The Six Most Powerful Lady Skaters Today | Golden Skate

The Six Most Powerful Lady Skaters Today

Here's my list of the TOP SIX PRESENT DAY LADY SKATERS, AND THE NEXT 6 AND THEN OTHERS They are in random order and not of preference. Most of all they are not predictions!!!

Do you agree? Who would you move from Group A to Group B. etc
TOP SIX ....................... NEXT SIX.........................OTHER

Slutskaya.......................Poykio..........................Liashenko
Cohen............................Volchkova....................Asado(?)
Arakawa.........................Rochette......................Ota(?)
Kwan..............................Sebestyen....................Kirk(?)
Kostner..........................Suguri...........................Liang(?)
Ando..............................Sokolova.......................Meisner(?)

(?) denotes excellent skaters but will we see them after their Nats?

Remember these are not for predictions but your pick of 6 for the most powerful female skaters today.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
Kostner isn't top 6 yet but if you might be going by Worlds standings. I personally would disagree. Although I'm liking her skating (stroking) she was so overmarked.

I think Julia should be ahead of Kostner.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I don't mean to be dense, but what is the definition of "powerful"? Is this physical strength, as shown by height of jumps and speed, or powerful competitors, or something else? I ask because there seems to be a companion thread, but the description in it is "best" for the Men's thread.

hockeyfan228 said:
I don't mean to be dense, but what is the definition of "powerful"? Is this physical strength, as shown by height of jumps and speed, or powerful competitors, or something else? I ask because there seems to be a companion thread, but the description in it is "best" for the Men's thread.

Powerful in the sense they are the 'best' and the skaters who are the toughest to beat if one is in group B or Other.

Vash01

Medalist
Joe,

I have to disagree with Irina's #1 ranking because she has been very ill. We don't know what she will be capable of. I am surprised that you placed her ahead of Cohen, Arakawa, and Kwan.

Also I would not count out Sokolova and Suguri quite yet. They had a bad worlds in 2004 but neither is a quitter. Suguri just may not make the Japanese team, and that's the only reason she would be lower than Kostner, who is a promising talent but is pretty much a juniorish skater at this point. I would not place her in top 6 even though the judges did.

This is how I view it:

Cohen
Arakawa
Kwan
Slutskaya
Ando
Suguri
Kostner
Sebestyen (only because the judges will give her lower marks than Kostner)
Liashenko
Sokolova
Volchkova
Kirk

I can't really place them in order beyond this. I pretty much agree with the rest of your evaluations. I may move Ota slightly higher (#13?) only because I like her. :)

Vash

milanessa

Rinkside
Vash - the skaters are only in groups, not ranked #1-#18. Joe is just saying all the skaters is his first group are better than the skaters in his second group who are better in turn than the skaters in his third.

gerry

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm not ready yet to put Irina in group #1. Kostner is definitely NOT ready to be in group #1. Sebasteyn belongs in group #1. I wouldn't put Liang on the list at all. I'd put Cynthia Phaneuf in group #3, and I believe she belongs ahead of Rochette and Meisner, and I also believe she is the future of Canadian ladies' skating.

Vash01

Medalist
milanessa said:
Vash - the skaters are only in groups, not ranked #1-#18. Joe is just saying all the skaters is his first group are better than the skaters in his second group who are better in turn than the skaters in his third.

gerry

OK. My rankings hold though. :)

Vash

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Hi All

I ptretty much agree with Real Gal. Kostner I don't get and I just watched her World's perf. Awful. Amber Corwin is a better skater/performer. :yes:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hi Bijoux, how are you.been? We have missed you! Check out the new smilies. :cool:

Patti

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Six most powerful lady skaters todayl

Michelle Kwan is #1 most powerful in money earning, fans and she is marketable. That why she is the most powerful.

I can't think of anyone else who has the power that Michelle Kwan has. The rest pale in comparison to MK :love :rock:

diamond :)

shine

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
I'd put Cynthia Phaneuf in group #3, and I believe she belongs ahead of Rochette and Meisner, and I also believe she is the future of Canadian ladies' skating.
And Rochette has been on the American TV screen like, what, once?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Here are my rankings...

Top Six............Next Six
Kwan.........................Liashenko
Cohen.......................Slutskaya
Arakawa....................McDonough
Suguri........................Kirk
Ota............................Sebestyen
Ando..........................Sokolova

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't put Kostner in the first top six either. I, too think she is very much overmarked.

Dee

Vash01

Medalist
Ota at #5? As much as I would love to see her in the top group, I don't think she belongs even in the top 10 right now. I would not put McDonough in the second group either. She belongs in the 3rd, based on last year's performance (and I have not seen her this season).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I wouldn't put Kostner in the first top six either. I, too think she is very much overmarked.

Dee
When she's on, which is usually the case in her SP's (Malmo 2003, DC 2003, Dortmund 2004), she's almost a different skater. (Still the same awful telegraph into toe jumps, but they are limited in her SP, where she does 3's into 3R as her solo jump.) The problem is that she's given the same marks for inconsistent skates in the LP, where she usually dies in the last 2 minutes of the program and where there are more jumps, and, therefore, more telegraphs.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Taking the "best" in quotation marks, because the ones to beat are marked on reputation as well as quality,

Top 6 (alpha order)
Ando
Arakawa
Cohen
Kwan
Slutskaya
Sokolova

I think that Slutskaya and Sokolova can only lose a top 6th ranking.

Next group (alpha order):

Kostner
Liashenko
Sebestyen
Suguri

These are the Ladies who I think that being themselves and showing up have influence over the standings, even though they can be knocked down by unlisted skaters if they skate really sub-par performances (like Liashenko, Suguri, Slutskaya, and Sokolova in different phases in Dortmund, and even so, gaining one-two places based on their rep). Volchkova at one point would have been in the second group, but given how mightily she was ripped off in the quali and SP at Dortmund -- I think abandoned as Russian Lady #3 -- I don't think any other skaters have that influence. Regardless of how well they skate, and regardless if they are skate better than the ten listed above in a given competition, their fate is in the hands of other skaters, who have to skate badly on the whole to come in behind them.

Last edited:

chania36

On the Ice
I believe that the future of figure skating in Canada is Cynthia Phaneuf, the new Canadian Champion and also in Joanie Rochette, I've seen both live and Rochette is more mature and more ready to be top 6. She has the jumps, the elegance, the spins, etc... Cynthia is a very good skater but very young, well not that young, she is 2 years younger then Joanie but Joanie is demonstrating more maturity in her skating right now.

Cynthia won the 2004 Canadian championship but Joanie had a fall in the short program and if she would not have that fall she would of been first. I really thought that she was the one to win this year. Canadian commentators did say last year about Phaneuf that the european judges liked her and that she reminded them of Katia Gordeeva when young. So both of them can bring good things to Canada in figure skating in the years to come. They are both very talented.