Media Oblivious to Boyang Jin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Media Oblivious to Boyang Jin

True, but they say the same thing about Nathan Chen: He's the guy with the quads.

Not really. They say "he has the quads, but people keep ignoring his artistry". They hype him using the quads, but in every performance they mention just how much he has grown with his artistry, and his ballet background.

And they hyped his artistry this season too. Remember all the articles about his ballet training?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
True, but they say the same thing about Nathan Chen: He's the guy with the quads.

Nathan has a whole propaganda machine in the USFS. You can barely turn around without some new article featuring his ballet teacher or some other person saying how great an artist he is. It's unprecedented; the USFS has never produced such a push for any of their "jumpers" before.

Boyang is still maligned and treated as though he shouldn't have even passed his Preliminary test, let alone be a senior.

...the reality is that boyang jin worked so, so hard to improve his skating. i'm proud of you, tian tian.

"Jin has worked hard to improve (all aspects of) his skating." Maybe Twitter isn't "media," but I think that is how he is presented, when he is mentioned at all.

Obviously U.S. skaters get more play in the U.S. media than skaters from other countries do. How many Americans have heard of Evgenia Medvedeva, compared to how many have heard of Ashley Wagner?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think less intense media hype may help Boyang, but it's true that even in Japan, where figure skating analysis can appear on all main channels, Boyang is left as an afterthought. Usually not featured prominently as a main rival for the top...whereas Shoma and Nathan are regularly featured. I was talking to another fan about this, how Boyang has medalled twice at worlds, and has had numerous other medals but still isn't often mentioned as a favorite to win.
However, other skaters know who has skills and Yuzu always mentions Boyang in his interviews as a leader in the sport, pushing it forward...people in the know respect him. :)

Though, to be more clear, He is not ignored entirely. When lists of top jumpers (which in the minds of the public, means contenders) are aired on TV, Boyang is always there. He just doesn't get many featured specials. Fluff pieces and interviews. That sort of thing.
Of course, Shoma gets lots because he is Japanese, but Nathan also gets quite few as well as Fernandez and previously Patrick Chan and lots for Kevin Reynolds -the proto-quad jumper in the past. I just don't remember seeing many for Boyang.

Boyang is very popular with fans in general though, so maybe in the future he will get more attention. He deserves it.

Last edited:
However, other skaters know who has skills and Yuzu always mentions Boyang in his interviews as a leader in the sport, pushing it forward...people in the know respect him. :)

This is what makes it weird. Aren't he and Shoma regular competitors since their Junior days? Hasn't Yuzu said that he got motivated to try more/new quads because of Boyang? They all seem friendly, too. It's just strange to me.

I do agree that not having the same hype is a good thing since it means less pressure. But not even being mentioned as a competitor? Wouldn't that affect his scores (though I utterly disagree with reputation judging)?

It is just shady to me. I'd really rather not think about fed politics.

Eclair

Medalist
Not the Chinese media...In Chinese media Nathan Chen came out of nowhere.

not true. their commentators were Pang/Tong and they never said Nathan came out of nowhere. They were surprised that he did so bad at the SP.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Why is the media either oblivious or downright rude (NBC comments and Ashley Wagner) towards Boyang?

That tweet of Ashley's was terrible and totally unnecessary. I don't know what she was trying to achieve with it. To show that she is in the know about transitions? To seem like she has the expert opinion?
Boyang has improved and keeps improving. It's not like medals are handed to him for no reason. He works hard for them.

edit: Our Bulgarian Eurosport commentator is usually very positive about Boyang and relates his strengths to the audience. But then he is very enthusiastic about all skaters and always explains why they get the results they do, what they are good at and what to watch for in the performance.

Eclair

Medalist
That tweet of Ashley's was terrible and totally unnecessary. I don't know what she was trying to achieve with it. To show that she is in the know about transitions? To seem like she has the expert opinion?
Boyang has improved and keeps improving. It's not like medals are handed to him for no reason. He works hard for them.
Boyang was crying after his FS and had tears in his eyes during the post competitions interview (after it was decided, that he's in 4th).

Ashley basically tweeted after Boyang's skate: "
Please next skater, shine, because cross-overs don't deserve a medal at the Olympics".

1. the next skater had objectively more cross-overs in his FS than Boyang.

2. She pointed out his lack of TR/ SS before, but this was not honest or keep'n it real. This was mean. It's like people tweeting after her 4th at Nationals: "Next skater, please shine, because you don't deserve a medal."

3. There are so many skaters she could have criticized for having not enough Transition, starting with Vincent, Nathan, Mirai, Adam - just to name a few. She chose the underdog from a small (figure skating) federation who just skated 2 good programs, placed better than any figure skater form his country ever had, then finished off the podium and is already crying, to kick.

