Hanyu leads Men in Pyeongchang | Golden Skate

Hanyu leads Men in Pyeongchang

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanyu was spot-on in his routine to music by Chopin, nailing a quad Salchow, triple Axel, and quad toe-triple toe. The defending champion earned no less than +2 grades of execution (GOE) on all elements, placing first with 111.68 points.

“I just felt happy to skate,” said the two-time World champion of his performance. “I just felt satisfied with my every element. I am really happy because I was really feeling the music too, and the ice. I am very satisfied with my performance today, but I still have tomorrow, so I will do my best tomorrow.”

The 23-year-old is coming off an injury and says he is doing his best.

“I wanted to say to everyone that I am back here,” said Hanyu. “Very happy that there are a lot in the audience, but I couldn’t perform for the last three months, so I am very happy to be back.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the Men's short?

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Given how quiet everything has been around him I was a bit surprised he absolutely nailed this, but of course very happy. Here's hoping he can also put out a great FS, cannot wait for Olympic Seimei.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I absolutely have loved all the top men this season. I really hope we get some lights out performances in the free!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Watched the whole last group with my heart in my throat, so glad that Yuzu was able to stay calm in the media frenzy and do what he had to do to be ready.

Proxy

On the Ice
Javier should be leading. His program and skate were better although both were good. Hanyu is only ahead because of his reputation.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Javier should be leading. His program and skate were better although both were good. Hanyu is only ahead because of his reputation.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

JAvier was great, but he had lower BV, less harder transitions. Hanyu has better spins. Style of performance can be subjective but the facts I wrote not

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Hanyu did the 4T+3T and 3A in the 2nd half. He gets 10% more from that. Javi only did 3A after 2nd half. And the GOE. That's why Hanyu's TES is 4 pts higher than Javier.
Do the math.

DiamondDust

Final Flight

I can't believe this comment. Come on! Javier himself has pretty good reputation. Yuzuru's lead came from his TES because he maximized the 10% bonus in the second half also the transitions were better and there's the GOEs. The placing is right.

GGFan

Record Breaker
What a moment he had! I've seen the program so many times and yet it still felt special because of all the nuances and nods to the music.

If you're bringing a program back, make sure it's a masterpiece like this one :yahoo:

Sveta

On the Ice
It was MAGICAL!!!
No words can describe it, must see program for all who loves figure skating. And I was so privileged and lucky to see Chopin live in Rostelecom Cup.

The best of luck in FP! Please show us another magical performance!

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu gave me major CHILLS. His skating is on a level above everyone else.

steiner

Rinkside
Regardless of what happens in the free, he has a lot to be proud of. A truly special Olympic moment.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The magnitude of this performance by Yuzuru will live with me forever . The moment when he successfully completed the triple axel and attacked the step sequence with the building crescendo of the frenetic piano chords of chopin was breathtaking ....I mean this is genius of the likes we may never witness again .

da96103

Record Breaker
The magnitude of this performance by Yuzuru will live with me forever . The moment when he successfully completed the triple axel and attacked the step sequence with the building crescendo of the frenetic piano chords of chopin was breathtaking ....I mean this is genius of the likes we may never witness again .

I think Seimei can arguably top that. I think Yuzu never forgive himself for not skating a clean Seimei at Worlds. Tomorrow will be the redemption for that.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Yuzu was amazing! I was clapping the entire time! What a come back.
Javi was also amazing. Jun Hwan was great. Brian Orser must be so proud of his boys. :)))

What an exciting final group. Too bad about Nathan's SP. Hope he skates the way he wants to in the free skate.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Disney should sponsor Yuzu.
I mean think of all the plushies revenue he's brought them :D