Stinky skates | Golden Skate

Stinky skates

cl2

Final Flight
Would like to know your tips/tricks/hacks on reducing odors in skates.

On the bright side, you know you're working hard when your skates start to stink. ;)

loopy

Final Flight
Since switching to the Transpack from the zuca, skates don't smell bad. My daughter always forgot to take them out of the bag but with the mesh sides she no longer needs to take them out.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Would like to know your tips/tricks/hacks on reducing odors in skates.

On the bright side, you know you're working hard when your skates start to stink. ;)

Never skate barefoot. Always skate in at least a tight/stocking/thin pair of breathable socks.

Do not leave them in your bag for long periods of time. I always have mine out with the laces very loose and the tongue pulled out to let them air out, sometimes even turn them upside down to dry (after the blade and sole is dry, that is).

I've been known to sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside mine to neutralize and cut down on moisture inside of them after I skated.

You can also look into something like this: https://shoprainbo.com/boys-men/ska.../deoderizor-cinnamon-stinkeez-boot-skate.html

SmallAminal

On the Ice
You could try Stinkeez (you put them in your boots in between skates) or other odor absorbing products made for sneakers, etc. I also have a special odor control spray that we use - I think its from Tana but I'll have to check and get back to you on that. Its supposed to be for any athletic shoes but we also use it in my kid's stinky winter boots.

This doesn't eliminate things entirely, but basically the skates stay out of the bag once we get home and they are never stored in the bag. They are fully unlaced and opened up for maximum airflow. We are lucky in that the skates don't have to spend a lot of time actually in the bag.

When my skater is on the ice for longer sessions, sometimes we change socks in the middle, which might help with the stinky part too. I also try to enforce good foot hygeine - my skater tends to have stinky feet generally so careful washing and some tea tree oil help keep some of the stinky at bay, especially in the summer. I have personally not found the foot powders do much to reduce odor and/or wetness that much and I've never liked the idea of shaking that stuff into your skates anyway.

cl2

Final Flight
Never skate barefoot. Always skate in at least a tight/stocking/thin pair of breathable socks.

Do not leave them in your bag for long periods of time. I always have mine out with the laces very loose and the tongue pulled out to let them air out, sometimes even turn them upside down to dry (after the blade and sole is dry, that is).

I've been known to sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside mine to neutralize and cut down on moisture inside of them after I skated.

You can also look into something like this: https://shoprainbo.com/boys-men/ska.../deoderizor-cinnamon-stinkeez-boot-skate.html

You probably hit on one big reason for my stinky skates. I leave my skates in my locker at the rink. Of course, I've dried them off and pulled the tongue out, etc., but they do they end up sitting in an enclosed space the entire time in between each skating session.

I never skate barefoot, I wear skating tights and Mondor knee highs. The thing is, nylon is actually not breathable. I also recently started using bunga ankle sleeves which get sweaty, but I rub those down with hand sanitizer every once in a while.

I'll try your baking soda idea---I'll start with the least expensive solutions first. Some questions: do you apply the baking soda in powdered form directly to the interior surface of the boot? Do you do it before or after skating? Does it "get everywhere", or leave residues?

For the Stinkeez, how long do they last before you have to change them?

Many thanks.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You probably hit on one big reason for my stinky skates. I leave my skates in my locker at the rink. Of course, I've dried them off and pulled the tongue out, etc., but they do they end up sitting in an enclosed space the entire time in between each skating session.

I never skate barefoot, I wear skating tights and Mondor knee highs. The thing is, nylon is actually not breathable. I also recently started using bunga ankle sleeves which get sweaty, but I rub those down with hand sanitizer every once in a while.

I'll try your baking soda idea---I'll start with the least expensive solutions first. Some questions: do you apply the baking soda in powdered form directly to the interior surface of the boot? Do you do it before or after skating? Does it "get everywhere", or leave residues?

For the Stinkeez, how long do they last before you have to change them?

Many thanks.

First of all, I wasn't referring to nylons which are not breathable, I was referring to specialized skating tights.
DO NOT leave your skates in an enclosed space like a locker, car trunk, or even a skating bag. They will stink to high creation and it will ruin them!
It's not a good idea to be rubbing down your bungas with hand sanitizer (that will break them down). You are actually able to wash them with mild soap and warm water and allow them to air dry.

