Sotskova: "The fight is never over" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sotskova: "The fight is never over"

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I have mixed feelings about Maria. I want to really like her but her programs are just boring to me. She also is losing me with those tanos.

her helicopter tanos are horrible and she should lose points on artistic impression for that. If she got rid of the helicopter (either by not doing tanos or learning how to do them properly... or maybe do ripons instead if you want to milk those GOEs) and gotten some more creative music and choreography... she could be better.

Technically she is not bad. But right now... the words that come to my mind when I see her name are "boring helicopter".

Artistry

On the Ice
her helicopter tanos are horrible and she should lose points on artistic impression for that. If she got rid of the helicopter (either by not doing tanos or learning how to do them properly... or maybe do ripons instead if you want to milk those GOEs) and gotten some more creative music and choreography... she could be better.

Technically she is not bad. But right now... the words that come to my mind when I see her name are "boring helicopter".

Exactly!

Precisely!

snd

On the Ice
i find her programs engaging and interesting to watch. the music she skates to is never tasteless. she's not boring at all imo. i find medvedeva and zagitova's programs much more boring - and they are trashy compared to maria's.

i also think her tanos look better than medvedeva's though i can understand why most people seem to find them... unattractive.

Manitou

Medalist
Masha was rather characterless last season, I just couldn’t help fast forwarding her programs, and this year she started slowly growing on me. Slowly, slowly, to the point I am no longer fast forwarding. However, after euros, I am kind of back to regretting I am not seeing Stanislava instead...

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

Now why are people nitpicking on her beautiful ribbon like tano when Evgenia is the one with the broken arm above her head?

And as far as her choice of music and choreography? Sophisticated, and she uses her long limbs and power to create flowy deep edges, and has the most exquisite arms, body line, and upper body movement...she just outclasses and outskates medvedeva and Alina in all areas of skating.

I think the reason she's not propped up is because I believe she was injured when Evgenia turned senior. Because I don't recall seeing her as much anymore when she was supposed to turn senior at the same time as evgenia.. Maybe due to a growth spurt, but look how well she's adjusted to it now, even adding those tanoes recently when she didn't have them before,...hhmmm makes me question whether adding an arm up in the air is really that much more difficult? I believe she's done growing now, just right in time for Olympics. She chose the right music for the Olympics too. And doesn't she just look magnificent and royal in her beautiful costumes?? She's just lovely to watch.

winky97

Medalist
Now why are people nitpicking on her beautiful ribbon like tano when Evgenia is the one with the broken arm above her head?

And as far as her choice of music and choreography? Sophisticated, and she uses her long limbs and power to create flowy deep edges, and has the most exquisite arms, body line, and upper body movement...she just outclasses and outskates medvedeva and Alina in all areas of skating. .

I cannot stand her or Medvedeva’s tanos. Even more so I hate the over use of the move and really hope that it’s stops being rewarded if is done more than a couple of times.

As far as what I like, I appreciate the fact that she is tall and has long beautiful lines. She was full grown before succeeding in Seniors so I don’t feel like she is going to be gone tomorrow. I tend to pull for ladies like her over the jumping beans. I just find her programs kinda dry like toast. I would like to see a little fire from her. But hey, it’s working for her since she is Russia’s top three.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's remember that during the time of Kwan, Lori charged around 10k a program. Don't know what she charges now but she's expensive and I don't know if Maria has the means/willing to pay that much for a program. She could go to Zhulin/Averbukh/Morozov for much less.
Lori should donate a program to Masha in the name of Figure Skating to make up for some of those stinker programs she’s put out there recently. :biggrin:

Seriously though...Masha and Lori could be a great pair!

Man..the Masha haters are way more snoozy than any of her programs have ever been. I just don’t get it :scratch: She is a really nice and very hard working girl. Go to Korea and do your thing girl!!!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lori should donate a program to Masha in the name of Figure Skating to make up for some of those stinker programs she’s put out there recently. :biggrin:

Seriously though...Masha and Lori could be a great pair!

