So Which Russian Lady Will Win the Gold? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

So Which Russian Lady Will Win the Gold?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Alina has better toe jumps\combos and slightly better spins. Evgenia has better edge jumps and better StSq and, for me, definitely has the edge on PCS, especially IN/PE. Alina is a delightful skater, but she always looks very tense in the SP and with a very forced smile in the FS. That doesn't take away from her abilities, but as far as interpretation goes, Evgenia's programs are always more heartfelt.

NaVi

Medalist
I've been a big booster of both of Zagitova and Medvedeva(though disappointed with her LP this year)... but much stranger things have happened than Osmond or Kostner beating them for Gold. Olympic pressure can do weird things good or bad. Kostner didn't really skate cleanly before Sochi and she still did well there. Medvedeva can have bobbles from time to time and Zagitova's 3Lz+3Lo is a dangerous jump combination.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I've been a big booster of both of Zagitova and Medvedeva(though disappointed with her LP this year)... but much stranger things have happened than Osmond or Kostner beating them for Gold. Olympic pressure can do weird things good or bad. Kostner didn't really skate cleanly before Sochi and she still did well there. Medvedeva can have bobbles from time to time and Zagitova's 3Lz+3Lo is a dangerous jump combination.

My skepticism about Kostner is that she tends to run out of steam later in the LP. Physically she may not be able to push herself to rotate those jumps. Osmond could land the jumps but, as we saw from Mirai in the team event, any element you aren't getting +2 on puts you another point behind the Russians' TES, and those points add up very quickly.

eriecold

On the Ice
Evgenia for me. I think the lack of balance in Alina's program should be reflected in performance and choreo. Plus she still doesn't have the artistry (though she's getting there).
Yes, we all want Mirai on the podium, and I love Daleman too.
More than all, I hope for a great show and no slap fests or twitter floods with upper body parts that hinder the performance talk.

Manitou

Medalist
The title reminds me of the humanities exam in my school while growing up in the Eastern Block - who was the greatest man in the history and why is it Lenin?
Or the way the media present the news today.. lol
Or the way the social science is doing research today... lol lol

Although in this particular case looking for an answer is actually fun ...

anyanka

Record Breaker
1. Kostner
2. Medvedeva
3. Osmond
4. ???
5. Zagi

We are overdue for a major shock result in figure skating at these games. There's usually one major upset result every games:

- 1998: Tara over Michelle
- 2002: Sarah over Michelle and Irina
- 2006: Shizuka
- 2010: no Russian pair on the podium
- 2014: Adelina (over Yuna, Caro and Yulia)

So I wonder if you've called it correctly and this is the upset / shocker result we have all been waiting for ... ???

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
We are overdue for a major shock result in figure skating at these games. There's usually one major upset result every games:
- 2014: Adelina (over Yuna, Caro and Mao)

That's the only one i would call a major shock

With Shizuka also being pretty surprising

Warwick360

Medalist
As long as it's not Sotskova on the podium, I don't care. Her programs put me to sleep. And her arm over the head, let's not even go there.

Lovely jumps though, excluding the arm.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia for me. I think the lack of balance in Alina's program should be reflected in performance and choreo. Plus she still doesn't have the artistry (though she's getting there).

That is how it should be, but not how it will be. Alina got 158 in the team competition for her unbalanced program and PCS in the 9s. The judges see "artistry" in her program even if some of the rest of us don't. If she skates clean, she will win, sadly.

eriecold

On the Ice
That is how it should be, but not how it will be. Alina got 158 in the team competition for her unbalanced program and PCS in the 9s. The judges see "artistry" in her program even if some of the rest of us don't. If she skates clean, she will win, sadly.

And that won't help her. She stands a chance to last for another cycle if she medals or gets close to the podium. If she wins gold, she's done. (let's face it, she's no Yu-na).

tars

Record Breaker
And that won't help her. She stands a chance to last for another cycle if she medals or gets close to the podium. If she wins gold, she's done. (let's face it, she's no Yu-na).
I'm totally rooting for Alina in this, but I don't think she'll last for long with or without gold medal. Hard times ahead of her imo.