Shoma Uno: "I didn't do my best" | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno: "I didn't do my best"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uno was cautious about his short program, stating that he wanted to be stronger for the long and that his skating and steps were about half of his ability. Unfortunately, in his free skate to Turandot, the two-time Japanese champion underrotated his opening quad loop and then fell on the quad flip.
“I didn’t do my best today,” admitted the two-time Japanese champion, “but I still think the practice was not a waste. I was able to show it to everybody. I would like to be more confident and take it to the next competition.”
The 2017 World silver medalist rallied back to land to land a quad toe-double toe and a solo quad. He also earned level four for all three spins and showed two strong triple Axels. He scored 197.45 for a second-place finish in the long and overall (297.94).
“In the beginning I had the quad flip in the second half after the step sequence,” explained the skater who is coached by Machiko Yamada and Mihoko Higuchi. “Right now, I have the quad toe and triple Axel there and it maybe it is a bit easier, but it still is a pretty tough layout. As long as I can perform it, I can get to a higher level.”
The skater was donned in a new costume—a heavily-embroidered yellow shirt and black pants.
“There is no reason,” said Uno. “I always make two costumes for the season and that’s the reason why I changed it this time.”
“With one jump less in the program, I am sure that most of the skaters are going to say they’re going to take out their easiest jump,” speculated Uno in regard to the upcoming rule. “So in that case, it might be tough on your strength side. Maybe that is the only change in the sport.”
Uno claims he is focusing on himself and not concerned what other skaters might think going into the Olympics.
“Of course, at the beginning of the season I tried some new quads and I guess my performances were not really consistent,” he said. “So I changed my program and I think I am starting to get where I wanted to be. As long as I can keep that up, I can get to the next level and improve more and more.”
More...