Sasha Cohen - Robin Wagner Breakup? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen - Robin Wagner Breakup?

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I don't know where the idea that Tarasova is all about hugs and kisses with her skaters comes from. Off-ice, yes. But as a coach, she is very tough and she has always been. In 2001, Yagudin (who she adores) fell in his SP at the GoodWill Games and it was an awful fall, he smacked his head against the boards and he went on to have a disastrous program. Everyone was shocked with the fall and how he could have gotten injured, Tarasova was sitting in the K&C with him and she didn't even look at him. She is never satisfied with what her students do and always tries to push them harder. When Yagudin changed coaches to her, Ilia Kulik told him "you will die" LOL If this doesn't tell a lot, I don't know what does...

She has her methods and skaters already know what they're going to when they choose to be coached by her. Those methods have paid off, Tarasova has coached World Champions in all 4 disciplines and Olympic Champions in Pairs, Dance and Men.

At any rate, here's a novelty for you: if her style and her student's collide, it might not mean one of them is doing something wrong - just that the partnership is not meant to be.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I did not say that TT did not modify her teaching if her students did not compete well, I mean she does not need to show her disappointment at K&C.

I said that I did not pay much attention how TT and Arakawa related to each other at K&C and don't know their relationship.

I still think people's body language tells thing clearly. As long as you have minimum common sense you know how two people's relationshipby oberserving. At 2003 Skate Canada and Cheese fest, Sasha and TT sat at K&C, they looked like two strangers sat there. Few weeks later Sasha left TT.

TT is good at coaching dance, choreography, and artistic expression. But I doubt her ability as freestyle technical coach. Sasha's jumping technique was more textbook right when she was with John Nicks...Yagudin and Kulik had their jumps settled in for many years before they switched to TT.

registered

On the Ice
gezando said:
I
didn't she said, " I have fun, real fun oh so much fun, fun and more fun since switching to Robin"

Actually, no, I don't believe she ever said that. Where did you get this quote from?

Have she ever wrote anything to reflect on her interactions with a coach in the "kiss and cry" area? I don't think so.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
jesslily said:
I did not say that TT did not modify her teaching if her students did not compete well, I mean she does not need to show her disappointment at K&C.
I would say that is up to her and her student, wouldn't you agree? The relationship is between them, they choose how to deal with that kind of stuff. I don't think we know what is better or worse for them, or what is right or wrong. If something doesn't work, they have the option to part. And coaches and students do part all the time in skating.

jesslily

Final Flight
In my earlier post I already express my opinion about news or rumor that Sasha and RW broke up. If they don't enjoy the hours at rink together and break the partnership, it's perfect OK. Nobody should only find things wrong from Sasha.
My point is not on TT is right or wrong when she showed her disappointment at K&C, it's when you see she and her skater looked like two strangers there, probably soon after the skater would find a new coach. I have watched many Yagudin's competitions, some of them he did not do well, but I don't remember TT was ever upset with him.

S

SkateFan4Life

euterpe said:
It's a fact that each person has his/her own personal 'space' the borders of which differ often due to cultural differences.

Sasha is most likely a person whose personal space extends outward quite a bit. That means she doesn't feel comfortable when other people, particularly those with whom she doesn't have (or doesn't want to have) a close relationship, intrude too far into her personal space.

Robin is a touchy-feely type person, and if that makes Sasha uncomfortable, it might explain why Sasha went to outside choreographers and then wanted to train by herself for a month. But it also doesn't bode well for the relationship to continue.

I agree that if Sasha no longer wants Robin as a coach, she'd be best served to find another coach ASAP, or her Olympic season will be in jeopardy.

Good points, concerning Sasha Cohen's "personal space" situation. Most definitely, if she is a person who doesn't feel comfortable fostering a close, personal relationship with her coach, and if Robin Wagner is a "touchy, feely" type, then they simply won't be compatible - at least not to Sasha's satisfaction. If Sasha feels the necessity to switch coaches, then I certainly agree that it would be in her best interest to take care of business ASAP so that she and her new coach/coaches can develop a good working relationship that will be mutually satisfactory and will carry them through the 2006 Olympic season.

Whatever she decides to do, I wish Sasha the best. I also wish Robin the best, as she has proved herself to be an excellent skating coach.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I won't believe anything 'till I see it.

I think at this point, Cohen is still trying to find a good coaching fit for her. If RW isn't it (and she hopes to contend) then she's gotta switch coaches NOW, for the reasons that other posters gave.

Re. "personal space"- I am actually one of those people who has a big "personal space"...I'm hardly a touchy-feely person, and closeness, especially w/people I'm not familiar with, makes me very uncomfortable. I don't know if we as viewers can tell whether SC is like that just from a couple of coach encounters. I think that's almost like jumping to conclusions.

