Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I wonder if this will encourage more 3t-3t combos. :think:

I’m not a math person but I’d love to read a comparison scale of a clean (+4 or +5) 3t-3t versus a +1 or +2 3z-3t or 3z-3lo. I’d imagine the ISU explored this heavily and has a complete understanding of how this scales into things before putting forth a proposal.

Shall we conclude the USFSA is behind it or just a willing guinea pig?

Yeah I don't like this, a 3Lz-3Lo is much harder than a 3T-3T and no matter how good the 3T-3T is, it should not score higher than a landed and fully rotated 3Lz-3Lo. That's not sport anymore if the harder combos which are landed and rotated can still score lower than easier ones... YMMV.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah I don't like this, a 3Lz-3Lo is much harder than a 3T-3T and no matter how good the 3T-3T is, it should not score higher than a landed and fully rotated 3Lz-3Lo. That's not sport anymore if the harder combos which are landed and rotated can still score lower than easier ones... YMMV.

Currently, a 3T-3T with perfect GOE is worth 10.70 and a 3lz-3Lo not in the bonus with neutral GOE is 11.10. So if the 3lz-3Lo is landed and rotated, but with say a step-out or hand down, it could be worth less. I think that's reasonable.

And also, didn't they say something about scaling the GOE to % of base value? A 3T-3T +4-5 shouldn't beat a 3lz-3Lo +2-3, but 3lz-3Lo -1-0? That sounds okay. Not that different than now.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Oh if they scale the GOE to the BV, it sounds a lot better. But intrinsically, there's still the problem that good height or good flow out of the combo might be different depending on the combo -- good height on a -3Lo jump is different than good height on a -3T jump and flow is obviously a lot better on a 3T than a 3Lo ending a combo. does anyone know if that's being addressed or not?

mrrice

Record Breaker
So, this will be part of the existing event, right? It's not a new event? I would guess it's open to international skaters as some of them train here in the US. Is that correct? Is their a list of participating skaters?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So, this will be part of the existing event, right? ...

Peggy Fleming Trophy is part of Broadmoor Open.

... It's not a new event? ...

Peggy Fleming Trophy is new.

Broadmoor Open is an existing event.

... I would guess it's open to international skaters as ... some of them train here in the US. Is that correct? ...

My two cents:

I have explained above why it would be a surprise to me if Peggy Fleming Trophy were open to international skaters.

A pleasant surprise, but a surprise.​

...Is their a list of participating skaters?

A list of participating skaters has not been released.

(The entry deadline is not until Fri Apr 27.)

My two cents:

Even after Apr 27, I myself will not be holding my breath for an entry list to be released sooner rather than later.
It could be many weeks before a list is released. The date of Peggy Fleming Trophy is not until Jun 22.

If/if/if it turns out that a list (partial or complete) is released soon after Apr 27, then I will be happy to take it as a pleasant surprise.​

livetoskate

On the Ice
What are some hotels near the rink? The Broadmoor resort is all booked on June 21 and the rooms would have been about $500 and up for a night. This could be worth a flight to Colorado Springs!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What are some hotels near the rink? The Broadmoor resort is all booked on June 21 and the rooms would have been about $500 and up for a night. This could be worth a flight to Colorado Springs!

Search for "World Arena" as the area you want it will give you hotels walking distance. There is a LaQuinta, a Residence Inn, a Hampton Inn, a Fairfield Inn and a DoubleTree all walking distance. My better half and I stayed at the DoubleTree and we were happy enough with it. It was actually a pleasant walk to the rink as there is water along the walk. As long as you don't mine walking over one curb it is only about a 1 mile walk.

Also you might want to check out http://www.cheyennemountain.com/

It is about three miles from World Arena (no idea on shuttle or public transit sorry) so not too far if you don't mind driving a short distance this is a good option. I have stayed there with my parents. It is pretty big and lovely and also spread out so it is very quiet, or at least that is my recollection.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Maybe Patrick Chan? He wouldn't have to do any quads or his nemesis the triple axel! Patrick could easily glide away with this trophy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

FYI: The 4th Annual Aerial Challenge will take place on Sat Jun 23 -- in other words, the day after the Inaugural Peggy Fleming Trophy on Jun 22.

Mentioning in this thread in case you (or anyone else) would be interested in attending both.

Aerial Challenge information has been added to the Broadmoor website.
Registration deadline is May 21.
(BTW, no team event for Aerial Challenge this year. It reverts to being a one-day comp.)

AFAIK, theoretically would be possible for a skater to compete in both Peggy Fleming Trophy and Aerial Challenge.
We will not find out any time soon, but I wonder whether anyone will enter both. :popcorn:

ETA (on May 31):

As of May 29, Peggy Fleming Trophy is scheduled for 5:45 - 9:00 pm on Fri Jun 22.

