Redemption at Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Redemption at Worlds?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Let's be honest, Italy is winning the Bronze in Dance at Worlds as long as they skate "clean" (also good fortunes for Pairs and Ladies, although it's unlikely Kostner skates clean). The ISU will decide which American team they want to see win Silver and then the other two, and the two Canadian teams, will be held down below C/L. Canada will retain 3 spots in Dance still and America will get the best medal anyone can hope for with Papadakis/Cizeron in the event, so the federations will all walk away satisfied.

I’d love for Ivett Toth, Nicole Rajicova and Wakaba- her in particular- to hit the top 10. Wakaba is easily capable of snapping up a medal.

I’d also love to see Stanislava Konstantinova having a go- particularly to annoy all her haters!- as it’d be interesting to see two Russian ladies do v different interpretations of Anna Karenina in the free.

Also, I really wouldn’t mind if none of the Olympic medalists failed to show as it’d give others a chance to medal.

karakaka

Rinkside
Also, I really wouldn’t mind if none of the Olympic medalists failed to show as it’d give others a chance to medal.

Yep, exactly haha. I want Boyang, Nathan, Wakaba, Satoko, Caro (it's in Italy, so if she's retiring, this would be a great way to go out), J/C (w/ a clean throw 4S), and H/D on their respective podiums, and uh, that's not all going to happen if everyone shows up haha.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Yep, exactly haha. I want Boyang, Nathan, Wakaba, Satoko, Caro (it's in Italy, so if she's retiring, this would be a great way to go out), J/C (w/ a clean throw 4S), and H/D on their respective podiums, and uh, that's not all going to happen if everyone shows up haha.

It seems that out of the 4 disciplines, men's may be the most open with Yuzuru, Javi, Patrick, Adam from the top 10 unlikely or not going.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see great skates for Nathan, Karen, Mirai......with two clean 3As for Mirai!

(hey, a guy can dream, right?)

brightphoton

Medalist
I’d love for Ivett Toth, Nicole Rajicova and Wakaba- her in particular- to hit the top 10. Wakaba is easily capable of snapping up a medal.

I’d also love to see Stanislava Konstantinova having a go- particularly to annoy all her haters!- as it’d be interesting to see two Russian ladies do v different interpretations of Anna Karenina in the free.

Actually, I'd like Ivett Toth from Hungary to be the new Laura Lepisto from Finland. If the Olympic medalists are tired, others could sneak on for a bronze medal at Worlds.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Actually, I'd like Ivett Toth from Hungary to be the new Laura Lepisto fromI l Finland. If the Olympic medalists are tired, others could sneak on for a bronze medal at Worlds.

I like Ivett Toth, but I think she's very far from bronze medal position at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Hasn't Sotskova already been named as #3 for Russia? Or did they not name anyone yet?

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Nathan isn’t just sick but also injured. Unless the injury predates the Olympics, in which case... erugh.

I like Ivett Toth, but I think she's very far from bronze medal position at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Hasn't Sotskova already been named as #3 for Russia? Or did they not name anyone yet?
No shade to Sotskova- she’s a beautifully elegant skater, but would love to see Stasya going for it, and I think she’d be better-received at senior worlds, personally.

pearly

Record Breaker
I am positive that with no Olympic pressure and with being back to their regular competition schedule and format many who faltered in Korea will do well:

Daleman
Nagasu
Chen (if he goes)
Tarasova and Morozov

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Looking/hoping for strong comebacks by:

Daleman
Higuchi
Tennell
Chen (both of them)
Tarasova/Morosov
Hubbell/Donahue
Chock/Bates

Roo87

Medalist
It would be hard for both Weaver/Poje and Cappellini / LaNotte to win World medals---it all depends on who goes to Worlds and who doesn't.

Here was the finish order at the Os:

1. V/M - probably not going
2. P/C - probably will go because they want their World Championship back
3. Shibutanis - probably will go
4. Hubbell / Donohue - certainly will go
5. Bobrova / Soloviev - probably not
6. Cappellini / LaNotte - it's their country - definitely will
7. Weaver / Poje

Unless the Shibs decide not to go (unlikely), there is one podium spot up for grabs. Papadakis / Cizeron will regain their world title for sure, and other than V/M and P/C, the Shibs have been bested this year only by their teammates H/D. And it's H/D who C/L and W/P have to get past to win a spot on the podium. And C/L have home ice advantage.

One other possibility: Chock/Bates had a rough go in the FD partly because of Maddy's sore ankle. She will have 3.5 weeks to heal and they could have a redemption event at Worlds.

but W/p were under-marked in their SD, so I think they should have placed higher.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but W/p were under-marked in their SD, so I think they should have placed higher.

Weaver/Poje got three L3s in their SD: in both steps and in their twizzles. They had the lowest TES of the three
Bobrova/Soloviev also got three L3s: pattern, both steps, but with higher GOE. They had the highest PCS of the three
Chock/Bates got all L4s except for L3 in the no-touch step sequence. They had the highest TES of the three

The placements:
TES / PCS
1. 38.36 37.11 B/S
2. 39.39 36.06 C/B
3. 37.65 36.68 W/P

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

I think they were under marked in the FD as well. I think that's the lowest score they got all season despite a level 4 diagonal step, although twizzles were also level 2 here.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
he's also injured? [emoji33]

Yeah, I knew I wasn’t misremembering. According to Raf, he injured his left leg three weeks prior to Olympics and it’s still in pain (not fully healed?), so here’s hoping nothing was made worse at the Olympics. Though, frankly, it sounds like the bigger problem is his parents. The interview is worth a read.

Roo87

Medalist
Weaver/Poje got three L3s in their SD: in both steps and in their twizzles. They had the lowest TES of the three
Bobrova/Soloviev also got three L3s: pattern, both steps, but with higher GOE. They had the highest PCS of the three
Chock/Bates got all L4s except for L3 in the no-touch step sequence. They had the highest TES of the three

The placements:
TES / PCS
1. 38.36 37.11 B/S
2. 39.39 36.06 C/B
3. 37.65 36.68 W/P

what level they got, and what level they deserved, are two different things.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I wish a bit of redemption for so many...T/M (despite their awful programme, they're good skaters), my beloved Boyang, Nathan, Gabby especially because she's so good when she's at it, Mirai, C/B who are great dancers but had a nasty fall, C/L, Carolina, all Japanese women, Loena (who did well, but can do even better)...and I truly hope S/H will do good too. Lovely pair - but S/M were just too good (my favourite programme of the olympics) this time. Oh, and I do hope P/C will get the WC back. Definitely hope V/M are not coming back (sorry V/M fans - I haven't liked them since 2014, and still don't however good they are...it's the one outcome of these Olympics that really made me unhappy), but I would like W/P to get back on the podium. I really like them as an ice dancing pair. Much under valued.