Vacations! | Golden Skate

Vacations!

charmblade

Final Flight
OK, maybe it's just the awful weird winter we're having here in Boston, but I'm definitely daydreaming about potential future vacations. Is anyone going anywhere fun or interesting this year? Or what's your ideal vacation if money is no object, where would you absolutely love to visit?

For me, vacations this year will depend a little on my husband's job situation, it's a little uncertain with him currently on contract work at his present job. But we are hoping to do a relaxing vacation mid-May, maybe to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park in Maine or to Provincetown, MA on Cape Cod.

We are theoretically dreaming of doing a big, two week vacation to England and Scotland this fall, complete with London, Stonehenge, the English countryside, and the Scottish highlands, so I'm extremely hopeful that will turn into a reality.

So what about everyone else? Share your fun vacation plans, either realistic or your wildest dream!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I always find the 52 Places to go list from the NYT amazing:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html

I think I'd like to go to Denver this year. I think that would be a manageable trip with a 2.5/3 year old. Seems there's plenty of kid-friendly things, beautiful nature and lots of breweries.

Other than that, I haven't thought about it too deeply, maybe I'll get inspired by one of you.

As far as dream vacations -- I'd love to return to South Korea (it's been a decade since my last visit!) and perhaps go to Japan for the first time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My vacation already happened, it was the US Nationals and then Disneyland... I'm still editing photos from that trip lol

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
As a former Michigander, I always love returning there. However, I'm not sure if I'm going anywhere this year...right now we just need to get through this week! :laugh:

I've always wanted to visit:
Russia!
Japan
more Europe
Korea
Antarctica
Canada
The Bahamas

Clearly, I need a vacation too, haha...

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
If you're looking for an adventure, I highly recommend camping in Kenya and Tanzania. We had an amazing time last year and when we were staying with the masa tribe, we heard the hyenas and lions from inside our tents :drama:. Not a R&R vacation but definitely once in a lifetime experience especially if you manage to catch the migrations like we did :luv17:

Attempting to plan a hiking trip to Nepal or Peru but I still haven't fully recovered financially from my last vacation in December :laugh:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Thanks to my University schedule, my vacations began in Christmas, and will last until the 7th of April. I saved a lot of money by having lots of jobs during 2017, so I could travel somewhere (I already have the money to cover my university fees for the next 2 years, so no problem about that).

All that being said, this is what I have already done:

1. Camino del Inca: Machu Pichu, Cuzco and Lima.
2. Punta Cana
3. Buenos Aires amd Bariloche.
4. The Hague, for a THIMUN conference, as a school tutor.

What I am going to do next:
1. Iguazú waterfalls. I went with my school 4 years ago, and I loved it.
2. Buenos Aires (again), for my bff wedding.

I want to go to the FIFA World Cup, but I will have tests at that time of the year.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best vacations we've taken to date - Israel (twice!) & the Canadian Rockies (I want to go back there)

This summer - a 2 week tour of Switzerland with friends

Some day I want to visit Holland, preferably during the tulip festival season.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well... I am using my 'vacation' holiday entitlement now for taking care of family member, so no typical vacation for me this year I think. But 5-day trip to Milan for Worlds will definitely be something vacation-like :).
I also plan to save some money from April going forward to afford maybe some last minute trip some where in Europe for 2-3 days this year or to save for something bigger. My dream destination are Japan, Australia and South America:)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well... I am using my 'vacation' holiday entitlement now for taking care of family member, so no typical vacation for me this year I think. But 5-day trip to Milan for Worlds will definitely be something vacation-like :).
I also plan to save some money from April going forward to afford maybe some last minute trip some where in Europe for 2-3 days this year or to save for something bigger. My dream destination are Japan, Australia and South America:)

*plaintive whine* take me with you!!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So.. I've been all over the UK and Canada and the Eastern seaboard of the US so..

