Chen: "I really just wanted to do it" | Golden Skate

Chen: "I really just wanted to do it"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I really had a good time on the ice," he continued. "I am happy I was able to do that, because it was risky, and it was just hard. I really just wanted to do it, I was so low that there was nothing I could really lose at that point and I just put it out there to see what would happen."

More...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Giving me all the Mao Asado Sochi feels, yet again.

the difference is Nathan just started!:yahoo:

From the interview, Nathan sounded really overall fulfilled. I am glad it ended up like this. He will soon be busy with his new college life and improve his skating according to whatever new rule ISU is gonna pull out next 4 years. And forget about any nagging negativity, if there is any from this OG event.
but it is still a little uncertain whether he will continue for next 4 years for sure though, he said "take it day-by-day"
he did not even mention whether will he go to worlds or not, yet Vincent is very committed to that.

Nathan's fans world wide, are all inspired by you tonight and sincerely wish you can skate for another 4 years.

brightphoton

Medalist
incredible. I didn't think he would be the highest placing American after his short program, but he did it.

I watched his free program on NBC, and then they showed skiing for 1 hour? 2 hours? What a surprise I had when NBC tuned back into skating. Adam just finished skating, and Nathan was still in first! He held onto his 1st place position until the final flight of skaters too. That was a monster score for his free skate.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan, you more than did it. After the short program I said, "I hope Nathan does a "Mao Asada" in the free skate," and that's what he did! I understand he won the free skate, too? :luv17: :hap10:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Much applause for Nathan! :yay:

I'm really happy that he was able to look at the 'bright' (?) side of being so low in the standings and rather than implode again use it to throw down!

I hope he'll continue to skate super well and be able to block out the media (although as I understand the media was actually following him around, which makes it nearly impossible), 'cause he's got the talent!

GGFan

Record Breaker
Nathan is leaving with a team medal and a winning free program. :clap: If expectations had been set right this would be a wonderful result! I'm very proud. Hopefully Nathan can relax at Worlds and deliver two wonderful programs.

What I most want for him is a chance to practice and work on his craft in peace and quiet. Just take your time and grow Nathan. Don't try to please us crazy fans in the U.S. and abroad. :dev2:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Nathan, that was absolutely incredible!! In the free, you beat the likes of Hanyu, Chan, Uno, Fernandez, Jin, Kolyada, and Aliev all at the same time! While it wasn't enough to medal, that was a redemption skate for sure. In fact, it's the highest free skate of the year! and about 5pts off the best ever!

Ballade88

On the Ice
So happy for him! I find it very fitting that he was skating to Mao’s Last Dancer while having a Mao moment in the free skate. :)

Sveta

On the Ice
Yesss, he pulls through! :clapper:
I was really nervous seeing notes from his pre-free training. Well done, this experience will make him stronger!
So talented and young, hope he stays healthy and keeps fighting!

temadd

Final Flight
incredible. I didn't think he would be the highest placing American after his short program, but he did it.

I watched his free program on NBC, and then they showed skiing for 1 hour? 2 hours? What a surprise I had when NBC tuned back into skating. Adam just finished skating, and Nathan was still in first! He held onto his 1st place position until the final flight of skaters too. That was a monster score for his free skate.

Watch it on the NBC sports app. They show ALL the skaters with very few commercials and no Tara and Johnny

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I called it I said fifth and he passed Aliev and chan and all. Good for Nathan and his lines aredecent the program was a jump festbut c'est la vie. But what was it with Zhou and him. They were rather chilly in the "oh please let me stay on the podium seats".

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan's march towards Beijing and winning gold started yesterday with that skate.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Nathan was wonderful- I am so happy he had a skate he could be proud of. I also loved the interview where he Was asked about his decision to add the 6th quad and he was basically like "I already fell so why not?".

LRK

Record Breaker
What an amazing feat, and what I really like about Nathan is his warrior mentality. Very, very impressive!

Sadly the broadcasting of figure skating is bad to put it mildly (seemingly any and every other sport gets precedence - even when it says figure skating in the schedule), we only got the last group, so I missed seeing Nathan's skate. But when my husband pointed out the TES of the leader - 127+, and it really sank in, my jaw dropped. I realised it had to have been Nathan...

Do they give out small medals in the Olympics? Because if so, Nathan did get a small gold medal out of this - which would be well deserved.:)