Hanyu defends Olympic title | Golden Skate

Hanyu defends Olympic title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I have no words right now," he said. "I am overwhelmed. I am just happy with my performance and my hard training and everything."

More...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Starting to think that this hiding from media was more because it was unknown until last moments if he will be even able to skate at Olympics. Seems he started to jump quads 10 days before competition...

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Not just any gold medal, but the Winter Olympics 1000th Gold Medal. :)

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu is the greatest figure skater

of all time. And one of the greatest athletes in history. That is all :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I don't have time to watch tv....I don't have to watch his skate to know how amazing this skater is....congrats to Hanyu. I knew he was special when I first saw his Rhapsody on a theme of paganini, but please, no more Prince.

Hanyu did what he came to do. Nothing can stop this guy. He did what no man has been able to do for 60 years. He is the perfect blend of tech, blade skills and artistry. :clap: :clap: :clap:

bobbob

Medalist
He totally deserved to win, but it was far from his best skate. I have a feeling Yuzuru's best is still to come, considering he didn't even try his loop or lutz here.

dailytg20

On the Ice
Loved his outpouring of emotion at the result. From my experience, he instantly endeared himself to people who don't follow men's skating. I had to explain the Poohs, but not the prodigious, face-melting talent.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Absolutely delighted, chuffed, in a tizzy and gobsmacked by Yuzu's win. I traveled to my home town to watch it with my Figure Skating fan group (aka: family) and we all had a blast. The uncertainty turned to celebration. I've not peeled myself from the ceiling yet.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He totally deserved to win, but it was far from his best skate. I have a feeling Yuzuru's best is still to come, considering he didn't even try his loop or lutz here.

It wasn't his best, but it likely would have been equal to his original best showings of Seimei if he had just kept the 2nd 3Axel instead of trying to throw in a 2nd 4Toe.

charlotte14

Medalist
It wasn't his best, but it likely would have been equal to his original best showings of Seimei if he had just kept the 2nd 3Axel instead of trying to throw in a 2nd 4Toe.
I think he was more like go or die. He thought he must do 4 quads to be competitive against the other men and who could blame him?

Had he been healthier he would have done the Helsinki layout with the 4Loop but from his fan thread @Yude said this:

Yomiuri newspaper reported this morning that he started jumping quad 10 days before the competition, but it didn't mean that he was fully healed and he had to take potent medicine to calm down his pain. I was very shocked reading this but I didn't post it here because I thought it was better not to since it was just right before FS and we needed to be positive and supportive for him. And I also thought we'll get more information later from Yuzuru directly.

it's a miracle he landed those quads at this Olympic honestly.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
He is certainly the defining talent of this quad. I am not sure greatest of all time has any meaning because the rules of the sport have changed drastically over the decades.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Greatest of all time for sure. He has it all: talent, athleticism, artistry, performance ability, charisma, mental strength and determination. One of a kind!

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I do hope that in 2 years at the Tokyo Olympics, they can invite him to be one of the ppl carrying the Olympic Flag in the opening or one of the final torch runners at least. Getting back to back gold in figure skating is a mammoth task!