4. She pointed out Boyangs lack of TR before and it never bothered me. This bothered me because this was just rude.

5. Somehow it's become acceptable to go from merely pointing out Boyangs shortcomings to outright be mean about it.

6. Boyang visibly works on his TR/SS more than Ashley did. It's not like he he just says he works it and then doesn't.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A part of the problem is access to Chinese skaters by other foreign outlets. The Chinese are extremely protective of their athletes and there is a process that you have to go through. Their "responses" are reviewed/critiqued before even getting back to the journalists. As a result, features, if any, are not very colorful and can come across dry due to all the edits.

Many people would like to "connect" with Jin and others, but you also have to understand the skater and their respective culture. In answer to the question, in many cases, the media just doesn't have enough comments from the skater, coaches, etc to to give him (or others) their due credit ;)

Boyang was crying after his FS and had tears in his eyes during the post competitions interview (after it was decided, that he's in 4th).

Ashley basically tweeted after Boyang's skate: "

1. the next skater had objectively more cross-overs in his FS than Boyang.

2. She pointed out his lack of TR/ SS before, but this was not honest or keep'n it real. This was mean. It's like people tweeting after her 4th at Nationals: "Next skater, please shine, because you don't deserve a medal."

3. There are so many skaters she could have criticized for having not enough Transition, starting with Vincent, Nathan, Mirai, Adam - just to name a few. She chose the underdog from a small (figure skating) federation who just finished off the podium and is already crying to kick.

4. She pointed out Boyangs lack of TR before and it never bothered me. This bothered me because this was just rude.

5. Somehow it's become acceptable to go from merely pointing out Boyangs shortcomings to outright be mean about it.

And she kept tweeting "crossovers" during his performance. I think she isn't even as knowledgeable as she thinks she is. She could pick at Boyang's interpretation of the music and the composition of the program. But apparently all she could tweet about was crossovers, when he doesn't even have as many crossovers as some others did. She couldn't even point out why his transition mark was poor! Everyone does crossovers, and Boyang does comparatively few of them. What's your point? What does she even think transitions are?

She was just vying for soundbites, and is now fending off people who are angry, as she usually has to do because of her nonsense.

A part of the problem is access to Chinese skaters by other foreign outlets. The Chinese are extremely protective of their athletes and there is a process that you have to go through. Their "responses" are reviewed/critiqued before even getting back to the journalists. As a result, features, if any, are not very colorful and can come across dry due to all the edits.

Many people would like to "connect" with Jin and others, but you also have to understand the skater and their respective culture. In answer to the question, in many cases, the media just doesn't have enough comments from the skater, coaches, etc to to give him (or others) their due credit ;)

This was informative! Thanks!

6. Boyang visibly works on his TR/SS more than Ashley did. It's not like he he just says he works it and then doesn't.

Ashley's TR mark will be a 10 from me if she retires and SS will be a 10 if she deactivates all her social media.

Eclair

Medalist

Boyangs streams regularily and answers to fans on those streams, without anyone editing things. Maybe that would be a way? don't ask me how to access those streams though.. but there are quite a few who know..

iorii

On the Ice
"Next skater, please shine, because you don't deserve a medal."

Oh I honestly thought she was talking about herself when she said 'cross-overs don't deserve a medal'... Like we know she does a lot of crossovers and she didn't get a spot at the Olympic, I thought she was ironically talking about herself (am I being too positive?). Was she really talking about other skater? That's not nice.

Oh I honestly thought she was talking about herself when she said 'cross-overs don't deserve a medal'... Like we know she does a lot of crossovers and she didn't get a spot at the Olympic, I thought she was ironically talking about herself (am I being too positive?). Was she really talking about other skater? That's not nice.

:rofl:

But she did get a medal in OWG 2014. Guess it's fine for her to do it, but not for Boyang. And only Boyang, too, not anyone else. Or maybe if she really feels like this strongly, she can turn hers in.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Ashley basically tweeted after Boyang's skate:
"Please next skater, shine, because cross-overs don't deserve a medal at the Olympics".

Now I follow Ashley on Instagram and quite like her, but that's just uncalled for. I mean Boyang did shine! Wasn't she at the event? Didn't she hear the clapping for Boyang in the middle part of his program? That was fabulous!

I mean, some of her comments could be taken as light-hearted, but gee if Boyang actually read that... I mean he might not care, but still.

Anyway it's hardly like he just did crossovers, there was the Quad Lutz! (I love that jump every time I see it!)

I guess it wouldn't make it much better but was Ashely as harsh on other skaters (excepting the US ones?)

Tulipstar

Medalist
British Eurosport talked about how nice it was for 'Patrick Chan' had won the bronze last worlds.

So, even when he medalled there, he wasn't recognized:cry: