New Member Here! | Golden Skate

New Member Here!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi skating fans!

Been watching figure skating since the Katarina Witt days, so, yeah older fan here! LOL (49 yrs)

Name is Chuck and I'm from NJ.

Been watching the games, and exploring here at the same time. Since most of my friends aren't into the sport, it will be nice to have people to chat with about it! I will admit the new scoring system has me a bit confused, but I think I'm finally catching on.

But I have to ask......what are 'carrots'? :scratch2:

See ya in the threads!

berry8

Final Flight
Hi there! You can share your opinion with tons of FS fans on this board [emoji16]
Hope you'll love this forum as much as we all do.

Carrot stands for under - rotation as the symbol used to call UR on protocols ( this one < ) resembles a carrot [emoji3]

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi skating fans!

Been watching figure skating since the Katarina Witt days, so, yeah older fan here! LOL (49 yrs)

Been watching the games, and exploring here at the same time. Since most of my friends aren't into the sport, it will be nice to have people to chat with about it! I will admit the new scoring system has me a bit confused, but I think I'm finally catching on.

See ya in the threads!

Welcome!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Hello! I am very outspoken but I don't bite I promise :) *unless you don't like my faves :devil:* just kidding :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi skating fans!

See ya in the threads!

Welcome! 49 years is a youngster; some of us remember Janet Lynn ;)

And I am in Eastern PA, so good to see a Jersey boy on the forum.:)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi skating fans!

Welcome CellarDweller! My first recollection is watching Scottie Allen in the 1964 Olympics with my mom during the scratchy black-and-white TV broadcast. You are definitely a youngster! So far we've had 3 out of 4 awesome disciplines (4 out of 5 if you count the Team Event), and I'm sure the ladies won't disappoint...My avatar gives away who my favorite is...Enjoy, and again, welcome!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'll have more time to catch up around here once the Olympics and Worlds are done. For now, I'm hanging out in the threads for the Olympics.

rvi5

On the Ice
...But I have to ask......what are 'carrots'? :scratch2:

Welcome.

As berry8 explained, the < symbol is used to flag an under rotated jump in the judges protocol listings. As you noticed, people are calling it a “carrot”. I suspect it may have derived its name from the word “caret”, which is actually this similar symbol ^.

ETA:

carrot (<) = an under rotated caret (^) ;)