2018 Junior Worlds Entries and pregame chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior Worlds Entries and pregame chat

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So who do we think are the main medal contenders in each discipline?

In dance, I'd say the three Russian teams, Carreira/Ponomarenko and Lajoie/Lagha.

In ladies, Alexandra Trusova, Alena Kostornaya and Rika Kihara are the first group (with the two Russians having a bit of an advantage imo), then the Korean girls, Stanislava Konstantinova, and maybe the other Japanese girls.

Pairs can be pretty unpredictable, but I'd say the three Russian teams, then maybe Gao/Xie and Walsh/Michaud. I might have missed someone here.

Junior men can also be unpredictable. I'd say Junhwan Cha, Alexei Krasnozhon and Matteo Rizzo would be the top group for me. Other contenders would be Alexey Erokhov, Joseph Phan, Camden Pulkinen, Mitsuki Sumoto, and Roman Savosin. Some more likely than others, but I wouldn't be shocked to see any of these guys on the podium.

Kara

Final Flight
Junhwan has decided to sit this out, but I'm happy for Young hyun! His routines are excellently choreographed. Excited to see Mitsuki again. He's really become my favorite Junior man currently. The spread eagles! :love:

Also really sad and disappointed to see Gubanova not on the list, but it was expected I guess.:sad21: Should I be feeling guilty that the chances for the Korean junior ladies gaining 3 spots is higher now...?:slink:

tjb

Match Penalty
In ladies, Alexandra Trusova, Alena Kostornaya and Rika Kihara are the first group (with the two Russians having a bit of an advantage imo), then the Korean girls, Stanislava Konstantinova, and maybe the other Japanese girls.
i'll put eunsoo lim above kihira. rika is a japanese junior version of kaetlyn osmond. everyone is impressed with her 3As but she never skates clean. she had only 1 clean skate in the last 2 seasons so far (that's including national competitions). and while kaetlyn always skates relatively well even if she's not clean, rika might totally bomb and score in 150 range (like she did last year at junior nationals)
young you also has a shot at the bronze, but she's not so loved among the judges yet as eunsoo.
and mako of course

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm interested to see how Ting and Emmy do, plus Hongyi Chen and Anastasia Arkhipova. Plus of course Trusova, Kostornaya, You, Kihira, Yamashita, Yokoi, Konstantinova, Lim, etc.

tjb

Match Penalty
i'm little worried about sasha to be honest.
seems like she puts too much emphasis in training on quads. no doubt that her quads are looking better and i expect her to land one at junior worlds, but at the same time her +3Lo combo is not looking 100% solid anymore, and if she skates like she did at her national competitions she's not gonna win:(
i want my baby to win so much, but it seems like alena is a clear favorite for the gold

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
seems like she puts too much emphasis in training on quads. no doubt that her quads are looking better and i expect her to land one at junior worlds, but at the same time her +3Lo combo is not looking 100% solid anymore, and if she skates like she did at her national competitions she's not gonna win:(
i want my baby to win so much, but it seems like alena is a clear favorite for the gold

don't freak out, dear tjb...
that was just a local competition, so she was playing a bit it seemed, and trying to win over lots of really good teammates
they won't be at JWC, besides Kostornaya, well and Konstantinova but she's not a threat
she will be training her combo quite hard and hopefully losing the Final lit a fire under her that she can't just skate messily and still win
she knows what she needs to do. she will do it. also at junior nationals, Alenka fell in her short. Sasha might make errors, but so might Alenka. plus, Sasha has higher BV. however, Sasha can't afford very many, and she knows that after watching the JGPF and Jr. Nats. Alenka's been getting good, but Sasha's good too. she's got this. just breathe and believe :)

atsumiri

Record Breaker
It's hard to be without a full coaches team for a month.
Eteri and Dudakov left OG right after FS. And went back to Moscow.
I wouldn't be too worry about Sasha. :)

skatenewbie

Medalist
Can't wait really! ladies are going to be so interesting. Russia for sure will secure 3 spots, and Japan too. But can USA/S.Korea get that 3 spots? Ting Cui, Emmy Ma, Eunsoo and You are all really good. hopefully they can deliver! also Rika K. to finally land clean FS with 2 3A and Trusova to land clean 4S in int comp.

tjb

Match Penalty
Can't wait really! ladies are going to be so interesting. Russia for sure will secure 3 spots, and Japan too. But can USA/S.Korea get that 3 spots? Ting Cui, Emmy Ma, Eunsoo and You are all really good. hopefully they can deliver! also Rika K. to finally land clean FS with 2 3A and Trusova to land clean 4S in int comp.

the spots system in juniors is different from seniors. only top 2 countries will receive a 3 spots. and the rank of a country is determined by one skater (the highest placed skater)
for example alina zagitova won gold last year and marin honda won silver, so russia and japan is number 1 and 2 in the ranks and they got 3 spots.
even if it's gonna be something like:
1.russia
2.russia
3.russia
4.japan
5.usa
6.usa
37.japan
38.japan
japan still gets a 3 spots. so no, it's impossible for the US, but probably possible for korea.
although placing number 3 in the ranks is also not bad, it gives a country 2 spots at every JGP

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'd say that only Russia is guaranteed to get 3 spots. It's almost impossible to imagine both Kostornaia and Trusova to fail to finish in top 2.
I don't really think she's just skating to win. If she was, she could win just with her full back load, correct edge repeating lutz and 3Lo combo. Alena wouldn't get enough PCS to overtake her, or at least hasn't thus far even had a PCS advantage.

