Jason Brown reportedly leaving Kori Ade? | Golden Skate

Jason Brown reportedly leaving Kori Ade?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
According to a TSL tweet. Which I think is pretty reliable.

I think it is a god move. Hasn't he been with her since he started skating? He is trying out new coaches.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
According to a TSL tweet. Which I think is pretty reliable.

I think it is a god move. Hasn't he been with her since he started skating? He is trying out new coaches.

I've been calling this for a long time. If he wants to continue to progress he needed to leave Kori AND Rohene.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Let's just be careful to remember that until Jason or Kori Abe confirms this it is just speculation.

There is an opening with Brian if Javi is retiring. I'd love to see Jason go to Brian. I thought he and Hanyu were quite friendly and Toronto is a big place with lot of stuff for Jason to do and see and be part of.

mrrice

Record Breaker
If this is true, I think he should beg Brian Orser or Eteri to take him on.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's just be careful to remember that until Jason or Kori Abe confirms this it is just speculation.

There is an opening with Brian if Javi is retiring. I'd love to see Jason go to Brian. I thought he and Hanyu were quite friendly and Toronto is a big place with lot of stuff for Jason to do and see and be part of.

FWIW, Jason hasn't been in Colorado for a little while and has been training in Palm Springs. It sounds like Frank is retiring, so it's probably just a session if he is indeed shopping around, i.e. I don't see Frank being his full-time coach.

I'm quite surprised by this if true.

ETA: Apparently the greater LA area... who is around anyway to tryout with?

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
eteri has never coached a men single skater with a quad successfully, except for maybe Moritz K..

just please no tom z.

don't think Raf tough style is especially attractive for Jason ... maybe Brian, although I hope for someone else to go to Brian ...

s_parks

Record Breaker
People have been saying that he's trying out in california- with derrick delmore, apparently. Don't know much about him as a coach aside from the fact that he's been with adam in the k&c and coaches starr andrews.
And I'm not sure orser would take on more pupils anyways- he might be focusing on his younger up-and-coming skaters cha and gogolev. not to mention that hanyu and fernandez have not said they're immediately retiring.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think Orser would be a good fit because he still cares about the programs and other technical skills, he wouldn't kill the flexibility and expression Jason is able to offer.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
But, what does Jason want? at 23yo what does he needs to achieve success? I guess he would like another US title and go to 2022 Olympics...

Just because you'll never win a world or Olympic medal doesn't make it not worth competing and improving, IMO.

And keep spending money on coaching? Sure.

I think he has the qualities to skate in a show, so he could turn pro in that sense. Whatever works for him.

But also, then why change coaches?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm I thought he would retire, honestly. I'm not sure if he'll ever be competitive enough. :confused2:

Jason's never made any secret of the fact that he plans to continue to 2022. And who knows? The rule changes may benefit him.

It's TSL people. Until Jason or Kori, or someone reliable like Jackie, confirms it, my money is on TSL rumour-mongering for attention.

And how stupid do they think Jason is? He's not going to do anything drastic right before Worlds - not with Adam and Nathan possibly uncertain.

andromache

Record Breaker
And keep spending money on coaching? Sure.

I think he has the qualities to skate in a show, so he could turn pro in that sense. Whatever works for him.

But also, then why change coaches?

Sometimes you need to change coaches to improve.

And there are plenty of skaters who have goals of reaching Worlds or Olympics even without medal hopes. I imagine those are realistic goals for Jason, along with attaining a consistent quad in competition. Maybe he doesn't want to forever be that US guy who just never got a quad, and wants to achieve that before he retires?

He's 23, which is plenty young enough to keep competing and making meaningful improvements to his skating. Medals aren't the end-all-be-all of sport, otherwise we would only see 6-10 skaters bother competing.