As far as the baking soda, I sprinkle it in after every session when I know my skates are not going to be used say overnight or for a day or so. I am careful so it doesn't get all over the place and it actually ends up staying there and soaking in some and the stuff that doesn't is okay to put your foot in over which actually pushes it into your foot bed more while you skate (and helps with foot sweat). If you don't like the idea of sprinkling it in then, you could take an old sock or nylon and put some baking soda in it and then tie it off and let it just sit in your boots like one of the stinkeez would. (I have done both).

I can't tell you much about the stinkeez b/c I don't personally use them but know skaters that do.

Girlbird

On the Ice
First of all, I wasn't referring to nylons which are not breathable, I was referring to specialized skating tights.

Mondor knee-highs ARE specialized skating tights. Specialized skating tights aren't any more breathable than specialized dance tights or other tights made out of nylon/lycra/spandex. Feet are bound to stink.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
We use a skate sock called Thinnees - I believed they are intended to help with wicking sweat away, but nothing will every keep your feet 100 percent dry.

I have the same problem with my gel socks making things really sweaty - not too much you can do about that, I'm afraid, but just try to clean things as Ic3Rabbit suggests and/or air out completely.

Stinkeez are supposed to work for about a year. If you want to save a little on them, you can go straight to the manufacturer's website and order a mismatched/discontinued/imperfect pair at a discount. They are both drying AND deodorizing. I am not sure if they have enough dessicant to fully cancel out the fact that you are leaving your skates in an enclosed area, but it would be an improvement.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Mondor knee-highs ARE specialized skating tights. Specialized skating tights aren't any more breathable than specialized dance tights or other tights made out of nylon/lycra/spandex. Feet are bound to stink.

I know well enough what knee highs are and mondor quite well. I also know what wicks as far as tights and so on in my years in figure skating at the elite levels and now pro. So, please relax.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
The spray I mentioned above is indeed a Tana spray - it is the "shoe refresher", sport version. It is an upside down aerosol spray that you depress in your boots/shoes to deodorize. It works pretty well especially on my kid's deathly smelling winter boots.

I have never tried this, but I do see some people using hair dryers on the COOL SHOT setting (room temperature) to get some airflow moving right after skating. Not sure how effective it is, but you could try that as well.

I think Ic3Rabbit's idea of a homemade deodorizer using baking soda and an old sock/nylon could be a cheap solution. You could also try getting dessicant packs (like the kind that come inside the packaging of various products) in your locker or buying one of those large margarine tub looking deodorizing/dessicant products meant for winter closet storage. You could probably find that at a Wal Mart or Home Depot type place.

However, the stinky is ultimately caused by bacteria - they thrive in a moist environment but if your feet are moist and stinky before you wear your skates (and I'm not saying they are), then its not going to help.

cl2

Final Flight
I know well enough what knee highs are and mondor quite well. I also know what wicks as far as tights and so on in my years in figure skating at the elite levels and now pro. So, please relax.

OK, now I'm confused. Are Mondor knee highs "specialized skating tights" or not? They are 85% nylon 15% lycra, and I'm under the impression that they are specialized for skating. Yet you seem to imply that specialized skating tights are not made of nylon, which means that Mondor knee highs are not specialized skating tights? :scratch2:

Otherwise, what specialized skating tights do you wear?

VegMom

On the Ice
One trick I heard about is to put those silica gel packets (that they have in lots of shipping boxes or new items that say “do not eat” on them) and use those in your skates when you’re not wearing them. They pull moisture from the air to help keep your skates dry and thus reduce the chances for smelly bacteria to grow.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OK, now I'm confused. Are Mondor knee highs "specialized skating tights" or not? They are 85% nylon 15% lycra, and I'm under the impression that they are specialized for skating. Yet you seem to imply that specialized skating tights are not made of nylon, which means that Mondor knee highs are not specialized skating tights? :scratch2:

Otherwise, what specialized skating tights do you wear?

First of all, I never said that nylons and mondor or any other brand of tights are the same thing. There are many people that don't know any better and just go buy nylons at the local Target and have at it and then wonder why they are having foot issues. The lycra added in Mondor tights helps alot but I hardly ever wear footed tights and if I have to wear them for something it isn't long. I usually wear non footed or over the boot tights and then I wear my skate socks with my bungas.

