2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP | Page 135 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies SP

Imagine

Medalist
What if Eteri does something to sabotage Alina in the FS...

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. At the end of the day, she has two skaters poised to podium at the Olympics, and one of them is going to win the gold. Why the heck would she "sabotage" her own student, thus opening the door for a Canadian or Japanese lady to take the prize? I understand that it's become fashionable to demonize Eteri for every face she makes (or doesn't make), but the she's-a cold-manipulative-evil-witch-storyline needs to die. It was funny for a hot minute, but now it's just offensive, like certain people attacking her appearance and whatnot. Based on what? Perceived indications of favoritism? This is a professional coach at work on the highest level in the sport, not some daytime soap opera. What is she supposed to do? Cry tears of joy for Alina in the waiting area, knowing that she has another student in the back who is as crushed as Alina is happy? I feel like ever since Yulia left Eteri, it's been nonstop speculation and attacks on her character for the tiniest things.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Overall a great event.

I'm so proud of Satoko for delivering such a masterpiece of a program. Should have higher PCS along with Kaetlyn or Zhenya. But I'm so proud and on my feet because how beautiful was that??!

Kaori is just explosive! Her program didn't feel backloaded at all.

Evgenia, great skate as expected from the queen of consistency! Her jumps looked muscled but what is new. I was kinda expecting a 39 PCS since this is Olys, not that I agree with her PCS overall.

Alina, monster tech! This girl is very very talented. Her jumps are sharper than Zhenya's and spins are great. I only have quarrel with her step sequence and PCS overall. That wasn't better than Kaetlyn or Satoko. Her program looks disconnected still unlike Kaori's despite it being backloaded as well. I love the costume!!! It was only until Euros that I noticed the beads can be reversed.

Kaetlyn!!!! I'm so proud she skated so well! IMO, should be in the same scoring as Zhenya and Alina. Her program is a skater's program. The flow, BIG JUMPS, expression are all through the roof! To me she should be in contention for the gold, not bronze.

Mashaaa <///3 it's okay, love. Go skate lights out in the free.

Dabin, I love the crowd support for Dabin! Her skating is so sooooft like marshmallows. XD

Caro, skating is smooth as always! Too bad about the mistakes but her 3F flew!

Mirai!!! too bad about the 3A but the rest were great!

Karen, very emotional program and I love that it gives you a feeling of serenity. Huuge lutz jumper but too bad she can't seem to control her landing. But I would hate if she would take the same path as Gracie and tone it down. Big jumps are awesome.

Proxy

On the Ice
Question: Is Alina the first skater or first female skater doing two backloaded programs?

I don't know, but the judges don't mark them down for it when they should. It's ok to get the tech boost if that's the rules but when the programs are not balanced they should be getting lower components scores. It was refreshing to see NBC tonight show in detail all of the wrong edges on Russians and Kaetlyn and explain they are wrong and the tech caller does not mark them down anyway.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't know, but the judges don't mark them down for it when they should. It's ok to get the tech boost if that's the rules but when the programs are not balanced they should be getting lower components scores. It was refreshing to see NBC tonight show in detail all of the wrong edges on Russians and Kaetlyn and explain they are wrong and the tech caller does not market them down anyway.

You mean Evgenia and Kaetlyn right? Alina and Maria have correct edge lutzes.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What is that kind of schedule seriously? Why a day off? It's too long.
Zagitova ahead of Medvedeva, as it should be. Good performances ans scores for Satoko and Kaori.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
The same reason as they have for Med's GOEs and PCS scores.

And they probably blew up as quickly as they did because they knew a showdown at the Olympics would draw a crowd.

(Or they realized who had better jumps and the better/more challenging program and grew some awareness.)

If it's the first explanation, it's corruption. If it's the second explanation ("growing awareness"), then it's a shocking display of incompetence and every judge in the GPF and Cup of China and France GP should be decertified.

Either way it should be a massive scandal. It would be in any other sport. We either have corruption or judges who are so incompetent and dumb they can't even award some of the finest skating ever to be put on the ice? It's one or the other.

DexterK

On the Ice

Yes, Johnny and Tara spoke of the incorrect edge on Kaetlyn and Evgenia’s Lutzes. They even mentioned that Evgenia should receive an edge call, but doesn’t because of her reputation/status.

Proxy

On the Ice

Yep Evgenia and Kaetlyn I saw, I thought they showed the other Russian besides Zagitova but maybe not, I wasn't really watching her close. Evgenia doesn't have good technique on her jumps, I'm really surprised she skates clean. Usually bad technique will lead to errors under pressure. Both her and Kaetyln should get marked down at the very least.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yep Evgenia and Kaetlyn I saw, I thought they showed the other Russian besides Zagitova but maybe not, I wasn't really watching her close. Evgenia doesn't have good technique on her jumps, I'm really surprised she skates clean. Usually bad technique will lead to errors under pressure. Both her and Kaetyln should get marked down at the very least.

Your relentless negativity is astounding. :thank:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Did Zhenya even do a Lutz in the SP? That would surprise me...it’s usually a 3f-3t and a 3lo in the SP.

Nope, she had all correct edges tonight. But I was talking about the general comment that I responded to. He said "wrong edges of Russians and Kaetlyn, which is incorrect because Maria and Alina do not have any wrong edges.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Johnny and Tara spoke of the incorrect edge on Kaetlyn and Evgenia’s Lutzes. They even mentioned that Evgenia should receive an edge call, but doesn’t because of her reputation/status.

Did Zhenya perform a Lutz tonight? I’m getting confused here? To the protocols I go :scard7: