What happened to Ryan Bradley? | Golden Skate

What happened to Ryan Bradley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray94611

Rinkside
I posted some very negative comments about Ryan Bradley's commentary at the beginning of this season. It was painful! Well, I take it all back! Listening to him with Tanith White call the European Championships has been great! His voice has more authority and his comments are interesting and measured. Ben Agosto's been great too. Also, as far as I'm concerned they can ditch everybody else and just let Tanith White do it all. She is the best! OK, I'd miss Terry Gannon - but nobody else!

slider11

Medalist
I also am a fan of Ryan Bradley and Ben Agosto's commentating. Tanith is ok. Terry Gannon is a great anchor. I agree that I would love them to be the main team. It may be a contractual issue, but the Tara and Johnny show is old and stale. From what I understand, the live TV coverage will be Tara and Johnny. Somehow Scott Hamilton fits in - and I do like his input. I believe Tanith and some combo are part of the digital coverage.

Manitou

Medalist
I posted some very negative comments about Ryan Bradley's commentary at the beginning of this season. It was painful! Well, I take it all back! Listening to him with Tanith White call the European Championships has been great! His voice has more authority and his comments are interesting and measured. Ben Agosto's been great too. Also, as far as I'm concerned they can ditch everybody else and just let Tanith White do it all. She is the best! OK, I'd miss Terry Gannon - but nobody else!

I am giving absolutely full respect to Tanith for learning to pronounce foreign names correctly. She even gives correct accents in Russian names. When she said 100% correctly Sot-ska-va, rather than incorrectly Sots-ko-va, I almost fell out of my chair. Also 100% correct Za-gi-ta-va. She says it even better than Johnny. Full respect! And of course she is awesome in her skating commentary too.
Andrea Joyce - do your homework!

lavender

Record Breaker
I like Ryan, Ben and Tanith. I wish they were on NBC. I use to enjoy Terry but he seems to be under contract to mention someone's accolade every broadcast....it's gotten weird.

noskates

Record Breaker
I would say Ryan's intonation and Scott's squeak are neck and neck for fingernail on the blackboard time. The weird thing is Ryan doesn't talk like that in real life. I would be overjoyed if they would get rid of Tara. Johnny can be off the wall sometimes but he does know what he's talking about.

Tanith is the best!!!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I would say Ryan's intonation and Scott's squeak are neck and neck for fingernail on the blackboard time. The weird thing is Ryan doesn't talk like that in real life. I would be overjoyed if they would get rid of Tara. Johnny can be off the wall sometimes but he does know what he's talking about.

Tanith is the best!!!

Exactly. It sounds put on. Like someone told him that's what he needs to sound like on TV. Today there was some shade and level headed commentary so I see signs of improvement.

Tanith is wonderful! :love: (and I love her post retirement shady husband :devil:)

ETA: I would put Tanith in prime time period. I would also put Charlie or Ben on prime time for dance

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Uh it's always been like that. LOL nice to see some are coming over to the other side now.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanith is the best!!!

Exactly. It sounds put on. Like someone told him that's what he needs to sound like on TV. Today there was some shade and level headed commentary so I see signs of improvement.

Tanith is wonderful! :love: (and I love her post retirement shady husband :devil:)

ETA: I would put Tanith in prime time period. I would also put Charlie or Ben on prime time for dance

Actually, at times he does talk like that.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Despite having the Olympic Channel I had to stop watching it halfway through the Grand Prix season for non ice dance events because Ryan's voice was so, damn insufferable. Better off watching illegal streams on my laptop. Not sure if he still talks this way but I remember his voice sounded like he was speaking to a gaggle of first graders by the way he moves his voice up and down. So condescending and the same inane "a little to the outside but she hangs on" comments. Ugh. I felt like I was getting more stupid listening to him.

I'd be happy with Tanith taking over primetime with Terry and tagging Ben on for dance.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Despite having the Olympic Channel I had to stop watching it halfway through the Grand Prix season for non ice dance events because Ryan's voice was so, damn insufferable. Better off watching illegal streams on my laptop. Not sure if he still talks this way but I remember his voice sounded like he was speaking to a gaggle of first graders by the way he moves his voice up and down. So condescending and the same inane "a little to the outside but she hangs on" comments. Ugh. I felt like I was getting more stupid listening to him.

I'd be happy with Tanith taking over primetime with Terry and tagging Ben on for dance.

You just gave me a flashback to Sui/Han's wonderful short program at the 2016 Worlds in Boston where he made that oft repeated comment. It's the only part that still really bugs me :laugh2:

noskates

Record Breaker
How about " to stay in the conversation!" That's another Bradleyism that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overdone.

As for how he talks, I talked to him for about 20 minutes at Nats and he did NOT talk with that same intonation. In fact, he's rather lively in his speech. He's a good guy. But folks - ALL of them are better than Peter Carruthers. :curse:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How about " to stay in the conversation!" That's another Bradleyism that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overdone.

As for how he talks, I talked to him for about 20 minutes at Nats and he did NOT talk with that same intonation. In fact, he's rather lively in his speech. He's a good guy. But folks - ALL of them are better than Peter Carruthers. :curse:

Talking to him for 20 mins and talking to him frequently are two different things. You'd hear it sometimes when he's not "on" per se with a stranger.

reneerose

Final Flight

I'm thinking NBC "thinks" they have better ratings with T & J. I could live with NBC mixing up the usual commentators this go round. I mean NBC has the Olympics until 2032 so there's plenty of time for them to mix and match. I would love it if Tanith and Ben commentated on ice dance in NBC primetime, but I think they have Ben signed up for the Olympic Channel digital broadcasts?

Bcash

Final Flight
I am giving absolutely full respect to Tanith for learning to pronounce foreign names correctly. She even gives correct accents in Russian names. When she said 100% correctly Sot-ska-va, rather than incorrectly Sots-ko-va, I almost fell out of my chair. Also 100% correct Za-gi-ta-va. She says it even better than Johnny. Full respect! And of course she is awesome in her skating commentary too.
Andrea Joyce - do your homework!

I noticed it too. Kolyada's name was accented correctly.
The announcer in Vancouver 2010 was wonderful in this respect too, even small differences in Asian names like Mao Asada and Yu-na Kim were subtly conveyed.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I noticed it too. Kolyada's name was accented correctly.
The announcer in Vancouver 2010 was wonderful in this respect too, even small differences in Asian names like Mao Asada and Yu-na Kim were subtly conveyed.

The funny part is, Yuna's real name in Korean is Yeona. It has a different vowel in the middle, no oo sound at all.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
John Coughlin is still my favorite commentator after Dick Button. Did icenetwork/nbc dump him?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
John Coughlin is still my favorite commentator after Dick Button. Did icenetwork/nbc dump him?

No dumping.

In a conversation at Skate America, Coughlin told me that he voluntarily has recused himself from commentary (with the possible exception of synchro) because of his position (new as of 2017) as Chair of the ISU Athletes Commission.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
No dumping.

In a conversation at Skate America, Coughlin told me that he voluntarily has recused himself from commentary (with the possible exception of synchro) because of his position (new as of 2017) as Chair of the ISU Athletes Commission.

Good to hear that. I liked his knowledgeable commentaries from his expertise and warmth towards skaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.