Will we ever see a 6 quad FS again? | Golden Skate

Will we ever see a 6 quad FS again?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With time and a jump being removed from the FS next year, will we ever see a six quad FS again?

epicdreamer

Rinkside
maybe Nathan will do it again at worlds?

Not sure how the new rule changes will affect it that much for next season. Skaters might just get rid of an easier triple if there is one less jumping pass so keeping all the quads might be easier? Depends on what the rules actually are I guess.

whatif

Medalist
Vincent Zhou, Boyang Jin, Nathan Chen (if he stays) will be duking it out. I would not be shocked if we get to 7 quads by next Olympics

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is possible.

I'd rather see good quality jumps than jumping for the sake of TES, though.

I would as well, but that's not where the sport is going. I'd rather see a complete program with wonderful transitions than a jump, skate to next jump, jump, skate to next jump. It used to be if you didn't have a quad you weren't competitive. Now it's getting to where if you don't have 3 or 4 you aren't competitive. Sure, not everyone can do a quad. But not everyone can do top notch fabulous spins, or have great musicality, or fabulous step sequences. I wish there was more room to reward all of it. Also, I worry about the effects on the skaters bodies from doing all these quads. Will Nathan be in pain for the rest of his life after he retires? I surely hope not.

It's been awhile, so I can't remember 100%, but wasn't Lambiel competitive more because of his spins than anything? I know that's what he's best known for.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Hanyu has talked about working on a 4A. An article in today's Sankei Sports features a professor of kinesics breaking down the 4A, and concludes what we already know: it's gonna be freakin hard to pull off, but it's not impossible.

A 6-quad program will be a piece of cake. The guys just need to get their quad-quad combos together.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
A 6-quad program will be a piece of cake. The guys just need to get their quad-quad combos together.

There's footage of Mura trying a 4T+4T during an exhibition practice. He fell, but it definitely seems doable.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
With time and a jump being removed from the FS next year, will we ever see a six quad FS again?

I think this increases the likelihood, as it is one fewer jumping pass, and a few seconds less choreography, that the skaters need to save energy for.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We have yet to see 6 Quad program, Nathan's 4Flip was too flawed to count.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I would much prefer to watch some one do a fantastic clean quad, then skating around in circles while waving their arms around.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The number if men's skaters that attempted two or more different types of quads in the free went from 3 in Sochi to 11this year. That trend isn't going to abate.