Kolyada: "I don’t know what happened" | Golden Skate

Kolyada: "I don’t know what happened"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kolyada rose up from the fourth place to repeat last season’s bronze, but the 2018 Russian Champion was unhappy with the way he skated.
“I don’t know what happened,” said the student of Valentina Chebotareva after the short program, in which he fell on a quad Lutz and popped a planned quad toe loop into a double.
“I still don’t know what happened” – was the first words he told the press after the long in which neither of his quads worked as planned (he fell on both the Lutz and toe loop and popped a Salchow into a triple). “It was a bit of everything, some things were good, some were bad. Good thing was that I did all jumps expect for quads. Bad things were Lutz, Salchow and toe loop.”

More...

He said he would give himself a 4- on a scale of 1 to 5 on his long program. What would you give him?

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
3 maybe?

There were too many mistakes, though the energy & performance were decent. Of course I'm not really a fan of the program - I don't care for the songs chosen; for me they are a bit... dull. But given that, he did all right with it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3 is about right. I don't like the program---and IMO he doesn't much like it either, he always looks uncomfortable with it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
3 out of 5. Still pulled decent TES thanks to the axels, but failed every single quad attempt (0/5 clean quads in both programs). 4 out of 8 jumping passes did not go as planned and left points on the table.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
3/5
He can do much better. That SP at CoC was breathtaking...

That was the only clean program he's had all season. Why is it so hard for his team to figure out that he can't handle this layout? Why is he still not sure what happened after so many failures? It seems so obvious...Plushy is absolutely correct. And then of course, the program is simply bad. If you have such a tacky program then you should at least try to sell it...not look down at the ice and perform it with so little energy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What does he mean, that he’s wrong to do it or he’s doing it incorrectly?

Here is the full Google Translate quote: "I do not understand why the coaches do not see that he deliberately incorrectly jumps four lutz, flies already in the squat, flies back and as if already knows that there will be an error." This jump is not certain, but he still began to ride better, and his I liked the short program. "Kolyada began to open, make long and long movements, ride on the ribs," said Plushenko.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Here is the full Google Translate quote: "I do not understand why the coaches do not see that he deliberately incorrectly jumps four lutz, flies already in the squat, flies back and as if already knows that there will be an error." This jump is not certain, but he still began to ride better, and his I liked the short program. "Kolyada began to open, make long and long movements, ride on the ribs," said Plushenko.

He says that the jump lacks confidence but still he has started skating better, making long movements and skating on edges.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I say Plushenko should go to his rink and yell at him until Kolyada is more scared of him than the 4lz and manages to land it consistently. Eteri-style.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1059414572.html
Evgeni Plushenko: "I do not understand why coaches do not see that Kolyada is wrong jumping quadruple lutz" - google translate
Plushenko's own lutz technique was different (as in, he jumped it from an edge with prerotation). That may be easier, but there is no way Kolyada can learn to jump like that. And it's not like Samoilov's 4Lz is much to write home about. So let him teach at least one student to jump 4Lz correctly first.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I say Plushenko should go to his rink and yell at him until Kolyada is more scared of him than the 4lz and manages to land it consistently. Eteri-style.

Really, did Misha say it?;) Why are you so angry? But I'm happy. Plushenko will be a very succesfull coach.

Plushenko's own lutz technique was different (as in, he jumped it from an edge with prerotation). That may be easier, but there is no way Kolyada can learn to jump like that. And it's not like Samoilov's 4Lz is much to write home about. So let him teach at least one student to jump 4Lz correctly first.

Calm down. Misha is Plush's favorite so I believe he wants to the best for him. Samoilov is with him 4 months. It is not too long time, right?

Look at how they were rooting for Misha! https://www.instagram.com/p/BeJBsBYgmrH/?taken-by=gnomgnomych :)

Sam L

Medalist

Plushy says Kolyada is doing it incorrectly, as in wrong technique

OK that's what I thought.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The plushenko comments illuminate kolyadas very strongly!! Not even he can explain what is happening when he tries quads in competitions. The mechanics are falling apart and kolyada needs to mentally consolidate quad technique and competition pressure.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whenever I see him skate, he looks like he would rather be anywhere else than where he is. Has the pressure of the quads gotten to him? Does he hate his programs? When I saw him at Boston Worlds in 2016, I thought he was fantastic and felt the sky would be the limit for him. I don't know. I'm puzzled!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Really, did Misha say it?;) Why are you so angry? But I'm happy. Plushenko will be a very succesfull coach.

I was just making a joke... Plushenko is obviously rooting for Misha and has ideas about his coaching. I'm not sure why you thought I was angry. I don't know. I was obviously not being serious, not attacking Plushenko. I have no idea how to interpret your answer.