Yes, I'm still not over Boyang's programs. They are not the worse but could have been so much better :palmf: My thing is with Lori, if she's not inspired by you, she just gives you some recycled mess.

Man..the Masha haters are way more snoozy than any of her programs have ever been. I just don’t get it :scratch: She is a really nice and very hard working girl. Go to Korea and do your thing girl!!!

Tired/played out for sure :laugh:

And yes, good luck in Korea Maria, do your best :dance3:

charlotte14

Medalist
Not her fan but she was robbed at European.

Maybe she should change the SP dress, pink is too young for her mature style. And stop the tano... My eyes...

RobinA

On the Ice
Sotskova was massively robbed at Europeans. Some of the most egregious judging I've seen in awhile. I like her a lot. I could do with a few less 'Tanos. Doing it every time takes away from the WOW factor. I don't remember how old she is, but she has solid jumps despite not being a stick figure. She could have a bright future.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Also not Maria's biggest fan but I watched her Euro's performances with an open mind and I thought she was completely robbed of the bronze medal. Her jumps are above average, performed with choreography in and out and with arms over her head and she barely gets a +1 GOE? At least she will be an Olympian but if this is an indication of how the Russian Fed feels about her, I don't think she'll ever make a World/Olympic team again. They might as well already give out the Olympic medals at this point since Carolina will end up on the podium regardless of how bad she skates. This judging is out of control and it takes a lot for me a fan of 30 years to feel this way.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Sotskova is lovely but her music choices are boring. Sadly most choreography outside of a few performers are forgettable these days. Soskova is not being well served by choreographer. She needs some very edgy dramatic music to bring out the pizazz I think she might have

charlotte14

Medalist
I think Sotskova is lovely but her music choices are boring. Sadly most choreography outside of a few performers are forgettable these days. Soskova is not being well served by choreographer. She needs some very edgy dramatic music to bring out the pizazz I think she might have
Well as if Carolina has a less boring music in the free :unsure:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
But Carolina has much better choreography even in 2018 when IJS doesnt care truly. Carolina was made to skate to Debussy. Carolina can skate to anything but she has Lori Nichols - who still realizes that Caro is stunning on the ice. Balanced lovely skates she did at Europeans. Sostkova is young. There is not once sequence in either program where you go oh I will remember those moves. I do not doubt she can skate to a variety of music. Her Sp is too similar to LP. This is a beautiful, tall girl with perfect body who should do a stunning spiral sequence and imitate Caro. Instead she copies Eteri’s girls. Alina will win with a frantic backloaded totally program. Evgenia is more calm and is now deserving high PCS. The Russian template is not to produce a beautiful memeorable program. The Japanese do better. Higuchi had two memorable programs. So under rated. Masha needs someone to show us she can truly perform and sparkle. She lacks charisma of the two other top Russians it appears but could it be the boring very monotone choreography? This girl is better than we know but she needs someone to challenge her. Ashley is a good example or diversity in her two programs. With all the talent in Russia I believe someone can and maybe will take this bronze or silver girl and turn her into Gold with a program we will remember.

Julia was younger and I recall her Schindler’s list because she had moments. That’s all I am saying. Masha is an underdog and I love the tall girls- so few in the sport. I hate what IJS has done to singles skating BTW.

The hand over the head is annoying because it’s too low and too frequent. Maria should have done a Spanish piece of music for the LP. I don’t care if a warhorse like Malaguena- some spice is needed. Russia is full or choreographers who’d love to work with her. I think many would charge little or nothing to work with a podium hopeful at the Olympics. Her coaches are not very creative imo. Her consistency has gotten her here. Braise Tennell is not as lovely as Masha but that is what IJS wants. Clean jumps over beautiful artistry. Caro at 31 is amazing. They love what she does. Mao is gone. Ashley may be done. Akiko retired. Who out there makes magic moments in singles. Only Caro and that is why the judges give her the pcs marks. When she is gone every last skater that skated under 6.0will be gone. And the things they learned. Please IJS bring back the ladies spiral sequences and beautiful blurred scratch spins!

