both places, compared to downstate Michigan. Snow is treated matter-of-factly by everyone; both civic employees and civic-minded citizens (& retirees) pitch in to snow-plow the roads and driveways, snow-blow sidewalks, etc. My former mother-in-law relocated to the U.P. and could hardly be persuaded ever to leave it ... which is typical. After a few years there, I figured out that Yoopers talk up how much snow they get and how crazy it is to live there ... it's a way to discourage overpopulation in their beloved homeland!

Also, both regions were originally heavily settled by Scandinavian immigrants. It figures. :) I recently was astonished to learn that by DNA I'm 23% Scandinavian, so maybe that explains it....;)

traverse city area?? there's nothing like northern MI (to me, meaning the northern part of the LP and the whole UP). as much as i hate the winters here there's nothing like a michigan summer, especially up north. i always said i wanted to leave here growing up, but there's no way you could get me to move away now. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This thread has turned into "How to stay warm in the winter" and "US regional terminology".

My advice: Wear a toque.
My question: Is it advisable to call someone from Cape Cod a Codder?

Fixed the whole advice vs advise problem.

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread has turned into "How to stay warm in the winter" and "US regional terminology".

My advise: Wear a toque.
My question: Is it advisable to call someone from Cape Cod a Codder?

A Codder. Not bad. :laugh:

Sorry about the Off Topic diversions. Totally my fault. :shame: It really did start out as me trying to give some helpful information to anyone considering a trip, especially if they live in a warm climate and an expensive special purchase might be avoided.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
traverse city area?? there's nothing like northern MI (to me, meaning the northern part of the LP and the whole UP). as much as i hate the winters here there's nothing like a michigan summer, especially up north. i always said i wanted to leave here growing up, but there's no way you could get me to move away now. :)

Not far. Ludington. Same attraction as TC, for me ... near a large body of water with lots of crashing waves and big sky. No salt. No sharks. :)

And to get back on topic, I'm really happy to see so many people are already planning to be here. I hope Nationals is well attended.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*kerbumple*

Has anyone heard any updates on this?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There is finally a website for 2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit, MI. http://2019uschampionships.com/

There are no hotels listed and no ticket prices on the website yet. Rumor has it that ticket prices and hotel info will become available on March 19. The schedule is included (tentative) and is very different from San Jose was this year. All of the Jr. SP and FS are now going to be held at Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit. All of the novice level and below events will be at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills Michigan which is about 25 miles northwest of Detroit.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I went to the ticket page of this and found something that said
"sign up here for special ticket announcements"

http://2019uschampionships.com/tickets/

However, I couldn't find where to sign up. I'll want to buy tickets if we can get decent seats without draining our retirement savings, so I really want to know about "special ticket announcements". Anyone had luck finding out how to do this - maybe I'm just not seeing the right link on the page.

For anyone attempting to drive across Ontario to Detroit, I have unfortunately done it a number of times. I had the misfortune of driving during a blizzard and cursed myself the whole time for not flying. Its an OK drive (if not boring) if the weather cooperates, but it was pure misery during the blizzard.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I went to the ticket page of this and found something that said
"sign up here for special ticket announcements"

http://2019uschampionships.com/tickets/

However, I couldn't find where to sign up. I'll want to buy tickets if we can get decent seats without draining our retirement savings, so I really want to know about "special ticket announcements". Anyone had luck finding out how to do this - maybe I'm just not seeing the right link on the page.

For anyone attempting to drive across Ontario to Detroit, I have unfortunately done it a number of times. I had the misfortune of driving during a blizzard and cursed myself the whole time for not flying. Its an OK drive (if not boring) if the weather cooperates, but it was pure misery during the blizzard.

Well, if I’m driving down in a blizzard, at least the bag of dead octopuses in the car won’t get to be too stinky and will stay frozen in the trunk?

:rofl: You people all think I’m kidding. You people clearly don’t know me. :laugh2:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A friend contacted the Detroit Sports Commission and was told that hotel info for Nationals will be up around the middle of April. No information available on when ticket info will be out.

She also questioned whether a shuttle would be available for fans wishing to go to Detroit Skating Club for novice and lower events. The Sports Commission had no info on a shuttle, but more info will probably come out at some point. There is a 25-30 mile distance between Detroit Skating Club and Little Caesars Arena in downtown Detroit so without a shuttle or car it would be extremely difficult to travel back and forth to see all events.

bevybean

On the Ice
BTW, US Figure Skating is currently hiring an Event Services Coordinator (I know because I applied for the job - so exciting!!). If they are currently short on staff that could explain why there is a lack of information on events for next year. Hopefully, they will get through the hiring process relatively soon and be able to start getting more information out there.

just wondering

On the Ice
BTW, US Figure Skating is currently hiring an Event Services Coordinator (I know because I applied for the job - so exciting!!). If they are currently short on staff that could explain why there is a lack of information on events for next year. Hopefully, they will get through the hiring process relatively soon and be able to start getting more information out there.

That's exciting, bevybean! Good luck. I'm sure you would be a great addition to their team.