She tries to be the first lady to land a clean 4S in an international competition and that seems to be her main goal.

tjb

Match Penalty
australia has a 3 spots in pairs. and they are sending no one. the pairs field in australia is not very deep it seems

Yeah, I'd say that only Russia is guaranteed to get 3 spots. It's almost impossible to imagine both Kostornaia and Trusova to fail to finish in top 2.

I don't really think she's just skating to win. If she was, she could win just with her full back load, correct edge repeating lutz and 3Lo combo. Alena wouldn't get enough PCS to overtake her, or at least hasn't thus far even had a PCS advantage.

She tries to be the first lady to land a clean 4S in an international competition and that seems to be her main goal.

yes , i know that she's skating not just for the win, and i love my baby for that. but a title of a junior world champion is no lesser achievement than landing of a jump. she has a plenty of competitions ahead to land her 4S (hopefully she goes just for the salchow there, and not for the toeloop), and only 2 chances to become a junior world champ. radionova is the only lady so far who won jwc twice, i want for sasha to become a truly historic person, so she needs to repeat elena's achievment, but seems like it's not gonna happen:(

mariap

Rinkside
Viveca Lindfors was selected to the worlds so she will not participate in junior worlds. Emmi Peltonen was the first substitute but i'd imagine after the olympics she'll skip this event and Sofia Sula will represent finland. It would be a great opportunity to Sofia because she's definitely one of Finland's most promising juniors ! :luv17:

oleada

Record Breaker
the spots system in juniors is different from seniors. only top 2 countries will receive a 3 spots. and the rank of a country is determined by one skater (the highest placed skater)
for example alina zagitova won gold last year and marin honda won silver, so russia and japan is number 1 and 2 in the ranks and they got 3 spots.
even if it's gonna be something like:
1.russia
2.russia
3.russia
4.japan
5.usa
6.usa
37.japan
38.japan
japan still gets a 3 spots. so no, it's impossible for the US, but probably possible for korea.
although placing number 3 in the ranks is also not bad, it gives a country 2 spots at every JGP

No, this is incorrect. The top 3 countries get the full set of junior Grand Prix spots (2x event). The entries for the next years JW are done the same as any other ISU championship. If, for example, a country sends two skaters, and one finishes 1st and the other 18th, then they still only get two spots for Junior Worlds, but the maximum amount of entries in the JGP. A country that sends two skaters, and the end up 4th and 6th will get 3 spots at Junior Worlds, but it’s JGP spots will depend on the nationalities that finish ahead of the 4th ranked skater. For example, if the ladies finish:

1. RUS
2. RUS
3. JPN
4. KOR
5. USA
6. KOR
7. JPN
15. USA

Then Russia, Japan and Korea will all get 3 spots at next years Junior Worlds based on their placements (total of less than 13) and then 2 ladies entries at each JGP event. USA will get 2 spots at Junior Worlds and 1 ladies entry at each JGP.

tjb

Match Penalty
No, this is incorrect. The top 3 countries get the full set of junior Grand Prix spots (2x event). The entries for the next years JW are done the same as any other ISU championship. If, for example, a country sends two skaters, and one finishes 1st and the other 18th, then they still only get two spots for Junior Worlds, but the maximum amount of entries in the JGP. A country that sends two skaters, and the end up 4th and 6th will get 3 spots at Junior Worlds, but it’s JGP spots will depend on the nationalities that finish ahead of the 4th ranked skater. For example, if the ladies finish:

1. RUS
2. RUS
3. JPN
4. KOR
5. USA
6. KOR
7. JPN
15. USA

Then Russia, Japan and Korea will all get 3 spots at next years Junior Worlds based on their placements (total of less than 13) and then 2 ladies entries at each JGP event. USA will get 2 spots at Junior Worlds and 1 ladies entry at each JGP.

can you show me the rules, where all of this is written? i'm almost sure that i read the rules in a previous year and everything there was just like i said. did they changed something, or i'm just going crazy?
also if what you are saying is true, how you will explain a 3 spots for australian pairs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships

oleada

Record Breaker
can you show me the rules, where all of this is written? i'm almost sure that i read the rules in a previous year and everything there was just like i said. did they changed something, or i'm just going crazy?
also if what you are saying is true, how you will explain a 3 spots for australian pairs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Junior_Figure_Skating_Championships

If a country has one entry, a placement in the top 2 will give hem 3 spots towards next year’s championship. Aleksandrovskaya/Windsor were the only Australian entry, and they placed first, so Australia earns 3 spots at Junior Worlds this year and 3 pairs entries to each JGP events with a Pairs competition.

See section B
https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...igure-skating-rules/regulations-rules-fs/file

The only difference between Junior Worlds and other championships is that federations also earn Junior Grand Prix spots. This is were federations need to finish in the top 3 (4 for pairs IIRC) to earn the full amount of spots, which is 2 per JGP event for singles and dance, and 3 for pairs. The rules for that were linked in the post above me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Under the one skater in the top three rule, Nicolas Nadeau got three spots for Canada a few years ago by being their only male skater and finishing second.

I’m not really that interested in the ladies... sorry ... but can someone apply this to the men? If Alexei wins and Camden is top four, will the US men keep three? Or does Alexei winning do that all by itself, even though the US men have three entries?:scratch2: