Zagitova edges out Medvedeva for Oly Gold | Golden Skate

Zagitova edges out Medvedeva for Oly Gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zagitova edges out Medvedeva for Olympic Gold

The Figure Skating event at the 2018 Winter Olympics concluded with the Ladies Free Skate on Friday at the Gangneung Ice Arena in Pyeongchang. Alina Zagitova (OAR) edged out teammate Evgenia Medvedva to win Olympic gold, while Kaetlyn Osmond of Canada won the bronze in what turned out to be an exciting and nail-biting event.

Zagitova, the leader after the short program, admitted to being nervous going into the free skate.

“I was more calm in the short program because I understood I had no room for error and I have to skate clean,” she explained. “There was a lot of pressure on me and Zhenia (Medvedeva). All fans were waiting for us athletes from Russia to be on top.”

The skater, who has been undefeated in all events this season, left off a triple loop on her opening triple Lutz combination, but tacked in on to another triple Lutz later in the program.

“We discussed this with my coach, so in case the first combination doesn’t work out, I will do the second Lutz with the loop,” explained Zagitova. “Honestly, I was in shock, because I was ready to (do) everything on the first try. But this can happen. Each athlete has to deal with it and it is another experience that I went through.”

In all, she landed a total of seven clean triple jumps, earning high grades of execution (GOE) on all elements, including her level 4 spins and footwork. The 2018 European champion earned 156.65 for her brilliant skate to Don Quixote.

“I won!” said the 15-year-old who earned a total of 239.57 points. “Honestly, my hands are shaking, because I haven’t understood yet that I am an Olympic champion. When I saw the score, I was surprised and it was a nice surprise. I am glad that I was able to deal with my nervousness, go out there and skate my program calmly.”

The young skater, who trains under Eteri Tutberidze and Sergei Dudakov, was glad to be able to show what she had worked on.

“I didn’t feel the competition,” she said of her performance, “but that I don’t have any room for errors. “That was a motivation and anxiety at the same time. My hands were shaking, but my body remembered what I’ve been doing many times in practice.”

More...

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to Zagitova. Deserved winner. Since i knew that i will be a Zagitova -Medvedeva battle, Zagitova was the Russian that i wanted to win. She has more technical merit and she's almost at the same level than Medvedeva on artistic side.
Medvedeva did her max. She got a PB TES (i don't really count WTT which was a joke). Nothing to be ashamed. But she lost cause she didn't improve her tech these last four years. If she really wanted to win, she should have do an harder tech, not to wait for Zagitova 's mistakes. She should have go get that title herself and not expect judges to do it for her.
I told you guys that Osmond will go clean! In fact near clean, that was not the most beautiful lutz in history. But she did it! The bronze was between her and Kostner and i'm really glad that she won it.

Xzander

Rinkside
I immediately thought of this too! Now I hope that they don't both follow Yana and Rita post Olympic career but they stick for at least a couple of years.
Anyway, big congratulations to Alina! :)

Yana and Rita probably couldn't survive in the Averina era. Kinda similar situation in figure skating in a couple of years.

lappo

Final Flight
Yana and Rita probably couldn't survive in the Averina era. Kinda similar situation in figure skating in a couple of years.

I know, I know...but for all the Averina's incredible skills, that I enjoy very much, Yana... :love:
And with what Eteri junior and Kihara are putting out I don't think many of the current ladies will be competitive enough...even though the new -5/5 system could maybe rebalance the situation a bit.
Anyway, it's kind of good that I'm not invested in any particular lady anymore so that I don't have problem with Alina winning and truly wish that she is able to appreciate her moment.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
It was redoubtable when, after having missed the first combo (and presumably in trepidation, having intuited she cannot not let the door open wider,) she attacked with full speed to pull off the 3Lz-3Lo. The aplomb, the equanimity. At 15. Why, I wouldn't mind at all such a superb athlete getting the meed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If Zagitova wins Worlds she will be the only lady to win all majors titles in one season. All previous olympics champs of "modern era" (with GPF and 4CC) didn't do that.

Sam L

Medalist
If Zagitova wins Worlds she will be the only lady to win all majors titles in one season. All previous olympics champs of "modern era" (with GPF and 4CC) didn't do that.

The Grand Slam

GGFan

Record Breaker
Regardless of my thoughts on what she can improve, Alina put on a performance for the ages! The mental strength to come out and do what she did is so admirable. I never tire of her loop combo and her Rippons are gorgeous.

Congrats on an amazing debut Olympics! :clap:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Congrats to Alina! Junior champion last year and olympic champion this year at 15 years of age! Unreal! And she didn't win the ladies olympic gold in shaky style like in 1992 which was a mess. This was greatness in Alina edging greatness and historic greatness at that in Zhenya because Zhenya did not lose for almost 2 years until Europeans last month. Both were deserving of gold but only one could win.

On a side note they both came up huge for Russia which had no gold medals in these games until this event. Russian sports is a mess with all the doping issues. So for these 2 teenagegers could carry 140 million Russian people of their fragile shoulders in the glamour even of the winter olympics is one of the greatest things I have seen in sports in recent memory. Zhenya must be disappointed just missing gold but she should be proud too.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Yuna do it all in 2010? I guess not. Russia better let Alina go to worlds. They did not let Adelina go after Sochi and she never got to show off her olympic gold at worlds. Do not hold Alina back let her try to make history at worlds. You can't babay these girls they babies Adelina and she ended up getting hurt anyway. Let Alina slow down after worlds and maybe rest more the next couple of years so she can figure out if she wants to make a run at 2022.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I won't agree that it's a performance for the ages but she did well under the circumstances (pressure, nervousness and so on...). I really think artistically she needs to improve more, but on the other hand she pulled out a great TES. This program worked well with her (though some parts of the program seemed rushed to me). Honestly, 'am not a fan of the 'tano queen' so I was rooting for her, and definitely happy she had won:thumbsup:. I look forward to seeing how Alina will grow from here on (assuming she won't retire so soon, and I hope not). Congratulations once again!:clap:

Nika09

On the Ice
Yaaas for Zagi winning this!
Wish she could celebrate this as much as spectators. She seems like great kid with enormous pressure firstly from her training group. Poor child, Olympic champion then, was kind of afraid even express her feelings after Medvedeva"s scores show up. And that weird tension in K&C after her own FS scores. Know one thing for sure, i"d never send my own kid to Eteri, even she could make them x time Champion.

Again, congratulations Alina!