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
I can't wear stockings because they trigger circulation issues, so I have always skated barefoot. My skates don't stink, so here are some things I do:

* When I get home, I spray the inside of my skates with a mix of vodka and white vinegar. This kills bacteria, neutralizes odor, is safe on the skin, and safe for the materials. I don't douse them, but just enough where I see the sweaty parts.

* I let my skates air out. Some folks use an electric boot dryer but I am paranoid that any heat from those things might mess up the heat molding of my skate.

* When they have dried, I place a sachet filled with activated charcoal in each boot until the next time I skate.

* Before I skate, I always wash my feet or use a baby wipe if that's not available to me.

Additionally, I wash my insoles once a month. Throw them in the sink with warm water, a little bit of detergent, and Borax, then gently scrub them clean. Let them air dry. I have 4 pairs of insoles and swap them out on a quarterly-ish basis.

Lots of good info about cleaning hockey and activewear here that is applicable to skating:

https://deadspin.com/your-hockey-gear-is-foul-clean-it-or-else-1464457604
https://jezebel.com/what-to-do-when-your-gym-clothes-reek-1141402734

gkelly

Record Breaker
My nephew won a science fair award for inventing a product he calls Smell Squares to remove smells from his soccer equipment: pouches made out of dryer sheets with kitty litter inside.

I haven't had a chance yet to try them in my skates, but my sister says they do work.

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
My nephew won a science fair award for inventing a product he calls Smell Squares to remove smells from his soccer equipment: pouches made out of dryer sheets with kitty litter inside.

I haven't had a chance yet to try them in my skates, but my sister says they do work.

That's incredible! I suppose the cat litter functions in the same way as activated charcoal does.

- - - Updated - - -

One trick I heard about is to put those silica gel packets (that they have in lots of shipping boxes or new items that say “do not eat” on them) and use those in your skates when you’re not wearing them. They pull moisture from the air to help keep your skates dry and thus reduce the chances for smelly bacteria to grow.

That's a good idea but I would be really careful with silica, as it is toxic. Should the packet break, it could be quite dangerous.

cl2

Final Flight
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Some of them seem quite easy to fit into my routine and won't break the bank. Will report back with hopefully some better smelling updates.

Schpanky

Rinkside
I've tried just about every method, but at the end of the day the only thing that I've ever found that ACTUALLY worked was this...
https://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Fog...8&qid=1520061265&sr=8-1&keywords=fresh+fogger
And, this...
https://www.amazon.com/LiveFine-Boo...ID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=boot+dryer&psc=1

I dry my boots EVERY TIME after I wear them. I spray them about once a week. It's some sort of acetone type spray, and it's the only thing that really works. My boots don't smell anymore!!! Even my old ones!!! Yay!:biggrin:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've tried just about every method, but at the end of the day the only thing that I've ever found that ACTUALLY worked was this...
https://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Fog...8&qid=1520061265&sr=8-1&keywords=fresh+fogger
And, this...
https://www.amazon.com/LiveFine-Boo...ID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=boot+dryer&psc=1

I dry my boots EVERY TIME after I wear them. I spray them about once a week. It's some sort of acetone type spray, and it's the only thing that really works. My boots don't smell anymore!!! Even my old ones!!! Yay!:biggrin:
<<Emphasis added.>> Various posts on the Amazon reviews indicate that it's an acetone-based spray. If so, I would shy away from it. Acetone is a VOC (volatile organic compound) solvent, commonly found, e.g., in nail polish remover, model-airplane glue, paint thinner, and industrial cleaners. It is highly flammable, and attacks leather, many plastics, and many finishes (e.g., dyes, paints, and waxes). I also wouldn't want to breathe in vaporized acetone.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
<<Emphasis added.>> Various posts on the Amazon reviews indicate that it's an acetone-based spray. If so, I would shy away from it. Acetone is a VOC (volatile organic compound) solvent, commonly found, e.g., in nail polish remover, model-airplane glue, paint thinner, and industrial cleaners. It is highly flammable, and attacks leather, many plastics, and many finishes (e.g., dyes, paints, and waxes). I also wouldn't want to breathe in vaporized acetone.

^^Precisely. This is so bad for your boots and your health. :eeking: