Looking for skating partner | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Looking for skating partner

gkelly

Record Breaker
If I were a guy, what wouldn't I give to get free training and ice time? It's not like the guy is the one being tossed around the rink or at risk of being dropped... :slink:

There are dangers to pair guys too. Especially at higher levels with overhead lifts and twists.

And lifting-related overuse injuries at any level.

Pair skating is a dangerous sport. If you work with an experienced coach and know what you're doing and don't try more than you're ready for, it might be worth it, but don't overlook the risks.

cl2

Final Flight
There are dangers to pair guys too. Especially at higher levels with overhead lifts and twists.

And lifting-related overuse injuries at any level.

Pair skating is a dangerous sport. If you work with an experienced coach and know what you're doing and don't try more than you're ready for, it might be worth it, but don't overlook the risks.

You're absolutely right. It was rather tongue-in-cheek what I wrote, so my apologies if it came off derisive or flippant. My coach was an elite pairs skater in his day, and the amount of injuries and surgeries he'd gone through were mind-blowing.

VegMom

On the Ice
As a mom of a male skater there’s no way I want him doing pairs. None. Too dangerous.

treesprite

Final Flight
How do pairs even practice, if they aren't usually allowed to ractice during regular freestyle sessions? Do they have to pay for private ice time?

Mussique

On the Ice
Does the girl also have to pay for coaching and ice time in ice dance, or is it better balanced? (Just out of curiosity, since I was very surprised to read that in pairs)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does the girl also have to pay for coaching and ice time in ice dance, or is it better balanced? (Just out of curiosity, since I was very surprised to read that in pairs)

It can and does sometimes happen, the bigger issue in dance is finding a male in their country to dance with (esp true of US female dancers), it’s not uncommon to seek a male partner from outside their own country.

gkelly

Record Breaker
How do pairs even practice, if they aren't usually allowed to ractice during regular freestyle sessions? Do they have to pay for private ice time?

I think it depends on the rink. Most pairs train at training centers with pair coaches who have several pairs and there can be dedicated pair training sessions, or sessions at unpopular times of day (I know one woman who skated pairs in the 1970s who said they practiced in the middle of the night; also midday freestyles when most skaters are in school may serve a few serious singles skaters along with a pair or two).

Again, it depends on the situation. There's no rule that girls must pay for partners. It's just that there are so many more girls than boys wanting to do these disciplines that the boys can usually be choosy about who they skate with and select the partner who can offer them the best situation. Who pays how much for what is one consideration in choosing a partner, as well as where to train with which coach, and of course how well the skaters match on the ice and get along personally, and many other details.

eonice

Rinkside
Just curious, why is the female half of the dance or pairs team expected to pay for the entire team's coaching and ice time? Isn't it a team effort, which should include splitting training costs as well? :scratch2:

"Supply and demand"...doth thou knowest? :drama:

RoaringMice

On the Ice

In my experience, knowing many ice dancers in the US, it is true in ice dance as well.

eonice

Rinkside

Oppegard, who had had four partners during his competition career, was ready to say goodbye to the sport — but Watson wanted to find a new partner, and she thought that Oppegard might be it. She said “kept calling” him until he agreed to try skating pairs with her.

When all else fails, keep pestering 'em until they cave. Hmm...should've tried this strategy on my wife :laugh:

I got into skating to do ice dance, and when I had been at it for a year, I was very concerned with finding a partner as well. I was lucky enough to find a lady at my local rink who by sheer stroke of luck happened to be taking lessons with my coach, so we tried out but it was a disaster stemming from the fact that neither of us really had what it takes. That was over a year ago and since then I've tried out with 3 other potentials, but it's always coming back to the same issue: I haven't yet acquired the skills (or mastery thereof) to make it work. So right now I'm really just focusing on pulling myself up to be a more viable candidate.