Thanks CBC | Golden Skate

Thanks CBC

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
If there could be a gold medal awarded for covering the Olympics and figure skating in particular, CBC should be awarded for their hard work and wonderful coverage. Having Kurt Browning, Carol Lane and Brenda Irving covering the skating was an added bonus. They were at all times respectful, professional and helpful in explaining what was happening on the ice. Awesome job!!

:medal":cheer::thank:

dailytg20

On the Ice
100% agreed. Between the respectful coverage—sometimes being completely silent through a program—to their winning the Team Gold and individual medals and cheering in the background for other countries, I was already floating halfway north until a POTUS tweet slapped me back to reality.

And I was really touched by how genuinely empathetic they were during Gabrielle's rough FS. I'm sure if it were in the US, the skater would have been ripped to shreds with Tara adding, "Well back in Nagano when I won the gold..."

Thanks, Canada!

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Their coverage was fantastic! :) The website, particularly the video section, is wonderful, with not only entire event replays, but 'cut-down' replays that just show the Canadian skaters and the top skaters. The commentators, especially Kurt, were great too!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Agreed, in additional to their educational and mostly unbiased commentary, I am really happy that the CBC full event feed showed all the skaters, staying inside the rink with no fluff pieces, and only cut to commercials during the warm-up groups. Contrast this to CTV only coverage, they most likely would force the user to have a Bell Cable subscription to watch their stream and not have full events archived, at least that's how it is for the final groups of Canadian Nationals. Hopefully CBC continues to host the Olympics.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Absolutely. Best Olympics coverage since the heyday of ABC on US television. First rate commentary that was witty and insightful and educational. Sorry SarrahSynchro, but I will be VPNing CBC from now on. Perhaps that will make me an even more honorary Canadian.
[need maple leaf icon to be put here on a red/white/blue background]

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
100% agreed. Between the respectful coverage—sometimes being completely silent through a program—to their winning the Team Gold and individual medals and cheering in the background for other countries, I was already floating halfway north until a POTUS tweet slapped me back to reality.

And I was really touched by how genuinely empathetic they were during Gabrielle's rough FS. I'm sure if it were in the US, the skater would have been ripped to shreds with Tara adding, "Well back in Nagano when I won the gold..."

Thanks, Canada!

Tara won a gold medal? Who knew?

:rolleye:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Absolutely. Best Olympics coverage since the heyday of ABC on US television. First rate commentary that was witty and insightful and educational. Sorry SarrahSynchro, but I will be VPNing CBC from now on. Perhaps that will make me an even more honorary Canadian.
[need maple leaf icon to be put here on a red/white/blue background]

Hey, I think it comes with the territory of being an FS fan, especially during the smaller events. Ironically, some of us Canadians were able to watch US nationals from a Chinese streamer. :laugh:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
None of the videos i saw on the internet comes from their coverage, I hope they weren't rude as their usual with the russians especially during the ladies event and ice dance.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What I enjoyed most was being able to see every skater in every event either online or on my actual television. My computer screen is small and my tv is large so I actually prefer to watch on the tv. I also liked that the online coverage was free.

I'm looking forward to worlds because I think we will be back to live steaming with no commentary. I don't mind Kurt and Carol but I've actually come to really enjoy commentary free coverage. It makes me less passive in my watching.

Bravo CBC!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Whole Post

I agree (minus the TV part since I don't have a TV anymore). CBC has all grand prixs too except Skate Canada. I remember a few years ago, I had to resort to watching Eurosport for example on the shady ad-filled streaming websites (even getting some anti-virus alerts). Now they have both the commentary-free version and the aired version with commentary. I also prefer no commentary watching live since it makes me feel part of the crowd.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I agree (minus the TV part since I don't have a TV anymore). CBC has all grand prixs too except Skate Canada. I remember a few years ago, I had to resort to watching Eurosport for example on the shady ad-filled streaming websites (even getting some anti-virus alerts). Now they have both the commentary-free version and the aired version with commentary. I also prefer no commentary watching live since it makes me feel part of the crowd.

And even though they didn't show Europeans on the actual website you could access the Eurovision feed through the ISU website for free. (Thanks Auser for letting me know about that last year).

All in all CBC is pretty great if you are a figure skating fan and have a decent internet connection. Not perfect but definitely a 9.25 PE.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
CBC Saturday morning quiz show, Because News with Gavin Crawford, featured ice skating trivia. They played an audio clip of Tessa and Scott's FD, accompanied by that passionate CBC French announcer, Monsieur Oui, Oui, Oui, Oui!!!. Canadian/Scottish Country singer, Johnny Reid, commented after hearing the clip ,...''I think I need a smoke after that, and I don't even smoke!" :laugh2: :rofl: :points:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
None of the videos i saw on the internet comes from their coverage, I hope they weren't rude as their usual with the russians especially during the ladies event and ice dance.

Note to self,...don't feed a Troll....never feed a Troll.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Note to self,...don't feed a Troll....never feed a Troll.

They were rude in the past and some skater addressed this as much as D/R know Tarasova and Trankov were rude to them, and sometimes even Johnny and Tara can be rude and we all know that.

So not trolling just stating the facts.

Tarasova wasn't rude with anyone this time at the Olympics so i hope CBC wasn't as well, i don't really like this PR marketing its own skaters while bashing the others regardless of which side is doing it: wrong way of being nationalistic.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I'm sorry Osmond4gold but commentators on CBC are very often too partial to their own athletes and have a way of delivering back-handed "compliments" to their competitors that can be quite insulting. I avoid CBC's coverage because of it. So I understand Tostoj's reluctance. Nothing "trolly" about it.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I'm sorry Osmond4gold but commentators on CBC are very often too partial to their own athletes and have a way of delivering back-handed "compliments" to their competitors that can be quite insulting. I avoid CBC's coverage because of it. So I understand Tostoj's reluctance. Nothing "trolly" about it.

Yes, there have been times in the past like this year's Cup of Russia and Cup of China where they did make certain comments. As far as this OG broadcast, they have been pretty fair. In the dance event, for example, they were complimentary towards B/S and were professional in how they presented V/M vs. P/C.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Yes, and one can assume without actually having knowledge or verification of proof, as a certain poster admitted. My point is, do the research first before making a comment based on assumptions, or you could end up as looking...foolish.

For the record peepsquick, this would not be the 1st time a certain poster attacked a certain Commentator and CBC on this forum, when said Commentator wasn't even in the broadcasting business at the time, nor did CBC even have the rights for broadcasting the event he criticized them for. Lazy assumptions or misnomers, are often made on this site by this poster, just so you know.

So, not taking the time to educate or review any video or recent references, or do the research required to make an informed opinion, but heck, I will make a comment anyways based on my opinion and then BOLT, because if truth be told, I know nothing. Classic Trolling to me!

icetigger

On the Ice
I agree with Tolstoj. Considering how Lane and Browning and others for CBC have behaved and spoken for the past year, which has been disgusting and unsportsmanly, for them to be able to be lauded for their coverage of this Olympics, well, all I can say is that they must have had personality transplants. Of course, clips from the Olympics with CBC commentary aren't freely available all over youtube for us non-Canadians to make our own judgement directly. But I strongly suspect that it is highly unlikely that anything has changed.