Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For posterity, copying here the GOE Guidelines for PFT:

Peggy Fleming Trophy

There are 8 elements in the Artistic program. Each element will receive a “set value” if performed to the minimum requirements. The GOE as described, will be added to the “set” value to determine the technical mark for an element. The 8 listed elements should be used to enhance/highlight a program.

3 jump passes
1-jump with edge take-off with a min. of 2 revolutions (axel, loop, salchow)
1-jump with a toe take-off with a min. of 2 revolutions (toe-loop, flip, lutz)
1-creative jump, combination, or sequence of choice—no min. of revolutions​

3 Spins (min. of 6 rev. for each spin)
1-spin in one position (can fly and change feet)
1-combination spin with min. of one change of foot (can fly)
1-creative spin of choice​

1 Step Sequence (min. 7 difficult turns incorporating rotational direction)
Must demonstrate a variety of turns, steps and moves while fully covering the ice.​

1 “Signature Move”
An iconic skating movement or element executed to one’s individual style, or a new and creative move or element developed by the skater.

Overall: The purpose of elements in this Artistic program is to highlight and enhance the musical composition, while creating special interest in the program. Although there are minimum standards, an element will have a “set value” and will not be increased in value because of rotations or the level of features used in the existing Short Program and Free Skating Programs.

GOE Guidelines

Skaters must achieve the first three bullets in order to be awarded the last 2 bullets.

Jump Elements
+1) aesthetically pleasing
+2) element matches the musical structure
+3) controlled throughout all phases
+4) interesting, unexpected or creative entry and/or, while establishing a good position in the air
+5) meaningfully placed into the composition

Spin Elements
+1) clear and aesthetically pleasing
+2) element matches the musical structure
+3) controlled and balanced through all phases
+4) creative and original
+5) meaningfully placed into the composition

Step Sequence
+1) controlled and well-executed edges, clean steps and turns
+2) element matches and enhances the musical structure
+3) effortless throughout with good energy, flow, and control
+4) creative and original
+5) good control and commitment of the whole body, demonstrating acceleration/deceleration where appropriate

Signature Move
+1) creativity and originality
+2) element enhances the musical structure
+3) effortless throughout with good energy, flow, speed, and control
+4) good ice coverage, clarity, and precision
+5) meaningfully placed into the composition​

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/GOE-Guidelines.docx

(Disappointed by the amount of negativity :( about PFT in the thread about the IFS Magazine article. Trying to steer clear of that discussion.)

We did not get to see protocols for PFT, but the codes below were used for Planned Program Content:

... because this event has a new format, all the elements will have new codes. It is important that you use these new codes. ...

Code Description

EJ Edge jump (Axel, Salchow, or Loop)
TJ Toe Jump (Lutz, Flip, or Toe Loop)
CrJ Creative jump – your choice of a combination, a new jump, or a new variation of an existing jump

Spn Spin in one position
CgCoSp Combination spin with one change of foot
CrSp Creative spin of your choice or making

SM Signature Move
StpSq Step Sequence

You must submit a PPC to compete in the event. It is imperative that we know the order of your elements. ..."

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/PPC-request-ltr-to-competitors.docx

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I hope more artistic comps like this catch on! I keep thinking on how awesome it would be to have a solo ice dance discipline at competitions (lol)... plus, anything that allows men and women to compete against each other in FS is great in my book :pray:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Very belated footnote: PFT competitor Ben Jalovick had posted photos of a memento from the event -- which was a PFT card that was personalized and autographed for him by Peggy Fleming. Plus she posed for a photo with him.
I assume that she did the same for all entries, and I think it is noteworthy that she apparently made a point of giving individual attention to each skater. :cool:

From Ben's Instagram:

Participating in the Peggy Flemming [sic] Trophy and getting to meet and talk with a figure skating legend was such an awesome experience! Excited to do it again next year!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkfX-N8lSwb/ (June 26, 2018)​

Weathergal

Medalist
Very belated footnote: PFT competitor Ben Jalovick had posted photos of a memento from the event -- which was a PFT card that was personalized and autographed for him by Peggy Fleming. Plus she posed for a photo with him.
I assume that she did the same for all entries, and I think it is noteworthy that she apparently made a point of giving individual attention to each skater. :cool:

From Ben's Instagram:

Participating in the Peggy Flemming [sic] Trophy and getting to meet and talk with a figure skating legend was such an awesome experience! Excited to do it again next year!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkfX-N8lSwb/ (June 26, 2018)​

Peggy has always seemed like a true class act. Also I noticed what appears to be her husband in the photo. I believe he's the gentleman with the white hair slightly behind (if I remember correctly from things I've seen about her) and to the right of Peggy. If so, it is nice to see his support!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New language re 2019 PFT jump requirements (emphases not added):

3 Jumps
Quadruple jumps not permitted
1 jump must be an axel-type jump
1 toe jump (min. of 2 revolutions)
1 edge jump (min. of 2 revolutions)
1 jump combination or sequence (unlimited revolutions)

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

For comparison, the 2018 language:
3 Jumps (minimum of two revolutions for each):
1 toe jump
1 edge jump
1 jump pass with a minimum of 2 listed jumps (unlimited revolutions)​

Same for 2019 and 2018:
The eight technical elements will have a fixed base value and will receive GOE marks based on the artistic execution of the element in relationship to the program as a whole.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming Trophy will continue in 2019:

The second annual Peggy Fleming Trophy will be awarded during the 2019 Broadmoor Open on June 28, 2019. The event will be limited to 18 Senior Men & Ladies entries. Both Men and Ladies will compete together in the same event for the Trophy.

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

New language re 2019 PFT jump requirements ...

Is this artistic competition happening again this year?

The answer is Yes, as was indicated in the post (from this month) immediately preceding yours.

(And in another earlier one that is just a few posts back.)

Things that I do not know (as of now):

- Who is on the list of 2019 entries?

AFAIK, no list is available yet. Last year IFS published one on the day of competition, so fingers crossed that it will do so again.

Anecdotally, I know that Camden has said he will compete in 2019 PFT.
Maybe a few other skaters also have said that they will???​

- Will 2019 PFT have a live stream?

I have not heard anything about one.

Last year, PFT did not have a live stream [ETA: for free], so ifffff a stream for 2019 [ETA: for free] does materialize, it would be something new. :pray: