Uno: "I was focused" | Golden Skate

Uno: "I was focused"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“I missed the first jump, but the rest of the program was fine,” said the 20-year-old from Nagoya. “I stayed calm after the mistake and was able to give a good performance. I tried to skate like in practice. I tried hard for the jumps. I know the success rate is not that high, but I still wanted to try everything.”

The 2017 World silver medalist scored 202.73. finishing third in the free skate and second overall (306.90).

“There was no special feeling right now,” said of his new silver medal. “I was just focused on my performance. The goal was to pull off what I had prepared.”

More...

Last edited:

GGFan

Record Breaker
What a lovely musical skater Shoma is!! And to develop during a time when Hanyu is making a play for GOAT :eekn: I'm seriously impressed. So happy he was rewarded for his overall skating. He's rightfully first amongst the youngsters :clap:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
For me he is still the only youngster with impressive artistry. :yes:
I have a feeling his time for gold will come soon. :clap:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
... And yet he made headlines with no smiling after results and during victory ceremony. That is some 'accomplishment' :palmf:

I hope he will let that sink in and be proud of the real accomplishment he did. He once again proved incredible mental strenght and ability to re-focus, not crumble under pressure. It was not perfect, but reached its aim nonetheless. Congratulations Shoma for all the emotion and light brought in last two days! And You have the best cheerleader by your side, coach Mihoko is a treasure to keep:love::cheer:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... And yet he made headlines with no smiling after results and during victory ceremony. That is some 'accomplishment' :palmf:

I hope he will let that sink in and be proud of the real accomplishment he did. He once again proved incredible mental strenght and ability to re-focus, not crumble under pressure. It was not perfect, but reached its aim nonetheless. Congratulations Shoma for all the emotion and light brought in last two days! And You have the best cheerleader by your side, coach Mihoko is a treasure to keep:love::cheer:

"I know that the Olympic Games are a special stage for many people and it is special story for them," said Uno, "but I didn't have that attachment. For me it was just one of the competitions I was participating in. I am a bit jealous of the other skaters that have this kind of attachment."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to say I don't feel his skating but that is just me and I find it very sloppy. If you think Alina needs to hold on more to positions Shoma needs to be beaten with a rod - it sometimes look like he is barely holding on to staying vertical on those landings. It seemed rushed or panicky. The three medal programs were wonderful tech fests with okay artistry but only memorable because of the jumps. Sorry Uno and Hanyu fans great medal skates technically but artistically not so.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
"I know that the Olympic Games are a special stage for many people and it is special story for them," said Uno, "but I didn't have that attachment. For me it was just one of the competitions I was participating in. I am a bit jealous of the other skaters that have this kind of attachment."

That's a shame that he didn't get the full Olympic experience. Poor Shoma. But I'm happy for him and his medal because I am a Shoma girl.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
That's a shame that he didn't get the full Olympic experience. Poor Shoma. But I'm happy for him and his medal because I am a Shoma girl.

Cute Shoma interview article with adorable photo in his local Chunichi online (Japanese only). He says he's too busy for love - all his time is taken up with skating and games LOL. He is so business-as-usual it's almost funny. He even said "my silver medal doesn't have the weight (importance) of Mao's, because it was just another competition for me." He doesn't feel anything special about being an Olympic silver medalist and just wants to skate better. "I want to forget about it now and just move on to the next thing."

He is a machine....well done, Shoma! Japan is proud of you!