Didn't RW and Hughes have a close relationship? SC and SH seem to be hardly like each other so I can understand if a comforting hug from RW that comforted Sarah doesn't work for SC. It may stem from her being so disappointed that not even a hug will "ease the pain".

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Even if Sasha were to win Nationals, Worlds, and/or Olympics, I just don't see her jumping up and down with joy--just doesn't seem to be her personality. It's definitely Robin's, however, as we saw with Sarah. But, you never know until it actually happens, I suppose.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I personally can't believe the number of posts we've all contributed to what is still an internet rumor! :biggrin:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I think that the relationship between Sasha Cohen and Robin Wagner, is a strong one. In fact Robin has done some great things to Sasha like having her express herself more on the ice. Sasha Cohen is a magnificent skater with alot of talent. I really think that she will stay with Robin.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
Good points, concerning Sasha Cohen's "personal space" situation. Most definitely, if she is a person who doesn't feel comfortable fostering a close, personal relationship with her coach, and if Robin Wagner is a "touchy, feely" type, then they simply won't be compatible - at least not to Sasha's satisfaction. If Sasha feels the necessity to switch coaches, then I certainly agree that it would be in her best interest to take care of business ASAP so that she and her new coach/coaches can develop a good working relationship that will be mutually satisfactory and will carry them through the 2006 Olympic season.

Whatever she decides to do, I wish Sasha the best. I also wish Robin the best, as she has proved herself to be an excellent skating coach.

Maybe Callaghan or Carroll would be a good fit for her. They both seem to be at the opposite end of the touchy feely spectrum to the point of being cold and distant.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SkateFan,

Perhaps you missed it, but I posted a question to you earlier in the thread.

I've read some disturbing reports about the apparent cooling of the relationship ...
Once again, could you please direct us to these written reports. Thanks!

taf2002

Rinkside
I have no idea if Sasha & RW will split or not, but I think they are a terrible fit. I think Sasha has regressed since RW. And I don't think Robin can take credit for Sasha's world silver. The way she was skating last year with TT it was very likely she would have been on the podium anyway. But the LP program was a total snooze-where were all her beautiful moves? And she still wasn't clean. At least with TT the program was beautiful.

BTW, I don't think the words Sasha, edges, and superb should be in the same sentence. She has improved her edges but they still don't compare with any of the other top 10 ladies. This is especially obvious when you see her live.

I thought Richard Callaghan did very well with Kirk's jumps. They had improved tremendously by Skate America and US Nats last year. However, no coach can perform the skate on the ice. The skater has to do that without faltering.

Joe

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
I think seeing her edges live prove she has good edges, but I was watching a lot of Sasha not other skaters or skater.
I do agree about the beautiful moves, she needs to bring them back, the only think Sasha was missing was a clean program, but now she took everything out. Hopefully after her injury is better she will have everything back.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't get how everyone knocks Sasha's edges... she does her spirals on an edge and she gets superb extension plus she holds the postion. She's also a fantastic spinner and she does most of her spins on an edge. Doing these things involves more edge control than just stroking on the ice. Most of the ladies in the top 10 can't even touch Sasha in spins and spirals. Now Sasha's stroking skills do need work, however she does not have poor edge control. Ironically everyone is singing Sarah's praises for her stroking and edges, but quite frankly despite that, I don't think there are a lot of people who really *love* Sarah's skating. Good stroking and edges don't really mean anything when you don't have decent body line and posture. Plus Sarah really wasn't that great a spinner and her spiral was adequate (despite her superior edge control).

jesslily

Final Flight
Besides jumps and edges, Sasha has some great things that you can not find from her competitors, such as chrisma, extention, dancing ability...
Because she is special, there are three threads here talking about her, obviously people like to talk about her, like to watch her skating.

curious

Final Flight
Yags had the best technical coach Mishin and was already a world champ before he came to TT. Tarasova gave him a more artistic style and great choreo that's all. I think Mishin would be great for Sasha but Mishin is more strict than Tarasova.

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha would have to go to Russia to train under Mishin. NOT going to happen. I can't see the Cohen clan moving that far in support of Sasha's career.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
curious said:
Yags had the best technical coach Mishin and was already a world champ before he came to TT. Tarasova gave him a more artistic style and great choreo that's all. I think Mishin would be great for Sasha but Mishin is more strict than Tarasova.
I think she also gave him the confidence to win. Also Mishin doesn't believe in sports psychologists, and I am not sure Alexei could have won OGM without Zacharov.

Also, we can look at Kulik. He came to Tarasova having learned technique from Kudryavtsev. Of course, Sasha could not go to him as he already coaches all top Russian ladies except for Irina.