2018 Olympic Figure Skating Free Dance | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Free Dance

eriecold

On the Ice
pplease , find ut what word :beat: means// French had problems with the costume,so using beat is NO good in such context.. canadians wouldnt beat them in million years if not that.

Canadians beat them last year at every single competition. Actually, only in the GPF did G/G beat V/M.
We all knew it could go either way and they were evenly matched in overall performance. The best overall team won, and that one, in this competition, was V/M

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No they didnt beat them. Look at the scores of the fd, thats not beating- they won only because of the sd. They won overall, p/c beat them in the free

With that logic, Nathan Chen won the men's because he won the Free Skate! :laugh:

Hanyu won and Fernandez medalled only because of the SP. :sarcasm:

Justynka12

Match Penalty
This comment is unfair and offensive.

Isnt it?

What a courage to think PC should win with that SD? What a courage to think they can beat VM, one of the most decorated pairs ever, with more than 1.77 points in the free dance?

And they blame people to post such post as mine, disgusting

EpperlyA

Spectator
Does anyone have any idea what Virtue and Moir’s coach was whispering to Scott right before they received their scores in the k&c?

She covered her mouth while whispering something to him and he replied “oops” and then appeared to mouth the words “oh well” and then she continued to say something about it and he said “oh well” again...

Just curious if there was some issue or mistake we didn’t see that she could have been commenting on?

EpperlyA

Spectator
Does anyone have any idea what Virtue and Moir’s coach was whispering to Scott right before they received their scores in the k&c?

She covered her mouth while whispering something to him and he replied “oops” and then appeared to mouth the words “oh well” and then she continued to say something about it and he said “oh well” again...

Just curious if there was some issue or mistake we didn’t see that she could have been commenting on?

AliAle

On the Ice
Justynka12, for all the good it does, please stop feeding this pointless discussion. I know you're upset, I am as well, but P/C deserve better than this discussion that will degenerate into insults that neither V/M or P/C deserve.
Virtual lollipop for whoever stops first.

bluwaters

Spectator
Thank you mods!

As a casual observer I enjoy this forum to learn about FS and ID from those who are involved and study it.

Hats off to ALL the Olympians who have skated so beautifully in Pyeongchang whether they won any medals at all. :love:

Thanks to the posters here who inform and share their knowledge of this beautiful sport. :agree:

eriecold

On the Ice
It's the type of program. There's a reason why the ending was changed from 'dying in arms' to 'victorious arms'. Even though I much prefer the death ending (sue me! :p), they are smart to alter the program for the Olympic audience. It would be kinda awkward to roar loudly to the scene of a lady collapsing and dying in her lover's arms.

she dies in both

slider11

Medalist
I think in two years Soucisse and Firus will be coming for them. They won’t let one team dominate an entire quad.

I agree that Soucisee and Firus are a team on the move. I also like Hawayek and Baker. And that early German team - Lorenz and ? ....I'll remember after Worlds.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Sorry, but I find your description of why P/C are better artists with their program rather pretentious. You are of course entitled to your opinion, and, yes, it's a beautiful program, but Moonlight Sonata is a deeper piece of music to start with. C'mon, it's Beethoven vs Moulin Rouge music whicg is quite awful in comparison. It's very hard to bring depth to something like Moulin Rouge ... you are saying it's not deep enough and too literal, but I really don't understand how you expect to see depth from a theatrical program. I think it's a testament to V/M actually that they took this awful piece of music and perform the hell out of it and made me watch them despite it.

You can find my reading pretentious, I accept that. But I reject Moonlight Sonata as a deep song. Part of the romantic musical movement was jettisoning all that deep formal structure and going right for the emotion. I don’t see Moonlight Sonata as deeper than most later Beatles songs, for example. But I don’t think it being theatrical has anything to do with my problems with V/M. I won’t choreograph a program for V/M obviously but imagine instead if I ask Tessa to emphasis line and shape in a way reminiscent to the classicism of Cunningham, but also extend her bodily motions to extraordinary positions like the exaggerated expressionism of Nazimova in the silent film Salome? Then it moves her body to a precarious place where her motions are about balance, falling and regaining composure, and scissioned bodily positions. This would allow us to see both women’s position as spectacles for men and as subjects of violence. This would also be much more difficult to perform athletically, so this isn't just an aesthetic feat.

