Sui and Han grab lead in Pairs | Golden Skate

Sui and Han grab lead in Pairs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Pairs event in Figure Skating at the 2018 Winter Olympics began with the Short Program on Wednesday morning with Wenjing Sui and Cong Han of China taking the lead, followed by Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov (OAR) and Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford (CAN).

Sui and Han were passionate, yet stellar, in their routine to “Hallelujah,” racking up positive grades of execution (GOE) on all of their elements. Their program featured perfect side-by-side triple toes, a throw triple flip, and level 4 on their twist, footwork and spins. The team earned a new personal best of 82.39 (44.49/37.90) points for a first-place finish.
“I was very emotional today,” admitted Sui, when asked about feeling pressure. “Even when I was putting on my make-up, I was already crying. I just felt very nervous. But after we got on the ice and finished our routine, I realized there’s all there is to it. Maybe we gave ourselves too much pressure, but as athletes and a representative of China, as long as you express yourself to your fullest, that’s all you can do.”

More....

What are your thoughts on the Pairs SP? Lots of GREAT skates today!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Massot on Savchenko:

"I don't want her to come home with another bronze medal."

Other than my favorites, of course, Sui and Han, this was my second favorite performance. I really, really want them to get a silver.
But my, oh, my, I was so floored by the high quality and beautiful performances by ALL the pairs. I wanted to give them all a medal collectively for showing the world how great Figure Skating can be. :love:
Vanessa and Morgan were my 3rd favorite of the day.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Congrats to Weijing and Cong - they were magnificent! But what I really want is to give Bruno a massive hug...

By the way, forgot to ask - Eurosport only showed the last two groups so I missed loads - what happened to the Kneirims? SBS jump trouble perhaps?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
That was the most competitive event that i've never seen. Even the last pairs weren't bad. The cut is cruel. Everyone should skate the free.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Let's wait till tomorrow for what I think might happen to hopefully not happen.

That is all.

Am I a bad figure skating fan when I really, REALLY, don't want one particular team to win? Or even to podium? With the cringiest free skate ever?

I'm just praying for Wenjing's Salchow and that the judges will come to their senses at least a liiiiitle bit...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Massot on Savchenko:

"I don't want her to come home with another bronze medal."

This exactly kind of confirms my thoughts about their SP performance, the score and placement - I feel incredibly sorry for Bruno, but we ALL (including him in person) feel more for Aljona. Yes, they are a team and they are both responsible as a team of what happened, but even Bruno realizes that the scale is much bigger in Aljona's case - she's 5-time Olympian and in two last quads she won everything except Olympic Gold. He truly understands her drive, passion and competitive spirit in following something she wants so strongly, hence the remark.

After finishing pose Aljona asked him something which was probably, if he doubled his solo jump and he was pretty devastated, because he knows how it fares among all what we saw today. They do not have the hardest jumps, so they sure knew they had to go pristine clean to give themselves best chance. I really respect his honesty and compassion expressed in those few words - it's kind of touching and special to see him not thinking about his own possibility to medal at Olympics (after such sky-rocketed progress and success in past 2/3 seasons), but to focus on what he would not want for Aljona to happen. He gets this drive, poise, hunger - he works with her, after all.

I am in minority probably, but I do think she even had a right to react harsher, bolder - yet she merely has shown disappointment about this situation as a whole, not put the overall blame and fault on Bruno, despite that his mistake was the biggest bullet. This really shows that her class, experience are on par with her skill, drive and capabilities. Queen no matter of what will happen tomorrow, at least for me.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I wonder if Aljona doesn't get the gold this time, will she stick around for another Olympics.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think many skaters would be happy about any Olympic medal, what ever the colour! Maybe I´m wrong, but the previous time, did not both Savchenko and Szolkowy make a mistake in the freeskate?

Sui & Han were really amazing and so were Tarasova & Morozov!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I think many skaters would be happy about any Olympic medal, what ever the colour! Maybe I´m wrong, but the previous time, did not both Savchenko and Szolkowy make a mistake in the freeskate?

Sui & Han were really amazing and so were Tarasova & Morozov!

If I remember correctly, Robin didn't manage to do the triple jump sequence correctly and Aliona fell on thrown Triple Axel.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Queen no matter of what will happen tomorrow, at least for me.

Same here. She is already a legend. And if she goes out tomorrow, and attempts all those ridiculously hard elements, it will be epic no matter if she lands them or not. Her drive and determination, the way she refuses to give up is truly admirable.

And I think they're a great team. He understands this about her and she probably understands that she cannot demand more from him than he is capable of delivering.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Her making a mistake or not really wasn't the cause of the heartache in Sochi,
It's that no matter what her and Robin would've done or how much she broke her body
The judges were never gonna allow her to be in the same score class as V\T
during the olympic year, Even though she's been the best in the world for a very long time

Plus i bet feeling like no one in the arena really cares about you probably doesn't help... ?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Sui and Han are a class above. This performance is better than most if not all the dances I've seen this OGs. I have been watching them on repeat. I CAN'T SAY I'VE DONE THAT FOR ANY SD OR FD WE'VE SEEN THUS FAR. They dance together, not just skate together with such, connection, verve and vitality, especially when on. I could have easily also put Duhammel above T/M for these reasons as well. D/R have really improved in everything they do this season. The long will be a nail biter. I hope I will not fall asleep this time. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"Trankov didn't agree with the points of Duhamel and Radford"

Sports.ru

As someone who constantly got +GOE for two-footed throws or huge PCS even with errors, he's one to talk. :rolleye:

This was a brilliant pairs SP! Arguably the most competitive one ever. Stellar performances from the top 9 teams. Bronze will be an incredible battle but even gold and silver will be up for grabs. Should be an awesome freeskate!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i know we are all worried about Wenjing's SBS but remember GPF and Cong's jump mistakes? we should pray for them equally :biggrin: plus her 3S has been the best this season since i started following FS so i am hopeful, good luck in LP and getting the gold! :love: