Aliev: "It was almost perfect" | Golden Skate

Aliev: "It was almost perfect"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aliev managed to upstage both his teammates in both programs, which is quite an achievement of the European Championships debutant.
“I’m happy with the technical side, it was almost perfect,” said the 2017 ISU World Junior silver medalist. “The short program went ok, but then I was nervous today. But for the first half of the program, I kept control of myself, and then in the second half, I felt confident and enjoyed it. I am incredibly happy.”
“I am extremely proud of him,” said his coach Evgeniy Rukavitsin. “I am proud of how he kept his focus, despite skating last in the last warm-up group. I watched him very closely and I saw that as soon as something was even a little bit off, he immediately re-focused and corrected it. It’s the greatest achievement of my coaching career.”

More...

Were you surprised with Aliev's placement in his European debut? Did you see it coming this season?

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I didn't see it coming, but glad it came :laugh: Alongside Denis this was the performance of the night for me.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I like him! I like this skate! He is my Russian favorite man!

But I'm curious with two quads in his LP could be competitive in OG? Could be on 1-6 places?

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I like him! I like this skate! He is my Russian favorite man!

But I'm curious with two quads in his LP could be competitive in OG? Could be on 1-6 places?

hey anything can happen at Olympics, right? At least he can do some quads. But overall, I enjoyed his performance. Kolyada has great height in his quad jumps but he couldn't land them at Europeans, heartbreaking for him, I enjoyed his elvis program. How many spots for the russian men at Olympics?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I did not see it coming this season simply because I know how much he has struggled with injury. I was upset that he didn't take more time off to recover. But I know his character and his potential, so I was not shocked that he was able to show it. He didn't even go to the last practice session because he forgot his skates, and he skated last after Javier, and this was his very first Euros! So proud of him!

The 18-year-old admitted that his program to “To a Build a Home” by The Cinematic Orchestra is deeply personal for him.

“The program is quite emotionally difficult because it is very personal to me,” he shared. “It is related to my parents. It is my life. I moved away from my parents to live alone in a big city, while my parents lived in a different city. So, the story of my program is that at the start I say goodbye to them, in the middle I see them again and embrace them, and at the end I am on my own again, building my own career.”

I think you have to be 100% committed and hungry for success to leave your family when you are young. Deniss and Javier also had to do it. If you are talented and hungry enough then the sky is the limit, imo.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't see it coming, but glad it came :laugh: Alongside Denis this was the performance of the night for me.

I saw him at an earlier competition this season - maybe Rostelcom? - and I really liked him then. I thought he showed promise.

But, no, I didn't think he'd be on the Euro podium. TBH, I didn't even think he'd be on the Russian team.

I saw him more as a talent that would reveal itself on the world level over the next four years.