I really like her and I want to see her get a great choreographer who isn’t so point obsesssed to make her grow. I hope she sticks around long enough to show us all she can do. Caro has some very memorable programs. Ave Maria Sp 2014 Olympic season. To die for. Sorry Masha not so much.

curious

Final Flight
But Carolina has much better choreography even in 2018 when IJS doesnt care truly. Carolina was made to skate to Debussy. Carolina can skate to anything but she has Lori Nichols - who still realizes that Caro is stunning on the ice. Balanced lovely skates she did at Europeans. Sostkova is young. There is not once sequence in either program where you go oh I will remember those moves. I do not doubt she can skate to a variety of music. Her Sp is too similar to LP. This is a beautiful, tall girl with perfect body who should do a stunning spiral sequence and imitate Caro. Instead she copies Eteri’s girls. Alina will win with a frantic backloaded totally program. Evgenia is more calm and is now deserving high PCS. The Russian template is not to produce a beautiful memeorable program. The Japanese do better. Higuchi had two memorable programs. So under rated. Masha needs someone to show us she can truly perform and sparkle. She lacks charisma of the two other top Russians it appears but could it be the boring very monotone choreography? This girl is better than we know but she needs someone to challenge her. Ashley is a good example or diversity in her two programs. With all the talent in Russia I believe someone can and maybe will take this bronze or silver girl and turn her into Gold with a program we will remember.

Julia was younger and I recall her Schindler’s list because she had moments. That’s all I am saying. Masha is an underdog and I love the tall girls- so few in the sport. I hate what IJS has done to singles skating BTW.

The hand over the head is annoying because it’s too low and too frequent. Maria should have done a Spanish piece of music for the LP. I don’t care if a warhorse like Malaguena- some spice is needed. Russia is full or choreographers who’d love to work with her. I think many would charge little or nothing to work with a podium hopeful at the Olympics. Her coaches are not very creative imo. Her consistency has gotten her here. Braise Tennell is not as lovely as Masha but that is what IJS wants. Clean jumps over beautiful artistry. Caro at 31 is amazing. They love what she does. Mao is gone. Ashley may be done. Akiko retired. Who out there makes magic moments in singles. Only Caro and that is why the judges give her the pcs marks. When she is gone every last skater that skated under 6.0will be gone. And the things they learned. Please IJS bring back the ladies spiral sequences and beautiful blurred scratch spins!

I really like her and I want to see her get a great choreographer who isn’t so point obsesssed to make her grow. I hope she sticks around long enough to show us all she can do. Caro has some very memorable programs. Ave Maria Sp 2014 Olympic season. To die for. Sorry Masha not so much.

That's right Maria needs a powerful song like maos 2010 olys l.p.. anyone know the name of that song.

curious

Final Flight

She needs a strong powerful music like maos olys 2010 lp. Anyone know the name of that music.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Funny how people hated Mao’s Bells of Moscow at the time. Tarasova was skewered and blamed for costuming Mao like a bordello girl. But give props- Mao was willing she stayed in so long. We have had only a handful of top women who did this since I J S. So amazing Yuna actually came back. Alena Leonova keeps trying and she has tried many styles many costumes many hair colors. But when you think of how many Russian girls are waiting in line for their turn. We are lucky to see 4 years.

Does anyone know which Russian girls have retired since Nationals? I only know Julia retired but wonder if she does shows in Russia. Has Adelina thrown in the towel? Whatever happened to training with Plushenko?

After Nationals I expected to hear Liza and Radionova would quit. And what news is there of Anna P? Most Of these girls have a short shelf life and if they are not competitive now it makes sense to move onto shows or university.

Can someone tell us who is retiring or has already? Leonova loves skating but it’s been sad to see her go to competitions she had no chance Of reaching podium this season. Well, not for a long time. She seems so sad to get her marks. She truly loves to skate and I have enjoyed her. Being a single female skater in Russia is simply brutal. Where did all these girls come from since2013 or so? Do all young girls in Russia skate? There must be a hundred very talented teens out there.