Rippon: "Pyeongchang is his stage" | Golden Skate

Rippon: "Pyeongchang is his stage"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2016 U.S. champion is thriving in the Olympic spotlight, confident in what he is doing and putting out. He realizes he may not be the best in the competition, but is definitely the “most fun.”

“Yeah! It’s my world,” he said of the stage in Pyeongchang. “Everybody is living in it. For my mum, this is like huge. She has been there from the very beginning. I have a brother here and a sister who has never seen me compete before, so they have been waiting for a big moment and I think for them to be here and come to the Olympic Games is awesome.”

More...

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker

Manitou

Medalist
They should ban these once-in-4-years journalists from writing articles about figure skating. I bet Phil Hersh and Jackie Wong are face palming.

Just the opposite. The media is making money by stirring sensations. They don’t give rat’s a** about people or truth. The Olympics with all those potential controversies, hyper emotions and craziness, is a perfect ground for this.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They should ban these once-in-4-years journalists from writing articles about figure skating. I bet Phil Hersh and Jackie Wong are face palming.

I disagree. This interviewer chose another angle. Adam's first words in the piece are:

"When I am having a really great performance, I have almost nothing going through my mind. It just kind of goes by in a flash."https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/20...-skater-usa-winter-olympics-2018-orig-nws.cnn

This is a well-documented phenomenon called being in flow. When you're in flow, you're so absorbed in the creative moment that time is relative. Creative people of all kinds have said that moments in flow are often a big reason they keep doing it. The experience becomes transcendent. These moments make the struggle worth it.

None other than the great Jane Torvill has said exactly the same thing about her greatest performances as Adam said here.

Then, Adam goes on to say what he does and how he feels when he performs a quad lutz. It's actually very cool. What questions did the writer ask Adam, to get this lovely piece?

The writer may not even have written the headline or been allowed to influence it. The CNN series is titled "Aiming for Gold." We expect every figure skater to aim for his or her best skate. To a casual CNN viewer, that's how it's translated. Aiming for Gold doesn't mean expecting gold.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
All the athletes are thrilled and grateful to be at the Olympics even with no medal chances but I think Adam is the only one who congratulates himself left and right about how he's here, he's thriving and the world is his oyster :DD

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think Adam's motto is Carpe Diem. This is his opportunity. He has grabbed the spotlight and ran with it.

But he isn't going to win an OGM and he knows that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Adam's motto is Carpe Diem. This is his opportunity. He has grabbed the spotlight and ran with it.

But he isn't going to win an OGM and he knows that.

Well, you don't need the OGM to "win" the Olympics. And, right now, he's "winning" the Olympics.

His brand has so far skyrocketed thanks to this experience.

He doesn't have 4 or 5 quads and yet he is one of the most talked about athletes. That's star power..

MiRé

Match Penalty
Well, you don't need the OGM to "win" the Olympics. And, right now, he's "winning" the Olympics.

He doesn't have 4 or 5 quads and yet he is one of the most talked about athletes. That's star power..

To be fair....you have to credit Mike Pence at least a bit for Adam's fame :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I pray for Adam and Ashley to replace Tara and Johnny for the next Olympics. Someone has to save us from all that cringe! [emoji23]
I love Adam's attitude, he is definitely having the time of his life in Pyeonchang! I think that's helping him get good results. Instead of being extremely nervous, he seems to be enjoying every moment and making the most of this opportunity.

treeloving

Medalist
When US. poster talked about the pressure and media coverage of Nathan , I was like "but on my facebook feed I only see new about Adam Rippon......"

He makes headline like everyday.

Putina

On the Ice
If Lipinski follows Bezic's footstep, she might commentate figure skating for the next 25 years or so.. a scary thought indeed.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I pray for Adam and Ashley to replace Tara and Johnny for the next Olympics. Someone has to save us from all that cringe! [emoji23]
I love Adam's attitude, he is definitely having the time of his life in Pyeonchang! I think that's helping him get good results. Instead of being extremely nervous, he seems to be enjoying every moment and making the most of this opportunity.

Reading through Ashley's twitter makes me cringe a lot more than listening to Tara.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the athletes are thrilled and grateful to be at the Olympics even with no medal chances but I think Adam is the only one who congratulates himself left and right about how he's here, he's thriving and the world is his oyster :DD

I know this is the Olympics and EVERYONE works hard. But the commentators are always going on about his work ethic in particular, how he's out running at midnight and such. From the 2 slices of bread diet to eating the gym apples to living in Raf's basement, I really admire his tenacity. He's either the oldest US figure skater or the oldest first time Olympic figure skater. Almost anyone else would have given up by now. If anyone "deserves" it, it's Adam. And more than coming out as gay, I really admire him for talking about the eating issues in the sport.

I know I may be reading in to this because I like him, but his message to me is that it's ok to be yourself.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just saw that NBC has picked him up as a commentator for the rest of the games--- may this be the start of the end of Tara and Johnny

Just saw that NBC has picked him up as a commentator for the rest of the games--- may this be the start of the end of Tara and Johnny

I doubt it. NBC has invested a lot in Johnie and Tara, even sending them to other sports events like the Kentucky Derby. I think it is more likely that Adam will do guest spots and conduct interviews.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
Johnny and Tara will be around a while. Tara is an Olympic champion, that holds more weight than team bronze

shine

Record Breaker

And none of that really has much to do with his actual skating..........