1. France: Namely Paris and Giverny to do my pilgrimage to Claude Monet's house. Then I want to rent a house boat and sail down the Seine. I have just enough french to be dangerous.
2. Russia: Namely St. Petersburg and Moscow: I've always wanted to go to Russia because I studied lots of Russian history in University and because I have always loved Ballet.
3. The Bel-lux countries because they look lovely.
4. Eastern Europe: Especially Vienna, Prague and Buda Pest because I've also studied Eastern European history and thought it sounded like a great place to visit.
5. I want to walk on the Great Wall of China and visit the Forbidden City some time before I kick the bucket.

Ultimate dream trip (the kind of if money was not option thing) I want to do the Orient Express. I wanted to do it since I was a little kid and saw the film and then it stopped running for a while and now someone revived it. But it is very expensive and only operates in high season for flying so it's even pricier.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
*plaintive whine* take me with you!!!

I would, if I could make it happen somehow:ghug:, I would love to have some kind of poster with me there saying hi to You all from audience though, not sure if it Will happen;)

Dafna

On the Ice
So.. I've been all over the UK and Canada and the Eastern seaboard of the US so..

1. France: Namely Paris and Giverny to do my pilgrimage to Claude Monet's house. Then I want to rent a house boat and sail down the Seine. I have just enough french to be dangerous.
2. Russia: Namely St. Petersburg and Moscow: I've always wanted to go to Russia because I studied lots of Russian history in University and because I have always loved Ballet.
3. The Bel-lux countries because they look lovely.
4. Eastern Europe: Especially Vienna, Prague and Buda Pest because I've also studied Eastern European history and thought it sounded like a great place to visit.
5. I want to walk on the Great Wall of China and visit the Forbidden City some time before I kick the bucket.

Ultimate dream trip (the kind of if money was not option thing) I want to do the Orient Express. I wanted to do it since I was a little kid and saw the film and then it stopped running for a while and now someone revived it. But it is very expensive and only operates in high season for flying so it's even pricier.

Ancientpeas, since I read you are interested in Eastern Europe, you should not forget to put on your list the so called “the hidden gem”: Greece, Montenegro, Albania, Turkey. Please don’t forget to thank you me, when you’ll be back from that trip. If you visit or stay in any of the above countries you will find: pristine, beautiful and unspoiled places, of course 3000 years old cities and towns and museums, an unimaginable landscape, very friendly people, very delicious food, and not expensive at all. Everybody speaks English and is happy to show you around.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Ancientpeas, since I read you are interested in Eastern Europe, you should not forget to put on your list the so called “the hidden gem”: Greece, Montenegro, Albania, Turkey. Please don’t forget to thank you me, when you’ll be back from that trip. If you visit or stay in any of the above countries you will find: pristine, beautiful and unspoiled places, of course 3000 years old cities and towns and museums, an unimaginable landscape, very friendly people, very delicious food, and not expensive at all. Everybody speaks English and is happy to show you around.

*making notes* I'm a huge fan of the Rick Steeves travel programs on PBS so I would definitely want to go to those countries. I'd just have to go when it's not hot. I can handle cold, cold (like it's -25C outside right now and I was shoveling me snow without a toque or my heavy winter coat) but I melt in the slightest heat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw Rick Steves speak last year! He is great....I want to watch his educational videos -- so many useful travel tips!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since you are mentioning Eastern Europe, I went on a Viking River Cruise called Passages to Eastern Europe. Started in Hungary, with stops in Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia, ending in Romania. We did a 2 day extension in Romania. Very, very relaxing.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

4 years ago did the whole Peru thing with Machu Picchu, the Amazon, Cuzco, etc. It was amazing and I highly recommend it! I dream of going to Argentina.

charmblade

Final Flight
We got our Rick Steves Great Britain book from Amazon today and i've spent all evening perusing it. He was a great help when we did our Amsterdam, Belgium, Paris trip a couple of years ago.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Come to Uruguay too, we have better beaches :biggrin:

I'll get there one of these days! It's a big regret of mine that I've only been to South America once. I usually start by looking at the airfare and go :dance2: :bang: :hpull:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As someone who loves trains I have read that South America has some of the craziest train rides in the world when going through the Andes. I don't like heights very much though.