Kostner: "I know what I need" | Golden Skate

Kostner: "I know what I need"

Should Kostner stay with the green unitard?

• Yes

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 156 79.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Kostner, who was a close third after a flawless performance to “Ne me quitte pas” in the short program, struggled with her jumps in the long, but was able to capture her 11th medal of the European championships.

“It was not at all my best performances,” she admitted. “It’s a pity because my body’s ready and the practices were easy-going and mostly flawless. But then you get into the competition and it just slips away.”

“The good part is that other than the performance tonight, the whole week was magnificent,” added the Italian, who will turn 31 next month. “To sum up, I can go home with much more positives than negatives and I know what I need to work on for the Olympics.”
“We’ve changed the costume because we have been thinking of how we can underline the music, the exotic part of Debussy,” she explained. “That’s how we came up with the color and the design. It has the cut-out pattern on it which was inspired by the poster of the first ballet of L’après-midi d’un faune danced by Nijinsky as part of Ballet Russes.”
The Italian is unsure if the costume is here to stay, however.
“I don’t know. I haven’t seen the video yet,” she said at the press conference. “It’s the first time I used it at a competition in full lighting, so I need to see it on the screen to make the final decision.”

“It looked great,” chimed in Medvedeva. “It shines like a diamond.”

More...

Should the costume stay? Yay or Nay?

Last edited by a moderator:

GGFan

Record Breaker
I say it needs to go :pray:. 1. It is distracting, and 2. It did not bring her good mojo. It's not the catsuit but the color that really bugs me. The program is too beautiful and refined for that. :slink:

VegMom

On the Ice
Green is a polarizing color. People love it or hate it. Blue is much more popular.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Evgenia is already planning her olympic gold manifest with those statements. i see you, girl.

slider11

Medalist
I think Carolina was going for a symbolic "sprig of life", new-to-life green look. Looking like a baby fawn in a brown costume would be too obvious. But, sadly, the green unitard was just distracting. I bet it cost alot of money and, I guess if it gets people talking then controversy is better than silence. So I'm presuming it will stay. Carolina definitely follows her own drummer. Medal or no medal, I would still love to see a clean and beautiful performance of that FS.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I say it needs to go :pray:. 1. It is distracting, and 2. It did not bring her good mojo. It's not the catsuit but the color that really bugs me. The program is too beautiful and refined for that. :slink:

I agree, but for me it’s the other way around. The green is surprisingly fine, but the catsuit bugs me :laugh:

Alifyre

On the Ice
I think if she wanted green, she needed either a more neutral green (think the sort of soft desaturated palate to her original dress but in green) if she was to stick with the body suit, or go with a dress. The combination of the bright AND the pantsuit was... A Lot.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That’s green catsuit certainly provided a great deal of entertainment for many of us in the ladies FS thread today, I’ll give it that much.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is so elegant, and it just doesn't suit her. It would be great if she were skating to "Rainbow Connection". https://youtu.be/S2DTLbTQj0I?t=83

ETA -- Just noticed that YT has 1,700,000+ views. Thank you Jim Henson.

medoroa

On the Ice
I did a spit-take when I saw the costume but after having watched her perform in it, it's glorious and she should keep it. Who needs one more flowery dress at the women's competition?

(Also we should just be happy no one has yet skated a Nijinski-inspired program in a cow bodysuit...)

pearly

Record Breaker
I understand you may have missed this detail because of utter shock the sight of Carolina wearing that green abomination left you in, but it doesn't fit her. Love it or hate it, it's loose around the knees and ankles and last time I checked, a catsuit shouldn't be.

Many will argue that this is the least of her problems with this outfit and I agree with you, just getting this out there.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I can't believe that 6 people hit the "Yes" to the very avant-garde green unitard. :biggrin: The world is full of wonder. It is not like her gray catsuit worn at 2012 Worlds even if her team might think another catsuit can bring her a lucky charm again. Just no. Her long limbs and body lines can stand out well in other dresses.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Not sure if she should keep it, but gotta admire her for trying something new and daring and not depending on classically pretty costumes (or worse - tutus). I can see what were they trying to express (well... at least I think). I like more creative costumes, as opposed to sparkly barbie pink or baby blue cute dresses.

Maybe she could keep it for shows. She was bit too messy for me truly focus on the costume and appreciating it.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I guess they wanted green to represent the nature, but NOT THAT green of all green shades, please... there is nothing natural about that florescent shade, she looked like Kermit frog getting glitter glue all over him. She does look good in leotards, so that is a pity, really.