And Aerial Challenge (which has a new streamlined format this year) is scheduled for 12:15 - 1:45 pm on Sat Jun 23.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(Re-post of Jun 13 post lost in GS server migration)

New blurb:

PFT is a brand new competitive event created by Peggy Fleming. Skaters are encouraged to present a complete composition while demonstrating technical skills. These elements are the accents of the program, not the driving force. The event is being developed as a potential new Olympic event in figure skating. Open to public free of charge

https://www.facebook.com/events/182050082510620/ (Jun 13)​

Potential new Olympic event? :popcorn:

In anticipation of possible queries: I have not yet seen a published entry list, and not for lack of keeping my eyes open.

If anyone does have the entry list and is at liberty to share it, we're all ears. :) Thanks.

ETA (on Jun 16):

Just noticed that the event page now says, "The event will be limited to 28 Senior and Junior Men & Ladies entries."
At the time of the OP in Feb, the limit was only 16.
I do not know when the limit was changed, but the increase suggests that interest from skaters has been higher than expected. :cool:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the update. I have no idea if competitions like these have Olympic potential, but I know I'd definitely want to see one like that. They might even become highly attended if they become a venue for artistic skaters who cannot jump as much as they used to due to age or injuries. Eagerly awaiting further updates.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peggy Fleming Trophy Event
June 22, 2018
“A Special Artistic Event for Juniors and Seniors”
Cash Prizes & a Special Critique from Peggy Fleming

I'm very happy to see this special focus on artistry, in a competition and not "just" show skating. I think it's appropriate and a wonderful addition to Peggy Fleming's legacy, a real, concrete motivation for attention to the nuances, emotion and finesse of figure skating. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

My only question is whether it's early in the season for such a competition, since the skaters who skated in shows won't have had much training time as yet.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Timothy Dolensky is competing in Peggy Fleming Trophy.

Camden Pulkinen too, per HeatherC's post on FSU.

Tim and Camden both were on my wish list for PFT. :hap36: :popcorn:

(Tim also is competing both of his programs at Broadmoor Open. Understandably is not doing Aerial Challenge.

Camden: both programs + PFT + Aerial Challenge.)

Good luck to both men with everything.

ETA:

Only wishful thinking, but Emily Chan just posted a scenic selfie from Colorado, and she too has been on my wish list for PFT. Fingers still crossed that she will be one of the competitors against Tim and Camden.​

ETA:

USFS Instagram story/IGTV has a mini-video of a photo shoot with Peggy Fleming and the trophy. :cool:

macy

Record Breaker
(Re-post of Jun 13 post lost in GS server migration)

New blurb:

PFT is a brand new competitive event created by Peggy Fleming. Skaters are encouraged to present a complete composition while demonstrating technical skills. These elements are the accents of the program, not the driving force. The event is being developed as a potential new Olympic event in figure skating. Open to public free of charge

https://www.facebook.com/events/182050082510620/ (Jun 13)​

Potential new Olympic event? :popcorn:

In anticipation of possible queries: I have not yet seen a published entry list, and not for lack of keeping my eyes open.

If anyone does have the entry list and is at liberty to share it, we're all ears. :) Thanks.

ETA (on Jun 16):

Just noticed that the event page now says, "The event will be limited to 28 Senior and Junior Men & Ladies entries."
At the time of the OP in Feb, the limit was only 16.
I do not know when the limit was changed, but the increase suggests that interest from skaters has been higher than expected. :cool:

wow this is REALLY exciting! i did quite a few artistic competitions myself back in my day and they were SO much fun. you really get the ability to just let go and perform without the pressure of the scoring of technical elements. it would be very interesting to see at the olympics if it happens. it crossed my mind that maybe it would increase viewers because it may be reminiscent of the 6.0 days in some ways without all the focus on the jumps.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming Trophy START ORDER with individual start times for each skater:

Thanks to IFS Magazine :bow: for posting.

28 ladies and men divided into five warm-up groups.

Among others: Emily Chan, Jordan Moeller, Torgashev … and as previously mentioned, Pulkinen and Dolensky.

Interesting that at least a couple of female pair skaters are competing as individuals: Nica Digerness and Meiryla Findley.

From the Facebook post:

… IFS intern Brooklee Han will be reporting from Colorado Springs this weekend. As a non-U.S. skater, Brooklee is not eligible to compete in this competition but she will be performing the program she prepared for this event on Saturday morning. ...

So we finally have confirmation that non-U.S. skaters are not eligible for PFT.

But … great that Brooklee once again will be putting on her journalist hat :bow: and will be reporting.

I have started a competition thread for PFT:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, mixing the ladies and men together, how interesting?

And Andrew T. in the artistic program:clap: :hap57: not to mention Jordan.

And the line up looks like a 7K practice session: not just Jordan, Ben J. and Courtney, but, if I’m not mistaken, Kiki K., Sonja Hilmer and Julia Fennell? Plus Thomas Schwappach sure hangs there a lot if he’s not training there ;)

Excited to see Andrew, Jordan, Tim and Camden’s programs:clapper:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And our own @Tavi is at the event and giving updates in the GS “competitions and events” section, check it out!

:bow:

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
A couple more ladies include Livvy Shilling, Courtney Hicks, and Hanna Harrell