And for the record - I've never question V/M's ability as showman ! I don't think anyone would question that lol.

charlotte14

Medalist
You can find my reading pretentious, I accept that. But I reject Moonlight Sonata as a deep song. Part of the romantic musical movement was jettisoning all that deep formal structure and going right for the emotion. I don’t see Moonlight Sonata as deeper than most later Beatles songs, for example. But I don’t think it being theatrical has anything to do with my problems with V/M. I won’t choreograph a program for V/M obviously but imagine instead if I ask Tessa to emphasis line and shape in a way reminiscent to the classicism of Cunningham, but also extend her bodily motions to extraordinary positions like the exaggerated expressionism of the Nazimova in the silent film Salome? Then it moves her body to a precarious place where her motions are about balance, falling and regaining composure, and scissioned bodily positions. This would allow us to see both women’s position as spectacles for men and as subjects of violence. This would also be much more difficult to perform athletically, so this isn't just an aesthetic feat.

And for the record - I've never question V/M's ability as showman ! I don't think anyone would question that lol.

Isn't skating a bit theatrical? I think Moonlight is great but there is a reason theatrical music are often warhorse for skating program because they work well. It elevates the audience's mood. I find V/M's strength very obvious and they play to it. They're threatrical, dymanic and dramatic. They chose what is best for them.

P/C are more classical, ethereal and they choose music that make them stand out. Hence their SD is weak IMO. That kind of music does not suit their style.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Moulin Rouge music is amazing and can be performed with an equal amount of depth as Moonlight Sonata. Love, jealousy, heartbreak, freedom, tragic death, using art to defy an oppressor -- these are all topics of depth, thank you very much.

charlotte14

Medalist
Moulin Rouge music is amazing and can be performed with an equal amount of depth as Moonlight Sonata. Love, jealousy, heartbreak, freedom, tragic death, using art to defy an oppressor -- these are all topics of depth, thank you very much.
They're different and were composed with different purposes, feelings, themes. I'd say in skating we make use of all. I don't see any issue that V/M FD is much weaker compared to P/C just because Moonlight is a masterpiece in classical music. It is not like the choreography has anything to do with the real theme of Moonlight (and it was not even about Moonlight in the first place).

waterblades

On the Ice
So at work today Ice Dancing was the hot topic men and women. None of those watch regularly but tuned in for Scott and Tessa. All heard was postives. Loved how the CBC let us see Cassie win her gold in Halifax pipe, then immediately showed piper and Paul's James Bond on tape delay. Everyone loved James Bond exspecailly the lifts. They were sad for Chock and Bates. They also loved all the skates but they didn't get the Russians skate. Noticed a huge difference between g/p and v/m vs the rest of th field. Agreed it could have gone either way but of course happy that' v/m won as we are Canadian. Most didn't understand the controversy with the lift. Also a few comments on how amazing the shibs twizzles were. Once every four year fans are great too! Most watched the team skate too but had no idea how great the French team is. Also loved that the CBC did interview Cassie durning the skate less commercials for us and gave her her well deserved moment. Personally I was thrilled that the stayed for the tiger ceremony and interview. Plus the montage CBC knows there audience as about half stayed up until midnight.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if without the costume malfunction if P/C will still be able to win. The difference is 0.8 points. It seemed that even with the costume malfunction, they were marked generously to make their scores closer to V/M. Without the costume malfunction, I don't think P/C would score that much higher than last night b/c the judges wouldn't feel that they have to be generous with the marks to make their scores close to V/M. That's my rationale for making me feel better that P/C lost to V/M. I was hoping that P/C would win and who knows what would happen in the next four years. Other teams may catch up to them or injuries may make them unable to compete in the next Olympics, etc..

Boo69, thanks for posting that information. Dance is probably the least of my favorites of figure skating and knowledge about it so your explanation helps me to understand P/C and the what ifs. P/C are as I've said before "Magnificence in Motion!! Davis/White and now P/C give me such goose bumps when they are skating and then I feel sad when their dance is over because I want more. Not many have made me feel that way so of course I wanted P/C to win.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about we discuss couples we "discovered" during the competition.

I liked the pair from Poland. They skated to something that sounded bouncy and ballroom-y, but it wasn't standard ballroom music.

In a competition that was heavily tilted towards lyrical programs, it stood out.

I'm sure the technical experts would point out that they have things to work on - they were not at the top of the heap, to be sure - but I liked them very much.